Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Riddle me this. Wouldn't the value of the car be affected by the lack of the repair done? If you put your car on craigslist....the total value will be less if you have ''missing transmission'' or something like that. Not that it would be that extreme, but wouldn't it still be more cost effective to get something repaired unless one wouldn't mind discounting the car itself.
there are two types of used car buyers: Those who won't deal with a car needing repairs, and those who don't mind buying a car needing repairs but only if the car is discounted below the cost of the repair to account for the hassle of getting it repaired.

So if you don't fix the car you limit yourself to the second type of buyer, while if you go ahead an dfix it you expand your customer base.

The downside is that once you dig into the repair, whether doing it yourself or having a shop do the work, you might find yourself in a situation where you need more work than anticipated and end up spending more than you intended, in which case you might have been better off selling it as-is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 04:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
I thought about this, but I trust the company who actually made the car to work in my engine and transmission over a company who deals with a variety of makes and models.
The company that made your car has little control on the quality of the mechanics at the dealer. They also seem to have NO control over the extra service that dealer service departments regularly try to sell (such as "transmission flushes") which are almost never recommended by the manufacturer. Only the dealer wants to charge us to check the wiper blades during an oil change.

TB service for $1K might be in the ballpark. My Honda Pilot timing belt and water pump were serviced not too long ago for about $800 by a good independent mechanic.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
My car has reached over 200k miles and now I need my timing belt and water pump replaced, according to my car's maintenance schedule.

I was all for it, until I heard the cost for it... ~1k.

I have a goal to keep my car for at least 30k more miles, max of 50k, so I will get it replaced.

Anyone here able to separate maintenance costs from repair costs in a vehicle in your mind, or is it all the same to you? Do you consider your car's value when needing maintenance as many do with repairs?

Maintenance is way cheaper than repair. Parts are cheaper and it doesn't take a lot of time to do it.

Why is a water pump needed? Does the car company state that is required of the maintenance schedule or is it something a mechanic suggested to you? Water pumps usually leak before giving out and I have seen many go 150K.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LMAO the dealership had nothing to do with the research, development or production of your car.

The mechanics didn't either and most will do a monkey job on it. If you think a restaurant's kitchen is bad you should see behind the scenes of a dealerships service department. You might think they treat your car with kid gloves but they they think of it as an unwanted stepchild unless it is a gee-whiz car like a vette or high dollar mustang or camaro.

I had a motorcycle dealership swap the nice brake fluid cap from my bike to replace the one on a wrecked bike that was ground down. It was the one under the body trim and didn't think I would notice. I didn't until a month later. I wasn't sad when the fat bastard who owned the place died.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 PM

After reading all of the above I am glad I do most of my own work.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Riddle me this. Wouldn't the value of the car be affected by the lack of the repair done?
If your car is worth 2 grands and transmission goes, you are better off junking the car because at best you'll get back what you pay for the repair. The value of the car will be affected but you won't make any money.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:58 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
My car has reached over 200k miles and now I need my timing belt and water pump replaced, according to my car's maintenance schedule.

I was all for it, until I heard the cost for it... ~1k.

I have a goal to keep my car for at least 30k more miles, max of 50k, so I will get it replaced.

Anyone here able to separate maintenance costs from repair costs in a vehicle in your mind, or is it all the same to you? Do you consider your car's value when needing maintenance as many do with repairs?
I have no problem keeping them separate.

"Maintenance" is what is listed in the manual to be done at certain mileage points, making planning easy.

Repair is not.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
When shopping for a car I always look for vehicles with low cost maintenance/repairs. This means I stay faaaaaar away from German automobiles.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:55 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
On an old car I only replace something if it breaks. Yes, I know, timing belt is more serious but why the water pump? When a water pump "breaks", it usually starts leaking. It is not catastrophic. You can replace it when it happens. What kind of car? Are you sure it is a belt and not a chain? Belt replacement is recommended a lot sooner than 200K. This is what always happens with old cars. You never know what comes next. You keep sinking money into what is basically a clunker.
A timing belt failure can very well be catastrophic, especially on those vehicles that have what are known as "interference" engines. If the water pump starts leaking, in many instances you have very little time between the start of the leak to total pump failure. Since the timing belt has to come off to replace the water pump anyway, not replacing the pump at the same time could be a real waste of money.

Hyundai/Kia owners have seen major issues with failure to replace the timing belt, when suggested.
Ever wondered why so few 10+ year old Hyundai/Kia's are still around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive