Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post

Speaking of buying another, I probably won't as I'm a car guy and I believe that life is just too short to drive the same thing over and over again.
With a couple exceptions, I'm with you on this. My exceptions ar based on the fact that I often customized my cars, so no two were ever the same even if they started out the same. But I aslo like variety and so I tend not to get the same car twice anymore. The exception is my wife's MINI Cooper. She had an '11 MINI Cooper in yellow, and just traded it in on a '14 MINI Cooper in blue. The new one has the turbo motor, so it's quite a bit different than the last one to drive, as well as being the new model in a different color so it looks different. I don't count them as being the same car.

My last car was a Mustang, my current car is a Volt, and I don't know what my next car might be, it might be a pure electric, it might be a Jag convertible. I'll see where my fancy leads me when the Volt's lease is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Since I am an American, born and educated here I tend to favor everything American. I always employed American workers even though foreign labor was cheaper. I have always bought wherever possible American made products including Automobiles.
That being said, when I was in a position to purchase a luxury automobile I chose to buy one of the so called best of German made autos. It was one of the most expensive cars I ever owned in 1984 it cost me $37,500 and a Caddy was about half that price. I was not impressed to say the least. Three radios in the first year before we got one to work, the rear passenger window fell off the track the first time it was lowered. The alarm system started blowing the horn for no reason so we drove it right to the dealer and parked it in front of the showroom while the salespeople went nuts telling us to turn it off. We couldn't that's why we drove it to the dealer.

So foreign made IMO is not better just their advertising budget is better than American brands.

My opinions have nothing to do about who makes the best cars.

I just believe if your going to work here employed by American companies you should be spending your money here and employing other American workers.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM

88 posts, read 158,831 times
I will buy either. I care about it being a nice and reliable car, not what country it was made in. That just happens to mean that a lot of the cheaper american made cars I won't buy. But I also avoid BMW's, because I have personally had horrible experiences owning them as have a lot of friends of mine. So it could go to both sides of the spectrum.

But I think ford has done a great job with a lot of their line up in the last few years, and I know corvettes are pretty much bullet proof even though they feel pretty cheap. I would be happy in some of those. I've also owned Subaru's for the last 8 years that have treated me very well.

Right now I own a Honda and a Porsche and couldn't be happier.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:47 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Hate to break it to you, but that car handled and drove like crap straight off the showroom floor. Even the police package ones with larger front/rear sway bars and beefed up suspension weren't much better.
Plesae try to pay attention.

The poster I responded to stated that no domestic will handle like new when it's 20 years old. Mine does. No, it's not a champ; but it does handle as well now as it did when it came off the showroom floor with only basic maintenance.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but that car handled and drove like crap straight off the showroom floor. Even the police package ones with larger front/rear sway bars and beefed up suspension weren't much better.
You just don't quite get it do you? Drifting into a corner is not what everyone wants in a vehicle, or they would have bought a sports car. These cars were meant to be a daily driver with a smooth ride, and there's still guys who love them, and the wagon versions too. I know that in your mind if it's not foreign it's no good to you, but not all Americans hold this bias against their own country of origin.

The police versions speak for themselves in miles of service and still running today.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Plesae try to pay attention.

The poster I responded to stated that no domestic will handle like new when it's 20 years old. Mine does. No, it's not a champ; but it does handle as well now as it did when it came off the showroom floor with only basic maintenance.
Instead of focusing on just one of his sentences, you should try reading all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No domestic designed car has ever handled as nicely as my Honda CVCC, Civics and Acura Integras. And they last forever and are reliable forever. My 20 year old Civic still feels and handles like a new car.
Your car may handle/drive like new 25 years later... but the bar wasn't exactly set very high from the start, now was it?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
How often do we need to have this same "foreign vs domestic" argument? This is extremely well-worn ground here...

Old 05-07-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How often do we need to have this same "foreign vs domestic" argument? This is extremely well-worn ground here...
I won't speak for the others in this thread, but as for myself I'm not making a foreign vs domestic argument at all. I'm talking about the Caprice specifically. That was a bargain bin parts car. Had they made all of them like the Impala SS, with upgraded engine, suspension, wheels and tires, that would be a different story. The Impala was a pretty good car in its day, with the LT1 engine.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Instead of focusing on just one of his sentences, you should try reading all of them.
To be fair, he was responding to this claim:

Quote:
My 20 year old Civic still feels and handles like a new car. That would not be so with a domestic designed car.
I know a lot of domestic designed cars that feel and handle like a new car 20 years later. Even if that new car wasn't the best car in the world, they did last.

Quote:
Your car may handle/drive like new 25 years later... but the bar wasn't exactly set very high from the start, now was it?
That isn't the point.

I can also point out many examples of 20 year old Japanese cars that don't handle or feel like new anymore, and are rusted out or broken down POS. I also know af a number of domestic designed cars that outhandle his Civic. I've owned and driven them.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM

I'm not going to argue Miu's viewpoint regarding all domestic and foreign makes, he's wrong. Of course there are domestic vehicles that can handle the same as they were new. All that takes is new shocks, perhaps some new tie rod ends, a couple bushings, and that's it.

My point is that when new, a lot of cars sucked to begin with, so it isn't exactly a real strong point to use in an argument if you want to say that your vehicle handles like it did 20-30 years before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive