Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
I'm not justifying it, but the 'logic' as to why environmentalists are often singled out works like this:

Emissions equipment on diesels = higher cost, less reliability, less power (for now)
Cause of emissions equipment = environtmentalist push formalized in legislature.
Removal of emissions equipment = more smoke.
Prius owner = environmentalist.
Therefore, 'rollin' coal on Prius (or any other easily identifiable 'pro-environment' person, e.g. bicyclist, = protest.

I'm not saying I don't disagree with some diesel enthusiasts that the push for cleaner-emission diesels has had significant consquences from an ownership standpoint, but the logic that blowing smoke on a Prius is therefore the correct course of action is childish.

Then again, it's not like every diesel owner doing this is doing it as a form of protest. Most are just doing it because it the 'cool thing to do' No logic, really, and trying to apply any will just leave you with a headache.

Mike
This is complete BS!

Everyone should be concerned about our air and water, and legislation passed has been voted for by members of both parties. The Donora Smog disaster in 1948 where 20 people died, and 7000 were sickened prompted legislation in 1955 that Eisenhower signed.

1948 Donora smog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To somehow try and make a political statement doing this is foolish, but no surprise. Clearly stupidity is not a blue or red thing.

Clean Air Act (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clean Air act was supported by both parties. I hate party sheeple, and my political party can beat up yours attitude. Reality is somewhere in the middle, and won't be found watching Faux news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I can't imagine any diesel owner spending money on their engine for the sole purpose of producing more smoke. That would be the ultimate in stupidity and I don't believe most diesel owners are that stupid.
You're right; most don't. But a few do.

I'm not totally convinced it is intended as a middle finger to the EPA so much as it is the latest form of vehicular obnoxiousness. That some of the trucks have PRIUS REPELLANT decals pointing to the smokestacks I'm sure provides amusement to some when they see it.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If these smoke belchers want to pollute the air to prove some childish point are they next going to start pouring gasoline and oil into the lakes and rivers to further push whatever point they are trying to make?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:56 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
It's retarded and a waist of perfectly good diesel.

Don't get me wrong, I love pickups and diesels but the trend seems dumb.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:08 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
It's retarded and a waist of perfectly good diesel.

Don't get me wrong, I love pickups and diesels but the trend seems dumb.
Yep, sort of like the balls idiots were hanging on their trucks a few years back. Why would anyone spend money on crap like that?

The "rolling coal" video I saw showed them randomly attacking strangers with the smoke. One target they seemed to love hitting were bicyclists. Can't people get some exercise without being assaulted? I ride a bicycle and walk for exercise and I don't understand why that would make me worthy of being "smoked out". I have known people around here to have things thrown at them while they ride or jog. Why is it people are against others getting exercise?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
As I noted in some other thread on this topic... looks like the redneck version of Critical Mass-holes.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:39 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
A *little* bit of smoke is par for course with an older diesel (just look at all the school buses with the 5.9).

But deliberately modding your truck with a smoke switch is childish. Strike that.... that's an insult to children everywhere.

People don't like to share the road with cyclists because they get held up for a few seconds.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
As stated, you'd have to be a complete moron to do this. I'm not an environmentalist myself but intentionally spewing black smoke onto people, cars and into the air is an indication of mental illness.

On top of that, its very counter productive. The EPA and other agencies will start paying attention and before you know it you've got citations and regulations up your butt. It's also damaging to businesses that focus on diesel performance as it casts the entire industry in a bad light.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
I'm going to say something about the cyclists now. Many of them are selfish, don't signal, ignore traffic laws, and where I am, actually hold races on the road. When you get behind them, you can expect a line of them, up to half a mile long, and two abreast. The roads are only just wide enough for two cars to pass, and when you get stuck behind uncourteous cyclists, there is always the temptation.

The answer is YES, but without modification needed, and until cyclists learn to wave me on when the road is clear, the answer will still be yes.

Another thing; I'm a cyclist, but do have road manners.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:20 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I'm going to say something about the cyclists now. Many of them are selfish, don't signal, ignore traffic laws, and where I am, actually hold races on the road. When you get behind them, you can expect a line of them, up to half a mile long, and two abreast. The roads are only just wide enough for two cars to pass, and when you get stuck behind uncourteous cyclists, there is always the temptation.

The answer is YES, but without modification needed, and until cyclists learn to wave me on when the road is clear, the answer will still be yes.

Another thing; I'm a cyclist, but do have road manners.
Why? Why are you going to say something about cyclists now...in a thread that has nothing to do with cyclists? Should I say something now about Sperm Whales or Hacky Sack or should I save those for appropriate threads relating to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive