Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 01:09 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,874 times

Advertisements

Owner of a '59 Chevy pickup which he had restored . Also installed A/C.
The truck runs fine . But if not driven for several days,it takes time to start.
He loves the look of the truck but appreciates & likes the conveniences of
the new trucks where he just turns the key & starts right away.

He said he should have bought an S-10 truck ( 82-90s) & have done
a complete frame swap. So as to have a modern drivetrain & be able to
drive on the freeway with no problem.

I would like to hear from those that have actually done a similar swap.
The pros , cons & what advice you can offer. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
I'm thinking swapping a 59 body onto a S10 chassis and drivetrain would take quite a bit of fabrication. The S10 is a small pickup. One option is to swap a more recent drivetrain into the 59. A SBC with a TH350/400 should be an easy fit. That combo is time tested. The only problem is it leaves him with an dated suspension and brake system. Those pieces can be updated as well, but at a cost. Another option is to take some measurements and see if the 59 body would fit on a more recent Chevy or GMC full sized pickup frame. He might find one in a local junkyard. Bottom line is how much he wants to spend.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
i believe the S10 frame would be too small to fit without being sectioned. a better choice would likely be something like a late model, say late 80s or early 90s full size buick chassis. that swap is popular with late 50s and earl 60s ford truck builders because the wheelbase and width is virtually identical to the ford, and the chevy/gmc trucks are just bouat the same size.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 AM

I should have emphasized that he used the S-10 truck as a reference only.
He told me that it would have cost much less if he had swapped with a
complete working modern drive-train/frame to the '59 body.

I have a '39 panel truck with no rust on the body. But the engine & everything
else needs to be repaired.

That was the reason for my post. To see if others have done a similar project.
How much fabrication was required & was it actually less expensive ?
Not saying this is what I plan to do. Just checking.

exhdo1...Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:35 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
If the '59 was restored by a professional it would be as trouble free and dependable (actually more so!) than any 82-90 S-10 would be. To do a frame swap to any modern chassis would be a monumental and expensive task, and then you still have a 20 year old, worn out chassis. He could put that amount of money in actually restoring the truck he has and come out with something nice and with value.
It takes big money and extreme talent to do either of these projects. He might be better off to sell it and buy a newer Colorado... S-10 hasn't been made for 10 years, so it would be difficult, but not impossible, to find a nice one, that why I say Colorado which started production in 2004 to present..
He sounds like the typical person who has read too many Hot Rod magazines and doesn't really understand what it takes to do such a major project. Some people regard a paint job and a couple of chrome knobs as being restored. Judging from what you're saying, the truck wasn't really "restored", just upgraded a little. Big difference..

Old 04-23-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
If the '59 was restored by a professional it would be as trouble free and dependable (actually more so!) than any 82-90 S-10 would be. To do a frame swap to any modern chassis would be a monumental and expensive task, and then you still have a 20 year old, worn out chassis. He could put that amount of money in actually restoring the truck he has and come out with something nice and with value.
It takes big money and extreme talent to do either of these projects. He might be better off to sell it and buy a newer Colorado... S-10 hasn't been made for 10 years, so it would be difficult, but not impossible, to find a nice one, that why I say Colorado which started production in 2004 to present..
He sounds like the typical person who has read too many Hot Rod magazines and doesn't really understand what it takes to do such a major project. Some people regard a paint job and a couple of chrome knobs as being restored. Judging from what you're saying, the truck wasn't really "restored", just upgraded a little. Big difference..

He had the '59 truck restored to original with the exception of
A/C which it didn't have. That & seat belts were his only upgrades.

The truck works fine. But he added that if he doesn't drive it regularly
like after 3 days...it won't start right away.

I haven't talked with him lately...but I believe he is comparing it to a
modern vehicle that will start right away at the turn of the key every
time. Even if the car has sat idle for several days. He probably didn't take
into account that restoring it to like new...doesn't necessarily mean that
the '59 system will be equal to a modern one where all you do is turn the key
to get it started.

But, I will let him know that a "professional restoration" means that
his '59 truck will be "trouble free & dependable" so that it starts immediately
even if he hasn't driven it for several days & has a working mechanical
fuel pump & starter...

Last edited by ranchodrive; 04-23-2014 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive