Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,019,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
It's hard to get a fender bender or commit vehicular manslaughter when there are no cars or people around and I am in control of my vehicle.

My texts are not business critical. If I feel like the text is urgent enough to warrant an immediate response, I will respond. If I don't feel I'm in an area where it's safe enough to respond immediately, I will either wait or pull over and stop my car.

I think you just missed the point where I stated that I don't text in situations in which I feel it would be unsafe to do so. If motorcycles are weaving around me, people are crossing the street, and kids are outside playing, paramedics are flying up behind me, etc. I won't text. It's really just as simple as that.
You lose complete control of your vehicle as soon as you divert your attention to another task while driving.

Unless your vehicle is parked, there is no situation which affords for safe texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,654,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Can I nominate this for one of the top-5 most idiotic posts on C-D of all time?

I am stunned that anyone can do something so stupid and say it "really isn't a big deal at all."
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Seconded.
When I was MUCH younger (1970s and '80s) I remember making comments like "I think I drive better after having a few drinks." I absolutely cringe when I think of the times I drove home from a bar or party. The fact that I have never had a DUI or gotten into an accident as a result was pure luck, not as a result of my mad drunk driving skillz.

I am sure everyone who's been involved in a texting/cell phone-related accident has smugly maintained at least once that they are a superior breed of driver who can handle texting and driving, unlike the majority.

Yeah, right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Thirded. My jaw dropped when I saw that post. Arrogant and dangerous behavior that sadly puts the lives of others at risk. Any driver with any experience knows that there is no time when it is safe to do such things and that unexpected hazards can come out of nowhere when you are absolutely sure there's no such thing around.

And if you have to take your eyes off the road to proof and correct outgoing texts, then your blue tooth is useless as a texting safety measure. Shame on you for even pretending to think that isn't the case.
motion carried. perhaps the mods can set up a stupidity award? just saying.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,549,020 times
I text all the time while driving even though it is illegal in my state. The cops don't care - they just go after speeders.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 PM

861 posts, read 1,327,135 times
I don't text while driving but I do watch Youtube and surf the web. I know, not much better.

It just gets boring driving 3-4 hours with nothing to do other than listening to boring talk radio or songs I've heard a million times.

I try to do it safety as possible while I am driving in the slowest lane and without cars around. Luckily I have never gotten in to an accident and no cop has pulled me over in the many years I have been doing it.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,654,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I text all the time while driving even though it is illegal in my state. The cops don't care - they just go after speeders.
to you, and all those idiots that text while driving, do the world a favor and kill yourself now away from the road. that way you only kill yourself and dont take an innocent person with you. the life you save could be mine.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 AM

414 posts, read 925,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Can I nominate this for one of the top-5 most idiotic posts on C-D of all time?

I am stunned that anyone can do something so stupid and say it "really isn't a big deal at all."

Sure you can! We can even create a poll and have folks cast their vote!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 AM

414 posts, read 925,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I don't text while driving but I do watch Youtube and surf the web. I know, not much better. (MUCH WORSE actually)

It just gets boring driving 3-4 hours with nothing to do other than listening to boring talk radio or songs I've heard a million times. (Is this your DAILY commute one way or round trip? Either way, perhaps a lifestyle change is in order. Have you considered moving closer to your place of employment?)

I try to do it safety as possible while I am driving in the slowest lane and without cars around. Luckily I have never gotten in to an accident and no cop has pulled me over in the many years I have been doing it.

God help us ALL with these new "Infotainment" systems that will only serve to create more traffic fatalities.

Hmm? Surfing the internet with Bing, making reservations at that fabulous new restaurant with Open Table or buying movie tickets online and reading movie reviews while driving? Sure that's REAL safe!!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:00 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,019,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Future condolences to your family and to the families of the victims.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:04 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,152,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I just learned that in California, it's legal to use your cellphone if it's GPS. So that's the excuse I'll be using if I ever get pulled over.

The police will dump your phone and if there are any text messages within the timeframe of your arrest you will be charged.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,372,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
God help us ALL with these new "Infotainment" systems that will only serve to create more traffic fatalities.

Hmm? Surfing the internet with Bing, making reservations at that fabulous new restaurant with Open Table or buying movie tickets online and reading movie reviews while driving? Sure that's REAL safe!!

Thankfully, most systems like that are inoperable while the car is in motion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive