Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times

Advertisements

I stopped to help this 20 something young lady a few years ago change a flat tire . I had to remove stuff from her trunk and I mean lots of stuff just to get to the spare tire while she stood in front of the car on her cell phone the entire time. She wasn't even watching or paying attention to what I was doing and I actually had to let her know that I was done. This was on a very busy road on a very hot day and I haven't done that since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I did about 6 months ago.....my neighbor ran out of gas on her way to the gas station.....Suburban's don't go far when you drive on the "E" for 1/2 the day! She was about 1 mile from the nearest station.

As a rule, no but I did bang a U-turn on the highway for a car that was identical to a long time friend's daughter's car. Turns out it wasn't her even though it was the identical car, approaching her exit to go home.

Too many scams, very risky working roadside and everyone has a phone to call/text for help.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
A couple of weeks ago my little 87 Dodge Dakota quit in the middle of the interstate. Traffic was crawling because of an accident further along but there were some angry looks coming my way. A family in a beat up truck came up behind me and, through sign language I got them to push me off the road. They SERIOUSLY helped!!

Pay it forward. I help people all the time.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
... and everyone has a phone to call/text for help.
I see this comment multiple times in this thread. I think that 1. it's not true, and 2. What if they do, but there is no coverage where they broke down? I can envision someone needing help real bad and not getting it because we all assume that they have a phone.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Yup.
Lady ran out of gas coming from Arizona. Middle of nowhere by 29 Palms. I carry 10 gallons of gas ( when I had gas truck) on long trips. I poured 5 gallons in her tank. She was actually going to the marine base there in 29.

Helped a couple of nuns coming out of Reno on 395 few months back. Freezing cold snow on the ground. Out of gas. I have a diesel so I couldn't get them going.Called my AAA followed them to LeVining to fill up.

I don't mind if its a middle of nowhere situation. In some cases it can be dangerous with extreme heat or cold with a non running car. Especially I don't mind for people with kids or older people but will stop for all in such a situation.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:36 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I see this comment multiple times in this thread. I think that 1. it's not true, and 2. What if they do, but there is no coverage where they broke down? I can envision someone needing help real bad and not getting it because we all assume that they have a phone.
Thread was "damsel in distress" meaning lady. I do not know a single lady from middle school age through retirement age that doesn't have a cell phone. Most of them have it glued to their hand!

Coverage issues is almost non existent in populated areas atleast where I live.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:41 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Yep.. and you can read all about it in this months Penthouse Letters, pages 6-9
Since music and driving go together you made me recall this classic by Heart (the flip side of what you reference)

Heart - All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You - YouTube

dkf747 has a good point about cell phones and reception. I recall one trip and there not only was no cell reception, but for a good stretch there was no radio reception! It was along US 12 in Idaho near Lolo pass, along Lewis and Clark's route, perhaps by now the cell coverage is there, but I know there are places like this throughout remote rural areas of US. The stretch in west central NM mountains Apache - Sitgreaves National Forest (I think it is most remote in lower 48 states, or at least it was about 10-15 years ago).

Old 04-22-2014, 09:44 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach33 View Post
I stop often along roads for everyone if I can tell they have a flat tire from far if traffic is minimal.

Just be wary if it's night time and you're in a road alongside a forest and you're the only one there and just come upon a woman on the side of the road. She might be dangerous and or have an accomplice.
That's what the FNH .40 equipped with a light is for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I stopped to help this 20 something young lady a few years ago change a flat tire . I had to remove stuff from her trunk and I mean lots of stuff just to get to the spare tire while she stood in front of the car on her cell phone the entire time. She wasn't even watching or paying attention to what I was doing and I actually had to let her know that I was done. This was on a very busy road on a very hot day and I haven't done that since then.
I would've stopped halfway through and let that *** sit there. Unless she was in a dangerous situation, there is no way I would've been that nice to her. After, I would have made damn sure she knew what she did wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Coverage issues is almost non existent in populated areas atleast where I live.
That's not true in many areas. I live in the burbs, just outside of the city and I get spotty coverage at home. There's even place in cities that will have bad or no service. With as many freeways we have in this country, it's not at all irregular to not have service.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 AM

513 posts, read 798,859 times
I had car troubles and had to pull over on the side of the road. A man helped me figure out the problem and rig it so I could get a few more miles to my dads shop. I was very appreciative and the help was greatly needed. It's nice to know there are still some nice people out there

Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
The last and only time I've stopped was in the mountains near the interstate. Woman was by the side of the road, hood up, I stopped, 3 grungy looking guys jumped out of the bushes, ran toward me, I put it in gear and took off. Read later on about someone getting beaten and robbed in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive