Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times

Advertisements

Look into the Scion tC. Brand new they are about 20k with no haggle pricing plus you get 1k off for being a new grad. They're pretty decent cars too. They're also focused on people your age so they should have no problem financing a recent grad either.

Just don't go for the FR-s. It'll be too much for a newerish driver, even though it is fairly underpowered. It's also out of your price range at ~25k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleOhElle View Post
I'm looking at the Mirage and from what I've seen, it's my favorite of the options so far! I'm definitely going to look into it.
There is no good reason to buy a Mitsubishi vehicle today. The brand is dying and you would have a car that will not be easy to get service a few years down the road.

How much cash do you have?

I do not agree with your mother's advice. A $5K used car today is VERY used and I would not want my daughter driving such a vehicle in Houston. I also do not agree that a new driver needs a new car. That is just silly. A less experienced driver typically doesn't know where the four corners of the car are. And they will have little fender benders. So a new car is just going to take some abuse. I have three kids - two out of college and one in college. They all drive good used cars.

I the $15K range you can find good used cars like:

Mazda3
Mazda6
Ford Focus
Ford Fusion
Honda Fit
Nissan Sentra
Nissan Versa
Hyundai Elantra

I don't know where in Houston you will be but there are many places in Houston now where a compact car is an advantage.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:32 AM

486 posts, read 832,395 times
Call or go to the bank/credit union you currently have a relationship with to see if you can get financing. Also check out creditboards they have loan officers that can give you some more specific advice.

Get a consumer reports magazine to research good cars. Don't just buy a car because it's cheap. Test drive at least 3 to 5 cars before you make a purchase.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:39 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
There is nothing like a new car and not having to worry about anything falling off or breaking and if it does it is under warranty for at least 3 years or 36,000 miles. Of course new cars are expensive and don't forget the excise tax which is large the first year.
Cars are built very well now so buying a used car is not what it used to be. Most dealerships have really nice used cars that they will stand behind. you have so many choices in a car and $10,000 to $20,000 you should be able to get a nice one that will be trouble free for years. Program or off lease cars are usually good picks.
I used to work at a dealeship. When you go to one tell the sales guy up front that you are concerned with your credit. He might have you speak with the finance manager before looking at cars so you will know exactly what you can afford.
A rule of thumb we used to estimate the monthly payments was $20 per thousand so a $15,000 car will cost you approx. $300 per month for 5 years. if you have $4000 down on that car then it will cost $220 per month.
Don't pay sticker price. There is always wiggle room in new and used and programs on the new ones to be taken advantage of. Do some research and don't sign anything until you fully understand it and see the bottom line and the monthly cost.
Good luck.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:59 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
I asked my dad for advice and told him what I wad thinking aboyt doing. He said if I was willing to get one in that price range I should raise the amount to 20k and just get a new car since I am a new driver. Lately I have heard this sentiment a lot; if you're a new driver you should get a newer car.
Actually, the opposite is probably true. If you're a new driver you should get an older car so that you learn what to do with something goes wrong along with learning to drive.

But the time to do that is when you're in high school or college, not when you're out in the real world and need to be sure that your car won't give you any trouble going back and forth to work.

Regardless, there are plenty of solid, reliable cars out there in the $5000 range. I personally would recommend paying cash rather than saddling yourself with a monthly payment right off the bat.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:08 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually, the opposite is probably true. If you're a new driver you should get an older car so that you learn what to do with something goes wrong along with learning to drive.

But the time to do that is when you're in high school or college, not when you're out in the real world and need to be sure that your car won't give you any trouble going back and forth to work.

Regardless, there are plenty of solid, reliable cars out there in the $5000 range. I personally would recommend paying cash rather than saddling yourself with a monthly payment right off the bat.

I agree with this. Get the newest or best used car you can afford. $5k should be just fine!
Don't go down the path your sisters did.

For example:

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4503969095.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4496975943.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4494164370.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4501262344.html

Last edited by jaypee; 06-05-2014 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 04:20 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Mistubishi is going to leave the US Market soon. Probably better to avoid.

You would be better off getting a new car as opposed to a used one. There are some good deals to be had right now.

Check out the 2014 Chevy Impala. This is the last year of that bodystyle, so they are dirt cheap and have a 3.6L Cadillac engine in them. 300+ hp.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
I'm twenty three and I am looking to buy my first car this summer. I'm out of college and working my first job in the city (Houston) and here having a vehicle is practically mandatory. It's my first car purchase because in the past I have never really needed one. Now I do and I'm really unsure of what to do.

My mother is completely against getting anything with payments so that's the advice she gave to me. She insists that I can get a decent car off of Craigslist for 3k and be done with it. My own idea was to go to a used car dealership and get something for around 15k that I know will be dependable and will last me. I mean, payments are never ideal but I wouldn't want to get a cheap car just because it was cheap and then have stuff go wrong with it all the time.

I asked my dad for advice and told him what I wad thinking aboyt doing. He said if I was willing to get one in that price range I should raise the amount to 20k and just get a new car since I am a new driver. Lately I have heard this sentiment a lot; if you're a new driver you should get a newer car.

I was thinking about doing what my dad says but the problem is that I have bad credit. So I really don't think a dealership would let finance anything. I do have a sizeable downpayment though, 4-5k, so I am hoping regardless of whether I get a new or a used car I can find someone willing to work with my situation.

I just don't know what I should do or what kind of car I should get. Growing up I never had a car, just occasionally borrowed one of my parents. I don't have too many friends who know much about cars either. It's a decision I need to make by July though.

Your mom is right. You will get a better deal from a private party. You NEED to have the vehicle checked out BEFORE you buy it. CPO cars have warranties also. Some are manufacturer backed warranties which are better than aftermarket warranties.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 7,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

How funny! I heard the EXACT opposite, lol. That if I got an older car and if something went wrong with it I wouldn't know, hence the suggestions for a new car because then I would be able to tell what's wrong with it.

What you're saying makes more sense though.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Quote:
How funny! I heard the EXACT opposite, lol. That if I got an older car and if something went wrong with it I wouldn't know, hence the suggestions for a new car because then I would be able to tell what's wrong with it.

What you're saying makes more sense though.

Must have been a new car salesman telling you that. It is your first car. Your going to make mistakes, lots of mistakes, with it. Save your money. Get a beater that runs well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive