Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:39 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times

Advertisements

I need some opinions from everyone. Which one would you buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Well I don't like CVTs so no Outback for me. My personal bias. I see a ton of Honda CR-Vs on the road--any interest?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Well I don't like CVTs so no Outback for me. My personal bias. I see a ton of Honda CR-Vs on the road--any interest?
A Honda CRV is the car I almost ended up with. My daughter has one and the lease just ran out so we bought the car since Honda gave us a good price. Now my youngest daughter's car just died for good so it looks like she will be getting the Honda instead. This car is a 2011, I don't like the style of the 2014 models.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
A Honda CRV is the car I almost ended up with. My daughter has one and the lease just ran out so we bought the car since Honda gave us a good price. Now my youngest daughter's car just died for good so it looks like she will be getting the Honda instead. This car is a 2011, I don't like the style of the 2014 models.
Yeah I agree with you on the looks of the new CRV. I don't like the small back window. The Hyundai Santa Fe Sport I hear is great!!!!!!!

The Rav4 is just blah--no stellar reviews.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Check out this review of the Sonata: Test Drive: 2015 Hyundai Sonata a champ

Just to show you how far Hyundai has come.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Just compare the sound of closing the door of an Outbk compared to
the Rav4...I think u will hear the quallity of the Outback.

Certainly you will feel it on the test drive.
Good luck.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 PM

We almost went to the Hyundai dealership too because I was interested in the Santa Fe or maybe the Tucson. The Toyota dealership said the quality wasn't good, whereas they didn't say that about the Subaru. I have never owned a Hyundai, but currently drive a Toyota and have owned a Subaru before.

I have to decide this week.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
We almost went to the Hyundai dealership too because I was interested in the Santa Fe or maybe the Tucson. The Toyota dealership said the quality wasn't good, whereas they didn't say that about the Subaru. I have never owned a Hyundai, but currently drive a Toyota and have owned a Subaru before.

I have to decide this week.
Toyota owns like 10% of Subaru.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Being a New Englander, I like the Subaru more. Subaru beats Toyota from the AWD/4WD perspective, hands down. Neither is particularly attractive, but I prefer the wagon style of the Outback better - this is just my personal opinion. Both are very practical vehicles though and you can't go wrong with either since they're both under $30k (the average price of a vehicle these days) and reliable. Both offer similar standard tech features and warranties. Both have similar and excellent safety records. I *think* the Rav4 offers parking assist standard, if that's important to you. I think the Outback is about a foot longer, but both are similar in height, width and mpg. The Subaru is a couple inches higher from the ground which is an advantage during the few 12" snowstorms we get each year. Cargo space is about the same, but the "trunk" of the Outback is longer, whereas the CR-V is taller. I prefer the longer space so I can throw a bike in there in a pinch, but the RAV4 might be able to fit a small trash can, for example (double check and don't quote me on that! i just know my honda cr-v was able to fit my trash cans upright in the trunk), if you need to make a run to the town dump. I'd give the Subaru the slight edge, but mostly because I'm partial to Subarus. Toyota seems to be having way too many recalls recently. Either way, you can't go wrong though. If you're considering the RAV4, have you looked at the CR-V?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Since The Outback just arriving at dealers is the redesigned 2015 it looks to be distinctly better than its predecessor and definitely more substantial than the Rav4 I would choose that. Better interior, more passenger and luggage space, better AWD with the X-mode system standard, brake based torque vectoring to improve handling and 33mpg for a mid sized AWD wagon.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Rav4 but they seem just a little insubstantial to me. I really liked the previous generation styling but they kind of Mitsubishi'd it up with this latest generation. I did not like the 2012-14 Outback styling so much - the over sized/styled notched lower body cladding in particular bugged me- and while the changes on the '15 are subtle it has become a better looking vehicle.

I haven't driven the CVT and while I don't think I'd like it, at least from what I've read Subaru's is at least as good as they come. I think the 175 hp 4 is a little underpowered though- probably fine with 2 people and a light load but struggles with a full one and a hill. Unfortunately even the 256 hp 6 only comes with the CVT now; it does yield better mileage than the previous 5 speed. I wish Subaru would upgrade the 2.5 H4 to direct injection and try to squeeze 20 more hp and lb ft of torque. Rumor has it it will happen in 2015/16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive