Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 10:23 AM

864 posts, read 799,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Keep a civil tongue in your head when you address me.
Irishtom, this isn't Game of Thrones. Relax man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I bet there are more 80-year-old garages than there are 25-year-old or newer garages in this country.
Yup, and no one cares if people who can't fit a normal car in their ancient garage go and park in the street. The thread title isn't "Hey I've got an 80 year old garage that doesn't actually fit a modern car, so I park in the street." Maybe you can start that thread with all the other people who own dinosaur structures that should be torn down.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's low class plain and simple. When you see a garage full of junk that would make anyone on Hoarders proud, you know it's trashy. It's not a coincidence that you don't see this in gated communities and upscale neighborhoods.

If you want to judge a neighborhood, look for this. If you see a bunch of cars parked outside with the garage open showing an old weight set and bunch of junk, that tells you a little bit about your neighbors.

It just means the person can't afford a bigger home and has to use their garage as an extra bedroom or storage facility. People with nice cars will not park it on the street.
Exactly.

People don't want to say it, but low class neighborhoods usually have these type of tell-tale signs.

- Lots of hoarded junk and useless crap in the garage.
- Streets lined with cars and no parking for guest

Old 06-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I have a garage, and I don't use it for the cars... though I do have property sufficient to park them without parking in the street. In my garage are shelves full of stuff, as well as my lawnmower, rototiller, and snowblower. That stuff has to find storage somehow, doesn't it?
Hey hey Gypsy, no need to complain/explain to me. I don't have to deal with your crap but your neighbors do. I'm sure you're quite popular.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Oh you must mean like this:
Now, about those statistics showing how many antiquated non-code 1910s garages exist in the country?

Still looking? Don't worry I'll wait.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post

This guy is a douche bag: Guy who runs his mouth, insinuates people are liars, and has no clue what he is talking about. This guy is a total douche bag. +1 when he backpeddles by trying to qualify his statements after people point out there are hundreds of thousands of houses with these garages all over the country.
Look at how mad this guy is LOL

Relax little guy, it's just a discussion on the internet.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
I don't even have a real driveway - it's just a piece of the backyard off the alley I put gravel over. Just enough space for a small car between the useless garage, and the shed that a previous homeowner built. If he'd had half a brain (and from all the DIY projects I've had to correct, he did not), he'd have turned the garage into a shed and built a freestanding garage that would fit a car. If I were going to stay in this house, I'd do that.
In my town, some houses without a garage have a space exactly one car length long instead of a full driveway. Paved though.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Now, about those statistics showing how many antiquated non-code 1910s garages exist in the country?

Still looking? Don't worry I'll wait.
Why does that matter? Some people live in old housing, that's what they deal with.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
I've always used the garage for the cars, that's why the doors are made to fit a "car" and not all my other junk. Luckily I have a shed and a full basement for other storage so I can keep minimal things in my garage. But it is priority that the cars are always in the garage.

My wife when we first moved in together did not get why I wanted to use the garage for our cars so bad. That winter she got it, we were dumped on constantly and instead of having to clean her car off and warm it up she simply opened the door, got it, and left. Never had an argument again.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I bet there are more 80-year-old garages than there are 25-year-old or newer garages in this country.
14% of housing is 75 years and older in this country. 28% is 25 years and newer. Adding that very old housing is less likely to have garages, there are definitely fewer 80 year old plus garages. However, for Pennsylvania, more housing is 75+ years than 25 and newer (17% vs 28%). Your statement may be true for Pennyslvania (and perhaps Massachusetts — but a lot of old homes here don't have garages so maybe not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive