Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

Very cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 04:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Good luck with yer car but the pics will surely bring nightmares tonight. My grandfather bought a 61 which looks a lot like your 63, same color-black. His had the 144 cu in Thrift Power 6 banger making 85HP bolted to an automatic. Top speed was around 72 mph. I drove him one summer from San Antonio to St Louis. It was a ride of terror considering there were few divided hiways back then. Attempting to pass an 18 wheeler means no other car could be in sight coming at you. It also meant if the truck was doing 65 mph you couldn't pass him at all. Making a run at passing a truck going 65 meant starting about 1/4 mile before you swing out but then you had to have enough power to push thru the air he's rolling in front of his truck. At 65 the Comet didn't have the balls to punch thru the air. It's a wonder we survived the trip. For a "compact" car though it rode real nice. His was pretty noisy with the engine screaming and the wind noise. Seems like we got something like 18-19 mpgs with it on that trip. That's pretty decent considering most of it was flat on the floor. He later traded it in on a Rambler. Gotta love the old folks back then.

I don't know a lot about the old Ford/Merc 6s but I've seen a few of the Indy 6s for sale. They are suppose to be a hot ticket in a Mustang. Bud of mine has one in his 66 Stang and it's pretty respectable considering.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:53 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
351 won't fit inbetween the shock towers. Needs a Mustang II conversion for that. the 289-302 fits, however, but everybody does that swap and I like the EFI 6 cyl.

Man after my own heart. Do something different.

Thanks. I'd say a lot, though it's not as big as it looks, considering the car is a compact, and not much longer than a '65 Mustang (and it's as narrow as a Miata).

These are cool cars. Glad you got it back on your place!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:55 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
I prefer the 70s mavrick/comet, but I'm happy you stuck with the six, everything doesn't have to be v8 powered.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:58 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Good luck with the car! It would be great to see it cleaned up, be sure to post some pictures when you get the detail done.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Sweet!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:36 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
It arrived late last night. Supposed to be here in the afternoon, according to dispatch, so I waited. Called the guy and he said he was stuck in traffic. So I waited some more. Finally at 7:30 PM, I called again. Turns out he was delivering a car to Philadelphia first, and nobody bothered to tell me. So he arrived in Baltimore at 11pm. Couldn't get the semi anywhere near my house, so he parked up on one of the main streets about a mile away. I met the driver there with a battery and some gas, unloaded it from the trailer. Oh, goody, it has a totally flat left rear tire. No air. Oh, well, it was dry rotted anyhow and was going to get replaced. Put the battery and gas in and fired it up. All the lights worked, so I drove it slowly around the truck, down to my street, then to the house. On the flat tire. Past the county police station. With 20+ year old Washington state plates and no registration, of course. By this time it was 11:30, so I didn't get pictures then, nor did I take the time to wash it, like I had planned.

I'll clean it up this weekend and inventory the car. Most parts are inside it (like the rest of the trim). The interior is on a bit worse condition than I remember it, but I expected that considering where it's sat for the last 16 years. I'm just surprised that it fired up and ran so well. Anyway, here it is at the house, finally, this morning:

First thing I know I'll be buying is new tires all around. Then a new gas tank (this one is all varnished up). Then we'll see about getting it painted. Then I'll tackle the interior, which is going to be a big chore. As I said, it's a bit worse off than I remember it, so all new door panels, seat upholstery and it looks like it might need a new headliner.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:42 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Good luck with yer car but the pics will surely bring nightmares tonight. My grandfather bought a 61 which looks a lot like your 63, same color-black. His had the 144 cu in Thrift Power 6 banger making 85HP bolted to an automatic. Top speed was around 72 mph.
Yeah, the 144 with the 2 speed autobox. No guts whatsoever. the 170 was better, but not much. I had one with a 3 on the tree in my '62 Comet which was my first car. Drove Ok to get around to school, but I don't think I woudl ahve wanted to do 70 on the highway.

Quote:
I don't know a lot about the old Ford/Merc 6s but I've seen a few of the Indy 6s for sale. They are suppose to be a hot ticket in a Mustang. Bud of mine has one in his 66 Stang and it's pretty respectable considering.
The one I'm looking at is the Aussie crossflow 6 cyl. 250 cid displacement (4.1 liter) and makes way more power than the 144/170, so even with a 3 speed autmatic, it'll go down the highway quite nicely. And it literally bolts in. Big thing will be to have brakes to match, as the original drums leave something to be desired.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
I wasn't interested at all until I saw the photoshopped pic. That could be very cool.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:39 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
That will be a beautiful car when it's all said and done. Looks like it's off to a solid start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive