Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 04:07 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times

Advertisements

Regardless of whether you drive or not. Or attend a community college or not. You need to grab ahold of yourself and pull it together.

READ, STUDY CURRENT EVENTS, LITERATURE, MUSIC. BE an interesting person that people want to meet and know. Meet as many people as you can and if you're an interesting person that people want to know and you will in short-order meet a lot of people they know. If you meet a woman and she's not interested in you, ask her if she might have a friend who would be interested in meeting a decent guy who's working on his education and has a bright future.

Also, when in school and meeting people and people they know, and people those people know, that is the best time to meet a nice woman to try to be with. You'll most likely be of similar age and interests. Once you move beyond your college years and on to the working world, it's harder to meet those with similar interests and background. Not impossible--just harder.

Go to community college in a program where CREDITS WILL TRANSFER to a state school. (many community college credits DO NOT TRANSFER and you'll go to state school basically as a freshman again). GET GOOD GRADES ALL THE TIME and make sure you're working on a good, MARKETABLE degree that will be in demand WHEN YOU GRADUATE, not one that is marketable right now, so you'll need to do your research and watch trends.

I wish I could be in your position again in my life. The above knowledge has been hard-learned and too late for me--but not FOR YOU! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 04:30 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Yes, I am serious. How else would you expect to go anywhere any time you want? Besides calling a taxi?

Is there a magic carpet service or something I dont know about? You gonna ride your bike 60 miles to get to your destination?

There is a difference in technologies... A car is a product of the 19th century.. The first cars use the SAME technology as your Honda Accord does...internal combustion.

GPS systems and guidance navigation and traffic controllers, this is fairly new civilian technology.

Youre twisting my previous statements. He doesnt NEED to have a car. If he lives in the right cities he'll never need a car.

Where I live and have held previous employment, I needed a car. My commute has been as long as 130 miles each day. Ive gone without a car and its really hard having JUST a bicycle. Especially in the Winter and when its raining.
Cars are often slower than transit in urban neighborhoods, certainly more expensive.
Who goes 60 miles on an average trip?
It is still technology. People like you said horses were better than cars, people before that said domesticating horses was insane, and here you are....

Cars are a fairly new technology as well, you think 100 years makes something old in relation to thousands? Cars are new.

He doesn't live where you live nor live the life you live.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:51 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Move to any large city and get over you dislike of Liberals. Liberals are just like Conservatives only with better educations. Contrary to popular and false beliefs Liberals do not hate Conservatives.
Am I the only one offended by this statement???

Old 04-05-2014, 05:12 PM

431 posts, read 599,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Am I the only one offended by this statement???
Yes

Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM

609 posts, read 807,925 times
Peter,
I think the chances of meeting a nice woman are zero without a car. She would have to walk, bike, or rollerskate across town to see you. Or, even worse, pick you up in her car. Her friends would call you a "scrub" like the TLC song. "Hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, tryin' to holler at me."

Old 04-05-2014, 06:28 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
In the university towns I have lived in, it's perfectly normal for a college student not to have a car. It's not like you can drive on campus.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 PM

746 posts, read 866,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
Peter,
I think the chances of meeting a nice woman are zero without a car. She would have to walk, bike, or rollerskate across town to see you. Or, even worse, pick you up in her car. Her friends would call you a "scrub" like the TLC song. "Hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, tryin' to holler at me."
Last time I checked not all women determined if they'd be with a guy for a stupid reason like owning a car. It costs money. And why should the guy have to always drive anyway? I thought those gender stereotypes were going away. I know women used to just be housewives and it sounds like men thought they were worthless aside from sex, cleaning, and making their lazy husbands good. There are MANY male chefs now. It's good women are getting more dominant roles in society, they used to be men's slaves pretty much. If they want to be the boss of guys I don't blame them, they used to be slaves to men. Women can be feminine without being in a submissive role in society.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:06 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Liberals are just like Conservatives only with better educations.
Not when you look at the education levels of Democratic and Republican voters.

Quote:
Contrary to popular and false beliefs Liberals do not hate Conservatives.
Then why the comments about educational attainment?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:09 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrooks View Post
You sound very needy and dependent. I'd talk to your counselor about that.
Yes. I think this is why he wants a "serious relationship" so badly. OP, that's the last thing you need to be worried about right now.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:33 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Cut the OP some slack. Remember when you were in the process of figuring out your life and next step? Remember how overwhelming it felt sometimes?

OP, as mentioned, you've been given some good advice. I hope that you do find a counselor or someone who can help you formulate achievable goals and get you started on that path.

In the meantime, relax! People are always moving around. You could be in the public library tomorrow and run into a nice lady, suitable for you, who is new to the area. Or you might soon be focused on exploring careers and find yourself really excited about your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive