Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
It was under $2 a gal because the economy was collapsing. Do you wish for that again?
Do you? Does anyone else here who is whining about high gas prices? And to what do we attribute today's gas prices -- a robust economic recovery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Obama's ludicrous boost as it relates to increasing ethanol mandates is a disaster for everybody, and the poor people which he and the Democrats allegedly represent will pay the prices for years to come.

That's in spite of the absurd notion that Democrats are friends of the little guy courtesy of our corrupt press not to mention our dreadful public schools, which certainly explains those skyrocketing poverty levels in California to the worst-in-the-nation level it currently 'enjoys' thanks to their policies, on top of the 200,000+ plus intelligent folks who left another liberal utopia called Chicago between 2000-10.

The Democratic Party's accelerating war against fracking won't do your wallet any good either, and especially with a super-extreme environmentalist in the White House, that war isn't about to end.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:55 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Obama's ludicrous boost as it relates to increasing ethanol mandates is a disaster for everybody, and the poor people which he and the Democrats allegedly represent will pay the prices for years to come.

That's in spite of the absurd notion that Democrats are friends of the little guy courtesy of our corrupt press not to mention our dreadful public schools, which certainly explains those skyrocketing poverty levels in California to the worst-in-the-nation level it currently 'enjoys' thanks to their policies, on top of the 200,000+ plus intelligent folks who left another liberal utopia called Chicago between 2000-10.

The Democratic Party's accelerating war against fracking won't do your wallet any good either, and especially with a super-extreme environmentalist in the White House, that war isn't about to end.
Guess who submitted the bill to end the ethanol subsidy? Democratic Senator Feinstein of California.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
By poor you mean 99% of us how work to support the 1% that never has too? Also, the 10% ethanol mandate is part of the clean air act signed by HW Bush in 1990.

Quote:
Actually, when poverty is measured on a per capita basis poor Southern red states have the highest percentages. Texas is 46 out of 50 for example. California holds the largest population, so it has the greatest amount, but not the highest percentage by far.
Fact Check dot org has awarded the greatest political lie of the year to right wing media in the last 5 of 6 years, so you may want to do some soul searching about corrupt media?

Quote:
I'm completely unaware of the Democratic parties anti fracking stance? Can this be proven in any way? People of both parties show concern for the environment as proven with bipartisan support of the clean air act alone. It seems you are very quick to paint labels with a broad brush. Ethanol's ideal is to minimize foreign sources of energy, or do you like supporting countries who teach against our freedoms?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 PM

67 posts, read 84,784 times
I just came back from the Middle East; about $15 to fill up a full Camry tank. I wish we had those days back in America.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I still remember when gas was $.89/gal in 1999 under Clinton. Thanks to Bush we will never see anywhere that low ever again.
If we're totally honest, the White House, whether under Bush or Obama, has very little influence on long-term trends of oil prices. At least not directly. Gas prices in the United States tend to mirror overall economic health; when people have more disposable income, they'll spend more on gas, and prices will rise with demand. Seasonal variations [which is what we are seeing right now] aside, this is how it happens to work out. I remember very clearly the winter after 9/11 when gas in Georgia was 90 cents/gal. And thank goodness, too; I was out of work that whole winter.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
This morning I see that we have dropped back down to $3.67.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 AM

135 posts, read 566,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
When you consider we have some of the lowest fuel costs in the world I won't complain. I will complain about tax credits given to them when it could be used to stimulate jobs like Roosevelt did in the 30's. Giving tax credits to companies that report 10 billion in profits in a single quarter just irks me.

Another widely held common misconception. They don't receive any tax credits outside of the typical deductions for large businesses. Wouldn't exactly call these credits though. This probably explains it better than I could though I doubt most will read it
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbla...s-for-big-oil/

Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric99gt View Post
Another widely held common misconception. They don't receive any tax credits outside of the typical deductions for large businesses. Wouldn't exactly call these credits though. This probably explains it better than I could though I doubt most will read it
Oil & Gas Tax Provisions Are Not Subsidies For "Big Oil" - Forbes
Poppycock

Energy subsidies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Still on a steady, fast rise here in the Seattle area- many stations went up another ten cents in the last couple of days, to $3.95. The lowest I've seen are at some grocery stores for $3.79, highest being some of the Shell stations at $3.99. Quite a jump from a few months ago when we were only paying $3.39!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive