Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,324,505 times

Advertisements

Are there any websites that offer free Carfax or Vehicle History Reports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
I doubt it. i could see if there were websites that would obtain data from carfax etc but they would probably charge a fee in addition to the carfax fee. i don't think carfax would be happy to hear that their data could be obtained for free

Old 06-25-2014, 03:03 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
no

Old 06-25-2014, 07:36 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,306 times
Many listings on Autotrader provide the Carfax report for free. Other than that, none that I know of.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
NO. And don't buy cheap Carfax knock offs, they are not worth money spent, even if it's just ten bucks.
Dealer should give you full Carfax at no cost. I'd stay away from dealer that does NOT.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:50 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
CarFax is useful because it MIGHT have important information, but in my experience it is NOT complete.

I was considering several cars (used and new) a while back and paid for their "unlimited number of reports" subscription. As long as additional reports didn't cost anything more, just out of curiosity I also got a report on my current (just totaled) car.

I thought it would be a great Best Case example for the reports accuracy and completeness, since I had full records for that car back to new.
I was the first and only owner.
It had previously been in two minor fender-benders ($2-3k) and one medium ($5k) rear-end.
All three incidents had been several years in the past, 'the other guy's" fault, paid for by their insurance, and repaired at factory-qualified facilities approved by their insurance, my insurance, and me.

So all three should have been on the books and reportable by CarFax.
Only one of the three incidents were on the record. (That one had all the details correct). It also listed 3 of the 5+ oil changes done at my dealer. (Why not all, I don't know).

Bottom line? If CarFax shows you some problems, that's useful information (and worth the price), but there certainly could be other events not listed.
Get it inspected!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:02 PM

283 posts, read 349,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
NO. And don't buy cheap Carfax knock offs, they are not worth money spent, even if it's just ten bucks.
Dealer should give you full Carfax at no cost. I'd stay away from dealer that does NOT.
or better yet just stay away from dealers

Old 09-18-2014, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,725 times
You can ask your seller to provide the vehicle report for you. You can also get cheap vehicle reports from reliable sites. You can also get free limited vehicle reports at nicb.org, not complete but it does give some important information. You can also get a cheap vehicle report at VinAudit, you can get it for only $5 bucks, just search for their discount coupons online.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:38 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
If you want some free service history (if it's available), try mycarfax.com

It's not complete history but some info is better than none.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 7,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew23 View Post
You can ask your seller to provide the vehicle report for you. You can also get cheap vehicle reports from reliable sites. You can also get free limited vehicle reports at nicb.org, not complete but it does give some important information. You can also get a cheap vehicle report at VinAudit, you can get it for only $5 bucks, just search for their discount coupons online.

Edit -- I just want to add here's the discount coupon I used http://www.vinaudit.com/coupon=FRM_50OFF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive