Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:41 PM

30,561 posts, read 21,730,649 times

Advertisements

Seen a 4runner pulling someone over a couple of months ago...Freakee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:57 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,199,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Seen a 4runner pulling someone over a couple of months ago...Freakee!
I'm surprised they even stopped! I won't unless a MARKED car is present. In Illinois a marked car is usually close if a covert car makes a stop.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 PM

3,422 posts, read 3,317,583 times
I wondered: If an unmarked car, or some car you're not sure of, tries to pull you over, and you refuse to stop, couldn't the cop (if it IS a cop) charge you with resisting, or failure to stop? Even if you got on your cell phone and contacted local police and reported the vehicle in question?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I wondered: If an unmarked car, or some car you're not sure of, tries to pull you over, and you refuse to stop, couldn't the cop (if it IS a cop) charge you with resisting, or failure to stop? Even if you got on your cell phone and contacted local police and reported the vehicle in question?
Not if you explain your fear of impersonators. In my state they usually consider this,as long as you don't increase speed or elude, and pull over when a marked unit shows.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:47 AM

2,166 posts, read 3,106,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
If you don't make an attempt to flee, no. Slow to a reasonable speed. Put your flashers on and look for the next populated area. Also call 911 to let them know what is going on. Find a busy parking lot or something where other people are present. If a cop is in an unmarked car, he knows the drill. As long as you don't make any attempt to loose him.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:53 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,151,175 times
We have them in the UK as well.

Here's a blog about ways to spot them

Speedmonkey: How to spot an unmarked police car

Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
If you don't make an attempt to flee, no. Slow to a reasonable speed. Put your flashers on and look for the next populated area. Also call 911 to let them know what is going on. Find a busy parking lot or something where other people are present. If a cop is in an unmarked car, he knows the drill. As long as you don't make any attempt to loose him.
That's pretty much what I just explained above ^ in post #54.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,896,257 times
A couple of our local PD's have started using non traditional cars as unmarked cars. One community has a dark maroon Camry which is an unmarked patrol car.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
A couple of our local PD's have started using non traditional cars as unmarked cars. One community has a dark maroon Camry which is an unmarked patrol car.
Yeah, even minivans have become the norm now. Here they favor the dodge caravans.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:56 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,002,271 times
They're definitely harder to spot -- but you can still do it sometimes IF you pay attention...
-- many departments while they have some new models -- still use the crown vic, charger, and other models they've always tended to use.
-- the plates can be a hint
-- the CAR may be plain, but the OFFICER is still usually in uniform, if you're passing a car that's suspect -- look over and see how the person is dressed....crew cut, uniform?.....also the cars have their 'dash monitors/laptops, etc' which you can usually see once you glance inside their car.

-- watch the car behavior....if I'm REALLY speeding -- I mean 80-50 or more -- and from a distance notice a car visibly GAINING on me -- and every 5 seconds I look back it's gaining -- then THAT car must be going 100 mph. I so Iwant to know who that is. So I chill. slow up, get over what ever.....see who that is let it pass... Once I know it's not a cop....I go right back to my speed. IF you pay attention you can spot a car gaining on you well before their radar would pick up your speed.

Also, watch OTHER TRAFFIC BEHAVIOR...... if your on a major interstate and see brake lights ahead, or sowing traffic -- SOMETHING could be up....cop on the side -- or in traffic -- for example.

I marvel at how many people DON'T PAY ATTENTION WHEN THE DRIVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive