Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 AM

957 posts, read 2,021,692 times

Advertisements

I really like the push button start (although would not make it a deal breaker on any car). That said, the reason why GM doesn't have it on a $50k car (CUV) in 2014 is because that is the same car mechanically as a 2007 $27k car. I recognize other cars in 2007 had push button start, but it was less common, particularly on cars less than $30k (again, some did have it even in that price range, but not common).

I imagine in the next generation platform (likely due in 2016) you'll see it, but since the vehicles sell very well, GM apparently has decided to keep costs low and not make any changes that likely impact very few sales. GM's lambda trio are on an aging platform (many people think a really good one), and it's mechanicals are all pretty much from 2007 -- and designed before that obviously. They have a big price range as well, and while you get more features on the upper level, more expensive trims, there are no optional engines, transmissions, or such so you can think of it as a $50k car or a $30k just the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:21 AM

568 posts, read 2,420,158 times
GM has been slow at adopting the push-button ignition thing. The reason the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave don't have them is probably the age of the platform. The Acadia came out in 2007, when the only GM with push-button ignition was the Vette. The platform wasn't designed for it from the beginning, so they haven't bothered to add it to any of the recent interior updates.

I believe the Cruze was the first vehicle besides the Vette with push-button ignition when it came out in 2008, but only on the top LTZ trim level. It's slowly been making its way through the models. Cruze, Malibu, Regal, Verano, SRX, ATS and CTS can all be had with it. The new 2015 fullsize SUVs can also be had with it. It's mostly only the higher-level trim packages that have it right now.

When I bought my current car, push-button start was a must-have for me. I do a lot of driving everyday and am in and out of the car a lot. It's nice to just put my keys in my pocket in the morning and never having to worry about them all day long.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:40 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
GM has been slow at adopting the push-button ignition thing. The reason the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave don't have them is probably the age of the platform. The Acadia came out in 2007, when the only GM with push-button ignition was the Vette. The platform wasn't designed for it from the beginning, so they haven't bothered to add it to any of the recent interior updates.

I believe the Cruze was the first vehicle besides the Vette with push-button ignition when it came out in 2008, but only on the top LTZ trim level. It's slowly been making its way through the models. Cruze, Malibu, Regal, Verano, SRX, ATS and CTS can all be had with it. The new 2015 fullsize SUVs can also be had with it. It's mostly only the higher-level trim packages that have it right now.

When I bought my current car, push-button start was a must-have for me. I do a lot of driving everyday and am in and out of the car a lot. It's nice to just put my keys in my pocket in the morning and never having to worry about them all day long.
Thanks, and this makes a lot of sense.

The bolded is precisely why push button start is important to me as well. Between hauling kids around with all their crap/bags/lunches/etc, and errand running that I do throughout the day, and other things that take me all over - not having to worry about where my keys are is a simple thing, yet invaluable to me.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Again, thank you for making my point. Why wouldn't a $50k vehicle have it then?
There's much more to a push button start than the button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

As for why the American cars are behind, that's just the way they are. Our 2013 Silverado still has a remote that is separate from the key. Hell, our 2006 Accord had a key that had the remote built in and that is now eight years ago.
I don't see integrated keys as a positive. If you lose it, you have no ability to do anything with the car. If I lose my separate remote, at least I can still operate the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
One thing I really wish for is the rain-sensor to detect rain and auto-close my moonroof if parked. Not sure if that's a battery-drain though.
I was installing aftermarket versions of those in the early 90's. No drain problems that I'm aware of.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 AM

25 posts, read 39,643 times
I have a GM car that has a feature where the ignition has 3 positions...lock, off and on. You need the key to put the ignition in lock (which completely disables the starter) or take it out of lock but you can switch it from on to off and vice versa without even having the key in the car. To start the car all you do is make sure the ignition is set to "on" and step on the gas pedal; the starter kicks in as soon as you step on the gas and cuts out when engine vacuum from the running engine cuts off power to the starter via a switch.
Car is a 1951 Buick Roadmaster.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Don't blame the car. This is user error. All push starts have a slot where you insert the whole transmitter incase the battery dies. What kind of car was it? I can tell you where it's located. In the Altima, it's on the left side of the steering wheels toward the bottom of the dash. You stick the transmitter in the slot. In my wife's Kia, it's in the armrest. Don't blame technology when you don't know how to use it.
As I said previously, I wish they would have provided an alternate starting method using the key inside the fob that will unlock the door.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
My Charger might as well have push buttons. It has a T-handle gear selector, but it is just for show. The whole thing is nothing more than an electric switch.
I think most cars are like that now. I didnt think any of them had actual linkage.

Also for the people complaining about push button start being "just another thing to break", it is in most cases the exact same set up as a key switch. The only difference is that it is a pushing motion instead of a twisting motion.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 PM

347 posts, read 650,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Also for the people complaining about push button start being "just another thing to break", it is in most cases the exact same set up as a key switch. The only difference is that it is a pushing motion instead of a twisting motion.
I think we should clarify what we mean when we say "push button start".

As several people have mentioned, push button starters have existed in cars since early last century. All racing cars have had push button starters for many, many decades. It's not really a technological achievement. As you have said, it's simply a electrical mechanism that tells the starter to turn, which is no different than an key ignition coil.

But what we really mean here by the term "push button start" is the wireless signal between the key fob transmitter and the car. The signal acts as the key to allow the driver to start the car without using an actual key in ignition or slot. That is a new technology, or at least is one that needed to be perfected before it could be used in a car sold to the public. And even then, it hasn't been perfect.

I recall John Phillips of Car and Driver writing that he managed to drive to the grocery store only to realize that his wife, who he had dropped off a mile or two back, had the key fob in her purse and he couldn't re-start the car to pick her up. You should never be able to drive that far without the key fob inside the car, and the car should emit an incessant chime to warn you of the missing key before going into neutral (and maybe shutting down) after a certain distance of driving. But it happened to a car that was already out on the market.

But the technology is getting better. The leap in sophistication between the system in my old 2005 Prius to my 2013 Prius Plug-In has been quite vast. Whereas I intentionally shut down the 2005 system because it sucked juice from the 12V battery and made locking doors troublesome, Toyota doesn't even give you the option to shut down the 2013 system because they are reasonably certain that they've worked out its kinks. And they're right: the keyless push-button start system has worked mostly flawlessly thus far, and I can finally enjoy its convenience without dealing with the downsides.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
My wife keeps the fob in her purse when we go places and if I drop her off and go park it's chimes loudly right away that the fob isn't in the car. It also tells you in a large logo on the dash, if you couldn't see it, you'd be blind.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 PM

568 posts, read 2,420,158 times
I've yet to come across one that will shut off if you take the fob out of the car. My Ford gives a loud beep with a message on the instrument cluster. GM cars will give a double-beep of the horn if you get out and close the door. They'll all give you warnings that you've taken the fob out of the car, but you can take the fob miles away and as long as you don't shut the car off, you can still drive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive