Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,154,127 times

Advertisements

And no matter what logic or common courtesy or the law may call for, some self righteous control freaks feel compleatly fine with driving the "speed limit" in the left lane, oblivious to the interruptions they cause to the flow of traffic and when you call them on it they act like you are the one with a problem.
I know who these people are. I was once married to one, and if I mentioned something she'd get all pissy and say "do you want to drive?" And if I drove she'd get pissy again. You just can't win.
Since you won't get out of the way, at least stop trying to block those going around you. You aren't the police, stop trying to enforce speed limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,076,433 times
It's amazing that folks can't or won't grasp the simple concept of proper lane usage and how it relates to smooth, not to mention, safe flow of traffic.....

Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,824,551 times
There are some places like the LIE in NY that are too congested (while doing 60mph) most times to keep the left lane clear. It would basically just cause traffic and dangerous situations with so many cars merging together in middle and right lanes.

It's as silly as keeping 2 car lengths as a safe distance with this kind of congestion. It's just not practical.

Sometimes I think sticklers for these laws just live out in the sticks or somewhere like it.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:38 PM

269 posts, read 532,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
There are some places like the LIE in NY that are too congested (while doing 60mph) most times to keep the left lane clear. It would basically just cause traffic and dangerous situations with so many cars merging together in middle and right lanes.

It's as silly as keeping 2 car lengths as a safe distance with this kind of congestion. It's just not practical.

Sometimes I think sticklers for these laws just live out in the sticks or somewhere like it.
There is a difference between open road and congested rush hour type traffic. Of course, it doesn't apply then.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:51 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,141,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I wish this was on the front page of the houston chronicle in every language
TxDOT has put it on the TransGuide (San Antonio) and TranStar (Houston) electronic overhead signs, but to no avail.

Law enforcement simply needs to crack down on this, along with failure to signal, distracted driving, and DWI.

Last edited by Slowpoke_TX; 06-23-2014 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,141,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I looked up the organization only to discover that listening to it on this matter would be somewhat like going to the Republican Party website to get information about the wonders of the Democratic Party
Actually, there's some wisdom in doing so. After all, only a fool would trust any political party to tell the whole, unvarnished truth about itself and its leadership.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,961,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
TxDOT has put it on the TransGuide (San Antonio) and TranStar (Houston) electronic overhead signs, but to no avail.

Law enforcement simply needs to crack down on this, along with failure to signal, distracted driving, and DWI.
I totally agree.
Only problem, Law enforcement can't drive worth a damn either. They drive just like the rest of the people in houston. They are a product of there own environment

Old 06-24-2014, 06:45 AM

29,071 posts, read 14,395,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

Obviously in bumper to bumper traffic things will change, there is no flow to speak of. Common sense should be used...although I do understand common sense isn't so common...

Once traffic starts flowing and if your in the left, keeping pace with the vehicles to the right, and people are on your A_$$ , you should get the F over. It's simple.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,272,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
So, if, on a 70mph road, I'm driving a GPS indicated 70 (which is going to appear on the speedo as around 75 or so) and you're driving a speedo indicated 70 (which is going to appear on a GPS or law enforment device as 65 or so) which makes about a 10mph differential, does that make me a speed addict?

[EDIT - To put it in less scientific terms you may understand, if you're standing still and a horse trots (8-10mph) or canters (10-17 mph) past you, is the horse a speed addict?]
This has what to do with the point of the comment you were purportedly responding to and the fact that unless you're willing to obey the speed limit law you are being a hypocrite if you condemn someone else for not obeying the keep right law?

To answer your question, no. But, then, you knew that, and using your own reasoning, you would of course consider that possibility rather than throwing a hissy fit because someone is in front of you on YOUR road and not getting out of YOUR way. And for the record, I check my speedometer against both GPS and the "You're driving X MPH" radar signs that are occasionally around so that I know how off my speedometer is. In the pickup, it's 4 mph off at 70 with the tires that are currently on it. In the Honda, it's 1 mph off at 70. It's not rocket science.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 AM

2,812 posts, read 5,608,868 times
I agree with this article mostly, but moreso when traffic is light. What do we do in big city areas, where the freeway might be 4 lanes in each direction, and all 4 lanes are completely full of cars at busy times such as rush hour? If we left the left lane open and only used for passing, that would be an entire lane mostly wasted that could be carrying a lot more capacity. In reality what we see is all 4 lanes solidly full of cars slowly crawling at whatever rush hour pace at the given time, so there isn't much passing going on in that lane-- but yet it needs to be utilized as another normal lane of traffic to keep the congestion from getting even worse.

I am not a left lane hog and I hate them as much as anyone else- I am just curious how most would look at this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive