U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2007, 02:26 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,928,230 times
Default frozen fuel line?

i drove my pick up (78 GMC)home one night, ran fine, parked it and went to bed.

tried to start it the next day, no dice. i can see in the filter (it's the clear plastic filter, replaced thanksgiving day) and no gas is getting to the filter. i pour gas in the carb and it starts and runs fine (till the gas burns up of course). it has gas in it, it starts with gas in the carb and gas doesn't make it to the filter.

i have heard of frozen fuel lines, but only when it gets hella cold like below 0.

it got about 15* the night i parked it.

is that cold enough to freeze the line? i do have a habbit of running on 1/2 tank or less, so i wouldn't be surprized.

the fuel pump was replaced about 3 years ago. it's a mechanical pump, and i have never heard of mechanical pumps going out like a light, so i doubted the pump.

could this be the line or something else even?

if so wtf do i do to thaw it out?

thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:07 PM

629 posts, read 2,444,051 times
It's called vapor lock!

Old 12-15-2007, 01:26 PM

17,390 posts, read 21,458,042 times
Fuel usually freazes at joints, pumps, and valves. Not normally the line.

disconnect aft of the pump and blow in it. See if you can hear bubbles in the tank.

Fuel pumps have been known to just shut down completely. Specially if they tear a diaphram.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:39 PM
miu

12,948 posts, read 21,351,970 times
Any water in your fuel tank? What about trying a bottle of dry gas?

Old 12-18-2007, 05:46 PM

139 posts, read 607,015 times
Hello,just wondering what it turned out to be ?

Old 12-22-2007, 11:13 PM

5,124 posts, read 9,644,614 times
A mechanical fuel pump is just that. No vapor lock is possible on a cold engine, only if it is overheated, bad water pump/clogged radiator/low on water etc. The only possible problem that I can come up with is the fuel line being iced up. Most tanks have a inlet pipe that has a screen on it to prevent any sediment from entering the line/fuel pump. Also water is heavier then gasoline, along with keeping the tank at a low level will make whatever liquid is in the tank slosh around mixing what gas/water there is to be sucked into the fuel line system. NEVER buy gas from a gas station that has a tanker truck unloading its fuel as you are filling your tank. All Gas station underground holding tanks have a small percentage of water at its bottom. Many years ago my dad had a station and I remembered hearing the story from him. Besides , I am a retired mechanic of 28 yrs. Stefhen (ret) Baja Mexico

Old 12-20-2008, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 14,146 times
I just had a frozen feul line. Reading the different posts and talking to my machanic i thought it was the feul pump because i could not hear it running. I decided to try and warm up my truck first.i put 2 electric heater and a colemane stove under the truck, plus i also put feul line anti freeze in the tank, and after 3 hours it started. It was alot of work but i didnt have to replace a thing. It would have been easier if i had a garage to park it, but im happy.good luck if you have the same problems, and dont always beleave your machanic. There in it for the money

Old 12-20-2008, 03:23 PM

3,988 posts, read 12,659,467 times
Fuel would have to contain quite a bit of water to actually freeze since the freezing point od the gasoline itself in around -90.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:56 PM

6,530 posts, read 14,047,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Fuel would have to contain quite a bit of water to actually freeze since the freezing point od the gasoline itself in around -90.
But water and gas does not mix, so a small quantity of water could freeze up as a small plug.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:47 PM

2,217 posts, read 364,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
But water and gas does not mix, so a small quantity of water could freeze up as a small plug.
That is exactly right.

One thing to remember: Run ethanol (E10). It'll be 89 octane, and is usually the cheapest gas at the pump. The alcohol in ethanol blend gas will absorb moisture and help keep your lines from freezing up. I used to live in Minnesota, and ran ethanol all the time. Never once had a gas line freeze up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive