U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:14 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,076,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
All kinds of games played in the auto business. I think the funniest is the fill cap on a Corvette says Mobil One recommended. No Corvette has ever left GM with Mobil oil of any kind in it. Ashland had the contract to supply GM with all of their engine oils and now it's Royal Shell. Obviously, neither makes Mobil One. The caps are supplied to GM for free- it's advertising. Works too as many Corvette owners won't put anything else in the car because it says right on the cap......Another one is Mercedes. Mercedes is having major issues with coking of the oil while corporate says to use Mobil One. Yet no Mercedes made in the USA has ever left the factory with it. They've had a contract with Wolfe Oil for decades. The guys that work at the dealerships will generally put Swepco in the engine as they don't have issues using it whereas Mobil One fails. Another one was the morons that were running out of gas in their F150s. The gas fill cap said to use BP Fuels only. Another advertising campaign which had Ford getting free gas caps. Yet people are out there that are just plain stupid. Now you understand why there are no manual transmissions left and the computer basically drives the vehicle now. There are far too many morons out there that haven't a clue about cars or driving.
Page 5-16 of my Corvette owners manual states:

Your vehicles engine is filled at the factory with a Mobil 1 synthetic oil, which meets all requirements for your vehicle.

It says I must use oil that meets GM4718M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 PM

3,455 posts, read 5,091,915 times
I was changing it once a year on a car racking up 3.5k annually. The manufacturer's recommended interval on this VW was 5k. I sent a sample of my oil to Blackstone with box for TBN checked and it came back that I could have gone 5,300 miles or about 18 months on the Castrol Synthetic I was using. The TBN minimum spec was >1.0 and mine was 2.6, or well safe. This just tells me, anecdotally at least, that mileage is way more important than time when it comes to oil life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or