U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 06:02 PM

8,791 posts, read 5,653,846 times

Advertisements

OK, I just got back from an hour ride in one of my sports cars. It is kinda rare.

So, while driving around, I get the usual assortment of engine reves and "hard" acceleration from teenage boys and young men diving their rattle-can modded cars.

But as I turn a corner, one guy is stopped at the light, hanging half way out his driver window waving his arms. As I look over, he gives me the "thumbs up" and I nod my head to him... But he looks disappointed that I didn't acknowledge him more.

When I was a kid and saw what I thought was a cool car, I certainly looked and if the driver was going into a parts store parking lot, I'd follow them in and strike up a conversation asking a few questions about the car. The owners seemed to enjoy the conversations.

But the cat calls and revving engines? Does anyone understand this?
To the older (pre-1960) guys. Has this been going on for a long time and I just never noticed the extremeness before?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-14-2014 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 06:35 PM

18,391 posts, read 20,134,133 times
What car do you have that entices man crushes from passing motorists?

Old 06-14-2014, 07:56 PM

16,600 posts, read 28,762,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
OK, I just got back from an hour ride in one of my sports cars. It is kinda rare.

So, while driving around, I get the usual assortment of engine reves and "hard" acceleration from teenage boys and young men diving their rattle-can modded cars.

But as I turn a corner, one guy is stopped at the light, hanging half way out his driver window waving his arms. As I look over, he gives me the "thumbs up" and I nod my head to him... But he looks disappointed that I didn't acknowledge him more.

When I was a kid and saw what I thought was a cool car, I certainly looked and if the driver was going into a parts store parking lot, I'd follow them in and strike up a conversation asking a few questions about the car. The owners seemed to enjoy the conversations.

But the cat calls and revving engines? Does anyone understand this?
To the older (pre-1960) guys. Has this been going on for a long time and I just never noticed the extremeness before?
Well, most of us old guys like sports cars, and often like them even more when an attractive woman is driving it, except that our wives would hit us on the side of the head with a frying pan if they notice that we are doing such thing.

Anyway, I don't know if you are a woman or not, but if you are, there is a 50/50 chance that the young guy was looking at you instead of the car.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,575,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What car do you have that entices man crushes from passing motorists?
Perhaps this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VNMo0S9j8U

Old 06-14-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, most of us old guys like sports cars, and often like them even more when an attractive woman is driving it, except that our wives would hit us on the side of the head with a frying pan if they notice that we are doing such thing.

Anyway, I don't know if you are a woman or not, but if you are, there is a 50/50 chance that the young guy was looking at you instead of the car.
Nope, Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
No, Definitely not the Family Truckster.

Mazda RX-7

Old 06-14-2014, 09:22 PM

18,391 posts, read 20,134,133 times
What year?

Old 06-14-2014, 10:21 PM

414 posts, read 694,268 times
Guessing you have one of the '93 - '95 Twin Turbo models? Definitely cooler looking and faster than the '91 NA model I had!

Old 06-15-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
Guessing you have one of the '93 - '95 Twin Turbo models? Definitely cooler looking and faster than the '91 NA model I had!

94 TT Red
88 Vert Red (Soon to be Turbo)

Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 AM

1,033 posts, read 3,415,369 times
Well, I believe that particular model RX7 was made popular by the movie, Fast and Furious which came out in the late 90s or early 2000s.

Im 27 and that movie came out right as I was in middle school. People around my age almost grew up idolizing these cars. They are "rare" cars and highly sought after by the Honda/tuner crowds with the rattle can mufflers.

The RX7 is pretty much the best of of the best in that particular crowd.

While I dont idolize these cars, I do appreciate seeing them and wouldnt mind having one. You dont see them everyday. Im more of a Porsche/German guy....

In comparison, An RX7 to a Honda/Tuner guy is like a me seeing an old 911 whale tail or 996.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Well, I believe that particular model RX7 was made popular by the movie, Fast and Furious which came out in the late 90s or early 2000s.

Im 27 and that movie came out right as I was in middle school. People around my age almost grew up idolizing these cars. They are "rare" cars and highly sought after by the Honda/tuner crowds with the rattle can mufflers.

The RX7 is pretty much the best of of the best in that particular crowd.

While I dont idolize these cars, I do appreciate seeing them and wouldnt mind having one. You dont see them everyday. Im more of a Porsche/German guy....

In comparison, An RX7 to a Honda/Tuner guy is like a me seeing an old 911 whale tail or 996.
OK, but why all the waiving and "hey, hey, hey, look at me?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or