Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:21 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I don't get it! When I was 17, my first car, which was a hand-me-down from my folks, was a 1993 Dodge Caravan. That thing was awesome, as far as I remember. It was a tank, held seven people, and I could take the rear seats out and fit a 4'×8' sheet of plywood inside it with no overhang. It got way better gas mileage than an SUV (somewhere around 25 to 26 mpg, whereas most SUVs of that era were lucky to get 18 on the highway) and had more cargo room.

The other thing about them: they're about the most inexpensive vehicle to buy used. It's why I suggested a coworker look into one. He had no vehicle at all, and said above all else, he needed it to be cheap. He said he'd rather walk than drive one. This seems to be a common attitude, and I don't get it.

Maybe I'm idealizing the one I had due to nostalgia, but I know I had a ton of fun with it as a 17 year old. Especially once I got past the "no other teenagers in the car with you" restriction, which at the time was only like 3 or 6 months.

I realize that some people don't like the handling of big vehicles, but it seems a lot better than walking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:40 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
"What do people have against minivans?"

Image. No more, no less.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:47 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Because they're not "cool" and stamps the driver as family guy. Let's face it you're not gonna pick up hotties in a Caravan. I think minivans are great. For the exact reasons you listed.
They have better entry and egress, power, ride better, more comfortable, lower load floor height and cheaper to buy and insure. But all that they're still not as cool as a Suburban.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
"What do people have against minivans?"

Image. No more, no less.
Agreed.

They are the ultimate utility vehicle in terms of hauling passengers, hauling stuff, reconfiguring space, traveling comfortably long distances, easily reaching in and out at a standing level, etc.

Some complaints include power, pick-up, handling, gas mileage...these problems are also present in many SUVs, but SUVs are not *lame* or *unmanly*, so they get a pass.

That being said, I have four cars and not one is a sedan or minivan.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:58 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Seriously, I don't get it! When I was 17, my first car, which was a hand-me-down from my folks, was a 1993 Dodge Caravan. That thing was awesome, as far as I remember. It was a tank, held seven people, and I could take the rear seats out and fit a 4'×8' sheet of plywood inside it with no overhang. It got way better gas mileage than an SUV (somewhere around 25 to 26 mpg, whereas most SUVs of that era were lucky to get 18 on the highway) and had more cargo room.

The other thing about them: they're about the most inexpensive vehicle to buy used. It's why I suggested a coworker look into one. He had no vehicle at all, and said above all else, he needed it to be cheap. He said he'd rather walk than drive one. This seems to be a common attitude, and I don't get it.

Maybe I'm idealizing the one I had due to nostalgia, but I know I had a ton of fun with it as a 17 year old. Especially once I got past the "no other teenagers in the car with you" restriction, which at the time was only like 3 or 6 months.

I realize that some people don't like the handling of big vehicles, but it seems a lot better than walking!
There are always some people who dislike something. However, if that is how you think everyone else thinks, that is quite a problem you have.

Besides, who cares what other people like or don't like unless they sleep next to you.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:33 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There are always some people who dislike something. However, if that is how you think everyone else thinks, that is quite a problem you have.

Besides, who cares what other people like or don't like unless they sleep next to you.
And many times, not even them!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:37 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Yes, Minivan concepts...

I was giving a drunk friend a ride home, 15 yrs younger than me at least....she said
"I never would have thought you would have a minivan."
What? She didn't notice the leather and luxury?
I said,
"Why? Every artist drives a minivan. How else do we drive our 5 ft long
pieces to Sante Fe?"
I hope I broke her stupid concept that only soccer moms drove them.
Plus, I'm a survilalist at heart, read old hippie chick...where are you going to sleep
in a sports car or sedan?
I'm leaning towards a Volvo XC60, tho now.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

I never said that everyone thinks this way, just that it seems to be a common opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Agreed.

They are the ultimate utility vehicle in terms of hauling passengers, hauling stuff, reconfiguring space, traveling comfortably long distances, easily reaching in and out at a standing level, etc.

Some complaints include power, pick-up, handling, gas mileage...these problems are also present in many SUVs, but SUVs are not *lame* or *unmanly*, so they get a pass.

That being said, I have four cars and not one is a sedan or minivan.
I never had a problem with power in mine. I didn't expect it to handle like a race car, but it would get out of the way when I needed it to. The fuel economy is what it is, and if only one person is riding, it is not great, but for long trips, where everyone chips in for gas, it can be cheaper per person than a car.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Once the idea caught hold in the market (with Dodge, bad by definition), the automakers knew that people would buy them no matter how bad they were. So (Toyota Previa excepted), all were POS.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:40 AM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
No matter how practical a vehicle is, many people also want something they like because it is their style, is cool, looks good or another of many other reasons which they see that trump practicality. For the most part I always wanted a 4x4. A few times I have gone the car route and even tried a 2 wheel drive truck but that didn't last long before I traded in for a 4X of the same truck. I've always liked full sized 4x4's.

A mini-van screams boring practicality. The driver is a domesticated family man/woman. A style lacking mode of transportation. An appliance on wheels! I am in no way putting them down as they are perfect for some people but there are many others who wouldn't ever consider one because they don't fit their other requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive