Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 02:17 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
By the way I might have missed it, what year is your GT-R? What do you like most and least about yours?
Mine is a '12 black edition. It replaced a Mercedes G55. I have two Lamborghini's so I already had sports cars, the Mercedes was incredibly unreliable, so I thought to myself, well, there's no other SUV that looks nearly as unique as the G55, so I don't think I want a new SUV, but I have to get something, let's try the GT-R since it's so dramatically different than the Lambos. I took a ride in a friend's at the track and was blown away by how a stock "not exotic" car could perform, lap after lap. I bought one and absolutely love the thing. It gets far more driving time than my other cars. Is it as "fun", for me yes, but if I have passengers, including my wife, they all prefer the loud color, screaming exhaust Italian options in the garage even though the cars aren't as fast nor do they handle or brake as well. There's really nothing I don't like about it; it's very reliable, I get it serviced at a Nissan dealer, my insurance is less than the other cars, I can park it at the mall and except for 'car guys', no one thinks anything of it, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 02:27 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Mine is a '12 black edition. It replaced a Mercedes G55. I have two Lamborghini's so I already had sports cars, the Mercedes was incredibly unreliable, so I thought to myself, well, there's no other SUV that looks nearly as unique as the G55, so I don't think I want a new SUV, but I have to get something, let's try the GT-R since it's so dramatically different than the Lambos. I took a ride in a friend's at the track and was blown away by how a stock "not exotic" car could perform, lap after lap. I bought one and absolutely love the thing. It gets far more driving time than my other cars. Is it as "fun", for me yes, but if I have passengers, including my wife, they all prefer the loud color, screaming exhaust Italian options in the garage even though the cars aren't as fast nor do they handle or brake as well. There's really nothing I don't like about it; it's very reliable, I get it serviced at a Nissan dealer, my insurance is less than the other cars, I can park it at the mall and except for 'car guys', no one thinks anything of it, etc.
Any downsides to ownership as of yet?

Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 AM

600 posts, read 659,997 times
Quote:

Amen!

and this coming from someone who has actually owned the 'panache-mobiles' yet can still appreciate the proven capabilities of the GTR.

its good to see that everyone doesn't have to depend on elitism and pretentiousness to prove themselves to others and/or denigrate what they consider below their station!

Old 04-06-2014, 03:38 AM

I loved my old school Ferrari, it was a beast, it had four carbeurators and was loud as hell, but still something about the engine kept me motivated years later to seek speed, not I seek tech more than speed. The tech in the GT-R is what really drew me to consider buying one...

Old 04-06-2014, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Any downsides to ownership as of yet?
None really; I even get 24 mpg highway. If I wanted to nit pick, I would probably complain about:

• The stock brake pads are fairly aggressive, so they generate a LOT of dust, far more than even the Pagid autocross pads I run on my Gallardo, and make a lot of noise. That doesn't bother me, but I know some people get self conscious about their expensive car squeaking its way to a stop at traffic lights.
  • The cruise control has an obnoxiously bright green light on the dash when it's just in active mode, and a second of the same when you set a speed. I find it annoying at night.
  • It beeps when you're in reverse.
  • The water drainage gulleys around the trunk lid are designed in a way that appears to have been specifically to attract and hold as much plant debris as possible. Drive it a few times or park under a tree and so much crap accumulates in there that rain water can end up in your trunk if you don't keep them cleaned out.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 AM

Other than those little issues, all of which are very minor, I'd say you are happiest with the GT-R, even over your higher end rides?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 AM

Overall satisfaction I'd say definitely. Every time I look at the car I admire the engineering behind it and am thankful it's got "Nissan quality." Especially this week lol; my Murcielago just had a $9800 repair bill because the alarm failed, so of course a new one needed to be purchased from Italy. I had to replace all 12 ignition coils because water had gotten into them due to a design flaw (on the plus side, I've probably been running on mostly only eight cylinders since I bought the car [2003 model year] five years ago, so it is like a whole new car now). Had the plugs replaced as good measure. Oil change. Third brake light failed.

However, the Nissan is not a car that just stirs your inner car loving soul like the others. For example, a little Lambo history for you. A guy named Valentino Balboni started working at Lamborghini in the 60's. He worked his way up to be in charge of road testing all completed vehicles before they're loaded up for shipping. For most of the 40 years preceeding about 2010 when he finally retired, nearly every completed Lamborghini was test driven by this one man. I heard he was in the country at an event at Sebring the same weekend I was going to be there to race, so I drove my Gallardo down there that weekend; it's fun fitting your luggage into that thing. I did indeed meet him and he was one of the most gracious people I've ever met. He took pictures with my wife and I and he signed my car in the door frame area and wrote "Thank you; enjoy your Lamborghini" and signed/dated. Every time I drive the car I think about meeting the guy that put ten or fifteen miles on it driving around the Italian countryside. Doesn't have the performance of the GT-R, but something about it makes you just feel so great when you're driving it and the Nissan will never elicit those kinds of feelings.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
However, the Nissan is not a car that just stirs your inner car loving soul like the others. For example, a little Lambo history for you. A guy named Valentino Balboni started working at Lamborghini in the 60's. He worked his way up to be in charge of road testing all completed vehicles before they're loaded up for shipping. For most of the 40 years preceeding about 2010 when he finally retired, nearly every completed Lamborghini was test driven by this one man. I heard he was in the country at an event at Sebring the same weekend I was going to be there to race, so I drove my Gallardo down there that weekend; it's fun fitting your luggage into that thing. I did indeed meet him and he was one of the most gracious people I've ever met. He took pictures with my wife and I and he signed my car in the door frame area and wrote "Thank you; enjoy your Lamborghini" and signed/dated. Every time I drive the car I think about meeting the guy that put ten or fifteen miles on it driving around the Italian countryside. Doesn't have the performance of the GT-R, but something about it makes you just feel so great when you're driving it and the Nissan will never elicit those kinds of feelings.
That's awesome. It's the backstory and the history that go along with certain cars that is part of their appeal.

My father was into Porsches when I was just a kid, went to a few Porsche Parades back in the day, etc. Got to meet Ferry Porsche himself once, back in the 80's. My father's not the best with names/faces, he just assumed the guy was another Porsche enthusiast staying at the hotel for the Parade, had a drink with him and talked cars for about half an hour until it clicked who he was having drinks with!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:24 AM

600 posts, read 659,997 times
anyone who claims the GTR doesn't have history, really doesn't know what they're talking about.

as a matter of fact, any autos that have survived, and in some cases thrived, to become storied nameplates of performance automobiles has a history and heritage; and all of them are not European!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
anyone who claims the GTR doesn't have history, really doesn't know what they're talking about.

as a matter of fact, any autos that have survived, and in some cases thrived, to become storied nameplates of performance automobiles has a history and heritage; and all of them are not European!
I don't think anyone here has suggested the GTR doesn't have history, or that only European cars do. But, you might want to use the quote function when you're trying to make a point, otherwise it just looks like you're arguing with no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive