Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:13 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I just got done doing my car with this. What should I buy that is just as good? Mine's almost gone.
The NXT wax (wish is really a hybrid sealant with mild cleaners, but I digress) is still available. The actual car wash soap is gone though.

As for what to replace it with? The aforementioned Megs Gold Class is good, but I prefer Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate. You can usually find it at NAPA and Carquest stores.

http://www.autogeek.net/gallon-duragloss-wash.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 02:18 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
i know a handful of diehard motorheads and detailing geeks who do quick details or waterless washes regularly throughout the week. But they drive Porsche's, BMW's, Corvette's... all in dark colors which magnify dust & spotting. One guy down the street uses a CR De-ionized water sprayer to hose down his Shelby GT500 every other morning when he gets back from his run. His Mustang doesn't fit inside his small garage with all the junk his wife has. And sometimes I'll use the Optimum No-Rinse 2 bucket method when I don't have time for a full wash.

fwiw, I've always been under the assumption that ammonia-based soaps like dish soap will eventually degrade urethane plastics like auto clearcoats (or even hardwood floor finishes) and cause hazing & cracking. Maybe new formulations are tougher, but car wash soap are so cheap & readily available that it seems silly to use Dawn or Palmolive.
I have a setup similar to this: Deluxe Clean Water Filter Kit, 2 step water filter system, water filter for car washing, inline hose filter

Running that before my pressure washer and foam cannon, I can wash a can in a few short minutes and let it air dry with no water spots.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I have an oddball neighbor who is out there every day giving his 2010 Camry the full wash treatment buckets of soapy water,vacuum interior all glass cleaned inside and out. he also doesnt believe in applying wax to the car for some odd reason., is there a possibility he could over time wash the clearcoat off the car?
One of my neighbors has a Crown Vic he has had for years. He keeps it in his garage but the secret to it looking new is he wipes it down with waer from a bucket every morning. Water and no soap. He told me he has been doing that with his cars for centuries. I've never seen him wax it and never asked about it.

My brother down in TX runs his truck through an automated car wash daily and it looks like black glass everytime I see it. The car wash is a chain called Pirate's Cove. He gets it waxed once a year.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
In my family, we used to laugh because my Grandma's stoves broke more often than anyone else's. We used to think it was because she cleaned them too enthusiastically. But we didn't make her stop. She seemed to enjoy it. Sometimes these mindless activities give people time to think. If yoga's not a waste of time, why is quiet car washing?

Old 07-16-2014, 04:28 AM

908 posts, read 1,661,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So does no one stop to think that maybe this guy takes pride in what he has worked to obtain? Maybe he takes a lot of pride in a home that he worked hard for. Same with the car. He wants it to look the best it can, so he is willing to put forth whatever effort is necessary to keep it at its best. Maybe it makes him happy and he has nothing else to do. I personally find cleaning vehicles to be therapeutic. If I've had a busy day at work I can come home, shut my brain off and clean my vehicles and not think about work.

I'm much the same way as this guy with my home and vehicles. My wife helps, but I clean most of our house. Not because she can't but because it's the nicest thing I've ever owned so I am constantly keeping it the way that makes me happy. If you don't find me cleaning in the house, I'm outside working in our yard (I even rake the grass clippings), our flowerbeds, or cleaning our vehicles. Homes and cars are expensive, so why not maintain them so they continue to look new for years to come?
dude. this is one attribute i really appreciate in people. i am the opposite but those fastidious obsessive busy energetic "cleaners" are utterly indispensable! and movers and shakers, always getting things done on other stuff too. so kudos for you!

Old 07-16-2014, 05:45 AM

71 posts, read 80,890 times
I would care what the neighbour does as long as they are quiet. They are being wasteful with water though to wash it every day. Have to think of the environment.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trembler View Post
I would care what the neighbour does as long as they are quiet. They are being wasteful with water though to wash it every day. Have to think of the environment.
Who cares that he washes his car everyday It's his car he can do what he wants. Dose it effect your life, people love to gossip about stupid stuff and this is a very stupid story. Man get a life and worry about your own car. Are you paying his water bill so why is it any of your business what he dose with his car. It's his not yours.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:26 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
There are parts of CA that can now be fined starting Aug 1 for washing their cars. Much of the country is in a drought. He shouldn't be wasting so much water everyday. OCD...

Old 07-16-2014, 11:41 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Again, these are all your opinions. It's a free country and he can wash his car 100 times per day if he chooses (if there is no water shortage). It isn't anyone's place to decide how he should care and maintain the items he purchased with his own money. If he didn't take care of his yard and vehicle there would be a post on CD with folks complaining about that too.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
There are parts of CA that can now be fined starting Aug 1 for washing their cars. Much of the country is in a drought. He shouldn't be wasting so much water everyday. OCD...
Pretty soon people will complain that other people are flushing their toilet to much. Give me a break even if there is a water restriction it's not up to you to stop him. If someone came over and told me not to wash my car so much i would kick there ass off my property and tell him or her shut the hell up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive