Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,584 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have a tight garage, and I park two fairly good sized cars in it (BMW 535 and Cadillac SRX).

I need something to put on the wall next to one of the cars (like foam or rubber) just in case a door swings out too far.

My standard procedure is for the driver to back the car out of the garage, and then the passengers pile in. That removes the amount of open doors in the garage. Then we repeat the procedure when we get home. People get out in the driveway, then the driver pulls into the garage.

I have things that let us know where to stop the car like this Amazon.com: MAXSA Innovations 37356 Park Right Yellow Parking Mat: Automotive

So can anyone recommend anything to put on the wall?

What about this, Amazon.com: Prevent-A-Dent GarageTime Garage Wall Guard: Automotive or this Amazon.com: MAXSA Innovations 37357 Park Right Car Door and Bumper Guards: Automotive or this Amazon.com: Highland 9242300 Black Vehicle Door Protector: Automotive

I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times
I just got a 4x8 piece of the 1" foil backed foam insulation board and screwed it to the wall in my garage. It could be painted to match the wall instead of having the silver or foam side showing if you wanted. I did that because the front and rear doors have different impact points and the foam would work no matter where the car was parked along the wall. Or you could use one of those rubber floor mats also.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Just attach some foam to the wall where the door would hit. I've used old foam out of discarded seat cushions when I've had this problem, but if you want something that looks a little nicer than that you could use a piece of acoustical foam like they use in recording studios.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Plastic sheeting that has impact resistance could be a good option, such as: Diamond Plate Thermoplastic Sheets The bonus is that the panels make the garage more of a finished space.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Thanks for all of the input guys!

Looks like this guy has a project this weekend now. (besides taking care of the lawn...)

Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Save some money:
Use a Pool Noodle foam toy, (maybe $3?) slit in half lengthwise and attached to each wall as a bumper guard.
Six Silly But Clever Uses for Pool Noodles
Food. Fashion. Home.: Car Door Bumpers for the Garage

Similar: for an aid to know just when to stop when pulling into your garage: Use a tennis ball (or any soft ball), suspended from the ceiling at just the right location and length. So, as you pull your car in to park it will dangle like a plumb-bob and touch your car's windshield just as your car has moved in far enough.
Park Better In Your Garage With Some String And A Tennis Ball | Lifehacker Australia

Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Save some money:
Use a Pool Noodle foam toy, (maybe $3?) slit in half lengthwise and attached to each wall as a bumper guard.
Six Silly But Clever Uses for Pool Noodles
Food. Fashion. Home.: Car Door Bumpers for the Garage

Similar: for an aid to know just when to stop when pulling into your garage: Use a tennis ball (or any soft ball), suspended from the ceiling at just the right location and length. So, as you pull your car in to park it will dangle like a plumb-bob and touch your car's windshield just as your car has moved in far enough.
Park Better In Your Garage With Some String And A Tennis Ball | Lifehacker Australia
I think I like the pool noodle tip

Old 06-13-2014, 12:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
I use the tennis ball tip for both our vehicles. Never had a problem with the side doors.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:36 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
I second the pool noodles. They can be bought in nice colors too.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:41 PM

36 posts, read 75,253 times
Some car manufactures use thick foam pieces(about 1' x 6') in certain spots to protect new cars while being shipped. I stick those on the wall to help protect my truck when the doors are opened. They already have an adhesive backing and are free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive