Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:54 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times

Advertisements

I can see now why you do not want to call them. Well, if you want to be well prepared and have hard data in hand, instead of opinions, Alldata account is only $40 for five years. That's dollar 8 a year. But it will provide you with all established repair times, that pretty much all shops use. Even some dealerships. Also, very handy for DIY types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 02:54 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Yes, OP is very cryptic. A call to the shop would answer all his/her questions

Old 07-01-2014, 02:56 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
There are many reasons why a timing chain and oil pump may need to be replaced during the normal service life on an engine, but rarely are they an isolated issue. There are associated parts that might need to also be replaced at the same time.

Perhaps the OP can provide further details as to why they are seeking this work; engine history, mileage, service/maintenance details, etc.
Vehicle is in great shape other than 213,000 miles. Might ship it to Costa Rica for a vehicle down there. This vehicle has had mucho dollars spent on it such as total brake overhaul, shocks steering parts all replaced, distributor.(previous owner). Compression on all cyls is 145. And i like it.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Vehicle is in great shape other than 213,000 miles. Might ship it to Costa Rica for a vehicle down there. This vehicle has had mucho dollars spent on it such as total brake overhaul, shocks steering parts all replaced, distributor.(previous owner). Compression on all cyls is 145. And i like it.
Are you getting low oil pressure?

Old 07-01-2014, 03:02 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Call around to a couple other shops and ask them what the flat rate is for what you need done. That will give you something to work with. Of course the shop that gave you the cheap labor rate might not follow flat rate guidelines.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:07 PM

The shop is owned by a buddy of mine. I used to work on all types of equipment but i don't anymore. I was thinking about 5 hrs labor to do it.

Maybe i should have just asked how many hours to replace the timing chain and gears. When ever i changed one in the past i always replaced the crank and cam gears also.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007
Whats to explain, timing chains do not need to be replaced. They arnt like belts that can stretch and break
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
They certainly do break from excess slack from wear and old age. When slack develops the valves open and close at the wrong time and if the slack gets bad enough the chain can jump off and break.
Timing chains, bicycle chains, mototorcycle chains... they all get longer as they wear, yes. And with sufficient wear, as you said, they may need replacing because they can cause damage if they slip off and break. Or even if they just jump a tooth, altering the relative timing.

What confuses a lot of people about chain wear is that it's commonly called "stretch," when it isn't really stretch at all, but simply effect of the accumulated wear of the individual roller pins and holes in the links. Individually it may be a small dimensional change, but the cumulative total adds up over many links.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Are you getting low oil pressure?
Yes. About 15 lbs after warming up in hot weather.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Timing chains aren't meant to be replaced
Technically you are right. But over time they wear. But most dont replace till a rebuild is needed. Then people go to double roller or timing gears. By the time ( usually) they wear out the motor most likely needs a rebuild anyway. If they break you're gonna need a rebuild. I guess you can be preemptive and replace it.

The oil pressure. Check and make sure the oil pressure sensor isn't bad. I had 95 with 4.3 and the sensor was bad. Read low pressure. It's located on the back of the lifter valley Nader the distributor and its a pita to get to. It helps if you have small fingers.

The oil pump is inside the oil pan. It most likely require pulling the motor. At that point you might as well just put in a reman.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Technically you are right. But over time they wear. But most dont replace till a rebuild is needed. Then people go to double roller or timing gears. By the time ( usually) they wear out the motor most likely needs a rebuild anyway. If they break you're gonna need a rebuild. I guess you can be preemptive and replace it.

The oil pressure. Check and make sure the oil pressure sensor isn't bad. I had 95 with 4.3 and the sensor was bad. Read low pressure. It's located on the back of the lifter valley Nader the distributor and its a pita to get to. It helps if you have small fingers.

The oil pump is inside the oil pan. It most likely require pulling the motor. At that point you might as well just put in a reman.
Thanks i will check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive