Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 PM

20,266 posts, read 36,992,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I have as a second vehicle, my old work van. It gets lousy gas mileage but it seldom needs repairs. I can afford to buy a little more gas for it easier than buying another vehicle. It's a 1985 with only 120,000 miles. Probably drive it another 10 years.
Best of all, your work van is all paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 09:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,683,287 times
Why don't poor people drive fuel efficient cars?

Many reasons: (As previously mentioned)
Poor people have fewer choices.
They are often 'crisis' managers, and can't get far enough ahead to the forest to see the light (By necessity or choice).
They may not have a mindset, or the training to think fuel efficient.
They often have been swayed by a less than credible sales person.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:20 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,828,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Reminds me of an anecdote from a friend of the Kennedy brothers when they were at Harvard. The friend complained he was always having to lend them money because they never carried cash on them.
I know that's true.

I attended a boarding school with someone from Grosse Pt MI, from the famous Fischer family, she NEVER EVER had cash on her allegedly. But was the only student in the school with this remarkable allowance of $50.00 per month in grade school in the 1960's. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! And she'd never lend anyone a penny!!!

Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,609,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Poor people buy transportation. Rich people buy status. Ford's workers bought Model T's. Ford's executives bought Duisenberg's. So what else is new.

I belong to an antique Ford club and submit articles of interest for our newsletter. What you've stated particularly intrigues me. I have not been able to find any proof that Henry Ford and his upper echelon drove anything other than Ford cars. It would be an interesting twist. Would you please share your source? Thanks!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:23 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,949,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This discussion really spawn from a topic I spoke with my colleague about. We as managers know how much our subordinates make and yet they're always complaining they're broke. So my colleague was saying that one of his staff owns an Audi A6 and he's complaining about being broke. Well maybe that expensive Audi is one of his financial issues.

Then my colleague who also drives a Prius shared the revelation that a lot of poor people stayed poor because they make bad financial choices because they often try to emulate what people who are well off does such as buying driving gas guzzlers and eating out a lot.

I think driving SUVs is a choice, because there are many cars that are both save and provides good gas economy without costing a lot.

There's no reason a BMW X5 is your safe SUV of choice when you could drive a compact SUV like a RAV4.

These are decisions poor people make that keeps them poor.
Who says just because they shop at Walmart, they are poor or made poor decisions?

Old 07-28-2014, 02:36 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,071,808 times
The question is not "why don't poor people drive fuel efficient vehicles" but "why don't more people drive fuel efficient vehicles, period?".

Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 AM

28,597 posts, read 18,629,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The question is not "why don't poor people drive fuel efficient vehicles" but "why don't more people drive fuel efficient vehicles, period?".
I alluded to that earlier. They're buying used cars that had been put on the street from the first by people who make a lot more money.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 AM

45,046 posts, read 60,097,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

I don't just to **** you off.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,697,971 times
The majority of poor people that I have known in life have horrible money management skills, are slaves to mass consumption, and simply don't THINK before they buy. If you asked a poor person this question their reply would be "why would I do that?", then they would go buy a Ford from a local dealership.

It's the same reason obese and overweight people walk around saying they know they need to lose weight and then 10 minutes later you see then down an entire box of twinkies.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:21 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,071,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't just to **** you off.
You only wish you had that kind of influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive