Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 PM

26,408 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Subaru's must be a cold weather vehicle then. I seriously never see Subaru's in Southern California.
Take a trip to the mountains or snowbelt states and you will find plenty.
The far southern tier Sunbelt states never sold many Subarus compared to other regions of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Literally ever other car in Colorado is a Subaru

Old 07-16-2014, 12:34 AM

291 posts, read 392,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
The basics:

Honda Civic
Toyota Corolla
Subaru Forester
Mazda 6

Those are all cheap economy cars with good reliability.
I loved my Corolla so much. It is slightly cheaper than a Civic and better mileage than a Forester and more reliable than a Mazda.

It is quite possibly the most boring car on the planet.

I miss my car. Some idiot crashed into it while texting.

You could even go older than 2008 with a Corolla. Go for low mileage, like an old lady car, not for the year. I was driving my 1999 for five years straight with over 175k miles and all I had to do was change the oil and put on studded tires in winter.

I'd have bought another one but I couldn't find one for the price the insurance paid me for the totalled one I lost.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:34 AM

21 posts, read 18,574 times
I will suggest you
Toyota corolla.
Honda civic.
and Swift.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 AM

671 posts, read 690,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
add in the gen three and later ford taurus, 94-up, especially with the vulcan 3.0 V6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I won't tell you what I think. I won't tell you what to do. I'll tell you only what I know.

Wife has a 2001 Toyota Corolla. Soon to be 14 years old. 268K miles. It runs great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrasfieldj View Post
Any lower mileage older Buick LeSabre with the 3800 six, or an older Town Car/CrownVic/Marquis with the 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I dont care for the brand or how it looks. I think a used one that is a few years old will be more affordable.

Basically i dont care for the brand or how it looks

More about reliabilit, affordabilit, money saving, and not complex when changing basic stuff

Almeida93, lots of great info on this thread...I concur with the recommendations above. Especially the Toyotas, Honda Accord, old Buicks, as well as the Ford.

Consider an old Ford 500- it was at one time (2005?), the "safest" midsize family sedan out there! In fact, we're still driving ours (2005). And yes, we were in an accident... sideswiped by a huge dodge pickup. The Ford held its ground, and since it had extra reinforcement in the sides and doors, we were all protected very well. No major problems. It's now approaching 180,000 miles.

You may also want to research Edmunds.com, Consumersearch.com, and as a poster suggested, Consumer Reports for the latest data.

For our teens (one has REALLY terrible spatial relations difficulties...), we wanted "tanks" to protect them.
So, we researched and shopped around for older Volvos. Prices can run anywhere from 6K up to 17K, depending on the age and mileage.

Our son got our 10 year old Volvo s-80 first. (unfortunately, it was turbo-charged...big mistake!!!). He was in 2 minor accidents with this wonderful tank. Then, one major accident did it in (would cost too much to fix it, versus finding another old used one.) Not a bump or scratch on him.

So, we purchased him another (non-turbo!) S-80, 8 years old. No problems, and I felt very secure this car would protect him well.

2 years later, it was passed down to his sister, who had one minor, and one very major accident with it. Instead of buying another one, we had it fixed. Again, she didn't sustain any injuries, only a terribly bruised ego.

She's STILL driving it! It truly has protected her well. It's approaching 230,000 miles, and is still running strong!!!! We trust it to drive her back and forth to college, a 4 -hour trip through highways, cities, and mountains.

So, do your research, and shop around- I'm sure with all of these suggestions posted, you'll find the perfect fit for your family!

---Dandiday

Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I didn't realize so many drivers in Colorado had good taste and wisdom when it comes to choosing vehicles.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Whatever you're smoking, drinking, or snorting, you need to stop because it's obviously killing brain cells.

Subaru is outselling almost everyone and has been even through The Great Recession that just ended.

The latest generation of the Outback, Forester, and Legacy are selling so fast, Subaru can barely keep up with the demand.

Stop reading rags and go down to your nearest Subaru dealer and see for yourself or at the very least, talk to some of us who own one to learn the truth.

this....I have no idea where this guy is getting his info, but Subaru's are breaking their own records right and left. They are everywhere here(im an owner as well) and our winters are very hit or miss.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:54 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I can confirm. It's the same in WY. People either have a Ford/Chevy pickup or a Subaru or in many cases both.

At any ski resort in CO during the season the breakdown in the parking lot is:

50% Subaru (of that 75% are Outbacks)
15% Toyota 4Runners
15% Suburban/Yukon/Tahoe
10% Audi
5% Old beater Land Cruisers
5% Other

Back on topic,

I think a good car for a Young person outside of snowy regions is a Toyota Avalon. It's got good power, is quite efficient and there is no shame taking your boss to lunch in it. they are bulletproof reliable and are 90% a Lexus ES for 60% the cost.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
I dont live in a cold climate. Actually its pretty hot and dry

Old 07-17-2014, 06:06 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I dont live in a cold climate. Actually its pretty hot and dry
in that case, even though Im a diehard Subaru nut, I would opt for a corolla or civic. There really is no better vehicle out there when it comes to reliability, mpgs, cost to repair if something does happen, cheap to insure, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive