Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 PM

278 posts, read 546,546 times

Advertisements

Municipal Credit Union approved me for a 15k loan. But the only problem is that I have to buy it from a dealership. Do banks finance cars from private sellers? I want a specific car and i've seen many but im sick and tired of these sales men Ive had nothing but horrible experiences not only are they over charging for the used car i want but all these fees are ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Yes, if you have good credit, any bank I've ever known of would be happy to provide a loan to buy from a private party. They may require a certain amount down, want to make sure the car's value is more than the loan, etc.

The last time I borrowed money for a car was 30+ years ago, and it wasn't really for me but for my son. Son and I went car shopping to the city (350 miles away), found all the used cars on lots were crazy high and didn't want to play their games, so we got a newspaper and started calling private parties. The first (only) one we looked at was perfect. I called my banker and had him wire money to the seller's bank. It took a couple hours to get transferred but we got it, no questions asked. I knew the banker fairly well, however, and I had excellent credit (back then). Son went down to the bank the next day and signed the papers, iirc.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Not all banks will do auto loans for private party transactions, it also depends on your area. Chase bank won't do them in my area in TX, Bank of America will but they don't advertise it at all, only dealership transactions, and Wells Fargo says they do but they don't list their private party lending rates, only the new/used dealer and refinance rates.

We just did this last week actually, to buy another SUV. Went with B of A.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
I just tried to do this (financing for private party) and Bank of America had no problem with it. Also, my credit union was willing to do it also.

Since the seller was not willing to take a bank issued cashier's check, I had to go with getting a loan with his bank (Bank of America) so that the money could be directly wired to his account.

The sale ended up not going through though because the seller was trying to flip the car and did not register it (title skipping/jumping) and the bank said that was a no-no, so they would not lend me the money to buy it.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I sold a car to a guy who got a bank loan. The bank had to be given the VIN before they would issue the funds to my buyer but that was the only condition I knew about. Shop around.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Most credit unions will lend on priovate party sales, as will place like Capitol One and Road Loans. Interestingly enough places like Capitol One and Road loans and the like won't loan on cars from non main line dealerships (so your basic used car dealership or wholesaler), while credit unions will.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:49 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I bought a 1-year old car from a private party with a loan through my bank. Was an auto loan as well.

was a PITA however as i needed to provide VIN and vehicle info first

Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I bought a 1-year old car from a private party with a loan through my bank. Was an auto loan as well.

was a PITA however as i needed to provide VIN and vehicle info first
You have to provide that information for any car loan.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:58 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
It's been the main way I've ever bought a car in my life. Other than buying old cars with tons of miles with cash.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Another ridiculous hurdle, NYorkFeinis . . .

The Financial Institution is financing YOU and THE VEHICLE . . . they should have absolutely no interest or concerns as to where the vehicle is being purchased. I fully understand the need for precautions, however, this is ridiculous especially considering how easy vehicle history "tracking" is nowadays.

Personally, I would search for another financial institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive