Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:09 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,410,701 times

Advertisements

Totally agree NY Annie ! Audio books can put me to sleep.

Caveat: When I posted much earlier in this thread, and said "pack some heat", it was purely tongue in cheek, followed by a smiley face. Some people got carried away with the pun, which was meant to reflect the origin and destination of her trip. Neither end is the most pleasant, or the "kindest" traffic. I've driven all over the country, in cars, truck, motorcycle and RV. The only places we took a few weapons was tent camping in the forests, or in the RV.

Lighten up folks ! the gal has a brand new car, and I hope she has a pleasant trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 04:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,561,453 times
Credit cards.
Quarters
Cell phone

Old 06-27-2014, 07:33 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,805,450 times
Chicago to NJ isn't even a long drive... I find it strange for an adult to even have to ask this question.

Does a grown woman really need advice to drive 12 hours? If she's a teenager, I'm pretty sure her parents could give some advice.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Chicago to NJ isn't even a long drive... I find it strange for an adult to even have to ask this question.

Does a grown woman really need advice to drive 12 hours? If she's a teenager, I'm pretty sure her parents could give some advice.
For a driver who seldom drives, and I know many in NYC, after 2 hours, they can feel as though they have driven to California. That is why I said, as someone who knows the route, that I would not recommend it one day. It's not fear, it's reality for someone who lives in a dense environment and does not drive much, regardless as to the age/condition of vehicle or time of day at which she sets forth on the trip. There will be traffic, and the 12-hour Google estimate can easily turn into 14-16 hours, which is not something I would recommend to a city dweller as a one day trip.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-27-2014, 09:02 PM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Guns have their place, but not in the hands of an inexperienced, unprepared user who would more than likely would either get it taken away from her in a conflict or get arrested for having it in the wrong state.
Thank you!

Quote:
Doritos, Coca Cola and a pack of smokes
Doritos are too messy. All that cheese dust. Yuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
After reading all this. A person would be afraid to get on the road.
Seriously! The modern interstate highway system is about as vanilla and patrolled and safe as it gets, as long as you use common sense.

Quote:
If you're not used to long-distance driving, it is. To me, anything less than 4 hours is a day trip, but I've been making 4+ hour car trips since I was a baby. To others who don't routinely hop in the car for any longer than it takes to get to work or to grandma's house across town, it might as well be to the moon and back.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:37 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,240,792 times
Quote:

Under Federal regulations first enacted in 1934, it is illegal for the operator of a commercial motor vehicle to drive for more than 11 hours in a 16-hour period without 10 hours continuously off duty for rest.

11 hrs x 70 MPH - 770 mi; 900>770. And the authorities recognize that optimal conditions are seldom the rule.

What part of this don't you understand or recognize? Or perhaps casual drivers shouldn't be held to the standards applied for professionals?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,805,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
What part of this don't you understand or recognize? Or perhaps casual drivers shouldn't be held to the standards applied for professionals?
Nope, they shouldn't.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:11 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
Quote:
Nope, they shouldn't.
You're right; they should be held to higher standards.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
This is actually less than 1% statistically.

But in the event that you do strike pay dirt, and you don't have a firearm on hand? Well, you'll wish it's the only thing that you did remember to pack.

Plus, if you don't need it, guns don't take up a lot of room. Do people really see a loaded firearm as a hassle?
On the other hand, if she gets a bit of a roast beef sandwich stuck in her tooth, she'll wish dental floss had been the only thing she had remembered to pack.

If a gun is the most important thing, she can just walk to New Jersey with a gun, and leave the car home. Now she has reduced all her problems to just one.

I'm still waiting for a gun nut to explain why a person who has lived in Chicago or News Jersey all her life suddenly needs a gun, that she doesn't know how to use, to drive across Ohio. But it's not a high priority, I've been waiting all my life for a gun nut to explain a lot of things, like how I lived to be 75 without ever shooting a human being with a handgun.

You mean, you do not see a loaded firearm as a hassle, when it being waved around by a nervous scared person who has never held one in her hand before?

Here's a chance for you to perform a valuable public service. Go to a rest area on the Ohio Turnpike with a bunch of loaded handguns, and hand them out to drivers who don't already have one. Make America's highways safe.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-30-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 11:08 AM

12,879 posts, read 13,542,551 times
Quote:
Nope, they shouldn't.
I am glad that everything I do on a casual basis is not held to the same standards that a professional involved in interstate commerce is held to. After a 12 hour drive I can sleep and rest up for a day or two, highly unlikely truckers get this luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive