Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 PM

7,052 posts, read 8,873,870 times

Advertisements

Most of the dudebros in the cars with thumpy stereos and coffee can exhaust tips learned to drive by watching Fast and Furious movies and playing Grand Theft Auto and are both inconsiderate and stupid.

What I find annoying is people who do not go when it is their turn and make everyone wait, maybe their cell phone conversation made them lose track of their turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,108,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Some people don't seem to understand how to proceed at a four way stop sign. It is my understanding that if two or more cars are at a four way stop sign, the first car to stop has the right of way. If two cars stop at the same time, the car on the right has the right of way (of course a car on the right can yield if they wish).

Now the issue I've experienced is coming up to a four way stop sign with another car arriving a little sooner than me at the intersection so I yield and let him go first. Then a second car behind that one goes through as well, although they were clearly later in arriving at the intersection. In fact at any stop sign you can't skate through after the first car proceeds without driving up to the sign and stopping. Do people not understand basic driving practices or are they just being inconsiderate?
I actually forget the protocol on this. If I arrive same time another car does, I just let them go and proceed on my merry way.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:40 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,015,410 times
I maintain that if a city/county installs 4 way stop signs, that intersection should have a traffic control light. Is that intersection so dangerous that all traffic must stop or are 4 way stop signs installed to control speed on the roadway? If traffic on one of the roads has so much traffic so as to not allow cross traffic to flow, then there should be a traffic light.
In my area they even place stop signs at T street intersections.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 PM

25,364 posts, read 17,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I try to be last to stop at a 4-way, which means I'll roll forward a few feet more than I need to. The other people know I entered last and they can hash out the rest of the order amongst themselves.
That's my approach. Let 'em see my wheels are still turning and they will usually go ahead of me.

But people don't know the rules of the road. When turning from one 4 lane road left to another 4 lane road, most people will take the wrong lane. They just don't know.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,976,883 times
Quote:
Some people don't seem to understand how to proceed at a four way stop sign. It is my understanding that if two or more cars are at a four way stop sign, the first car to stop has the right of way. If two cars stop at the same time, the car on the right has the right of way (of course a car on the right can yield if they wish).

Now the issue I've experienced is coming up to a four way stop sign with another car arriving a little sooner than me at the intersection so I yield and let him go first. Then a second car behind that one goes through as well, although they were clearly later in arriving at the intersection. In fact at any stop sign you can't skate through after the first car proceeds without driving up to the sign and stopping. Do people not understand basic driving practices or are they just being inconsiderate?
I have never had that problem. But as soon as the other car enters the intersection, I start to pull into the intersection. As soon as he clears my path, I pass right behind his car. I don't leave enough space for a second car to go through. If you have the right of way, exercise it.

From my experience if you are already in the intersection, another car will not attempt to enter. If a second car has time to go through, I suspect you are dilly-dallying way too long. It's just a four way stop. Stop, yield to any traffic you have to, and go. If all directions are clear, just roll through it. Four way stops are great, if you know how to use them.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:34 AM

513 posts, read 795,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I get annoyed when you come up to a 4 way stop, and for example, the person on your left stops first, you (being perpendicular) stop second, and some jackass on the right stops third, but because you have just waited for person #1 to clear the intersection, person #3 decides to skip ahead and go through forcing you to wait longer.

I wish cops would sit at four way stops more often...so many people roll through without making a complete stop so they can beat someone else through the intersection.
I don't mind if person #3 goes, if they go at the same time as #1. If they take longer than I get pissed offed. What's worse is when people blatantly just go. Nothing makes me want to shoot a grenade at a car faster than when I am sitting at a stop sign, patiently waiting for my turn, only for some Ahole to roll up and just go.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:41 AM

513 posts, read 795,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Most of the dudebros in the cars with thumpy stereos and coffee can exhaust tips learned to drive by watching Fast and Furious movies and playing Grand Theft Auto and are both inconsiderate and stupid.

What I find annoying is people who do not go when it is their turn and make everyone wait, maybe their cell phone conversation made them lose track of their turn.
My brother has his permit and no matter who comes first, he waves them. Constant waving. it just confuses the hell out of everyone. We will also be driving and its green and another car is across from us trying to make a left and he will stop and wave them. It makes me CRAZY. He says he is being "considerate and nice" and I say he is just trying to create an accident.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
Quote:
Just your basic rude ignorant drivers that you have to share the road with, plenty of them out there..

Old 04-24-2014, 02:20 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,610,037 times

On a 4 Way Stop Sign:

Car# 1 arrives first at the 4-way stop.
Car #2 is next to arrive .
Car# 3 is last .

Since Car#2 was second to arrive, he yields to Car #1.

Question:
If Car#2 is making a left turn...does he also yield to Car #3 ?
Or is Car#2 next in line since he was second to arrive at the stop sign
and Car#3 must yield since he was last ?

This is taking into account that Car#1 & Car#3 are driving straight on
& not turning.

Last edited by ranchodrive; 04-24-2014 at 02:35 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 AM

3,653 posts, read 4,784,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Question:
If Car#2 is making a left turn...does he also yield to Car #3 ?
Or is Car#2 next in line since he was second to arrive at the stop sign
and Car#3 must yield since he was last ?

This is taking into account that Car#1 & Car#3 are driving straight on
& not turning.
Car #2 does not yield to car #3 because it is a 4 way. 4 ways are first there/first go so it would be car 1, 2 then 3 and it doesn't matter what direction either are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive