Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:26 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,061 times

Advertisements

I"m in the market for a new vehicle and I've already found a lot of people are selling cars with the odometers rolled back so naturally I've become suspicious of everything. Something that I've noticed recently is the mileage won't be rolled back but there will be a large gap in the mileage history.

An example, when the owner buys the car there's no history of smog or service for 6 years. How can this be? Isn't everyone suppose to smog a vehicle every two years, at least in CA.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2001 TOYOTA TACOMA XTRACAB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 01:03 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,308,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I"m in the market for a new vehicle and I've already found a lot of people are selling cars with the odometers rolled back so naturally I've become suspicious of everything. Something that I've noticed recently is the mileage won't be rolled back but there will be a large gap in the mileage history.

An example, when the owner buys the car there's no history of smog or service for 6 years. How can this be? Isn't everyone suppose to smog a vehicle every two years, at least in CA.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2001 TOYOTA TACOMA XTRACAB
Lived out of state and moved back?

I (think) cars don't require smogging until after 5 years anyway, which would explain the gap when it was new.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:10 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Take CARFAX for what it's worth. The first time I used it was for a late-model (at the time) Dodge Dakota that looked like it had been hit by a train but was still driveable (damage was 100% cosmetic, there was just a lot of it). CARFAX report showed absolutely nothing.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:31 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,405 times
A Carfax report cannot be believed as gospel. Your mileage may vary. Literally.

I have one car where the Carfax mileage and the actual mileage differ by over 200,000 miles.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:03 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
In looking at it, the records Carfax has show a pattern of mileage reports that seem to me to be very legit.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,061 times
Another truck that I'm curious about on Craigslist I was able to get the mileage readings from the dealership where it was serviced. Somehow it didn't make it on the the Carfax report. So everything checks out on paper but the guy selling it doesn't want to meet at his house and objects to me taking it to a mechanic, so you never know.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:24 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Somehow it didn't make it on the the Carfax report. So everything checks out on paper but the guy selling it doesn't want to meet at his house and objects to me taking it to a mechanic, so you never know.
Both are very understandable. When I sold my Jeep, I didnt meet anyone at my house, and if they wanted a mechanic to check it out, they had to bring one with them. If you wanted a test drive I was in the passenger seat with you.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,825,278 times
I've not read of anyone getting info from CarFax that was incorrect, but I know from my own experience that the info is NOT necessarily complete.

I was considering several cars (used and new) a while back and paid for their "unlimited number of reports" subscription. As long as additional reports didn't cost anything more, just out of curiosity I also got a report on my current (just totaled) car.

I thought it would be a great Best Case example test for the reports accuracy and completeness, since I had my own compete records for that car back to new.
* I was the first and only owner.
* It had previously been in two minor fender-benders ($2-3k) and one medium ($5k) rear-end.
* All three incidents had been several years in the past, 'the other guy's" fault, paid for by their insurance, and repaired at factory-qualified facilities approved by their insurance, my insurance, and me.

So all three should have been on the books and reportable by CarFax.
Only one of the three incidents were on the record. (That one had all the details correct).
It also listed 3 of the 5+ warranty oil changes done at my dealer. (Why not all, I don't know).

Bottom line? If CarFax shows you some problems, that's useful information (and worth the price), but there certainly could be other events not listed.
Get it inspected!

Old 07-18-2014, 04:39 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
I agree with the posters ahead of me, Duster.

CarFax is a valuable tool but, due to the old "Poop In, Poop Out" syndrome . . . it is not perfect.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:34 PM

283 posts, read 349,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Both are very understandable. When I sold my Jeep, I didnt meet anyone at my house, and if they wanted a mechanic to check it out, they had to bring one with them. If you wanted a test drive I was in the passenger seat with you.
Agreed. No way am I letting someone take my car without me in it anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive