Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:00 PM

283 posts, read 349,814 times

Advertisements

it's a dick move
it's also a stupid business move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 03:09 PM

83 posts, read 114,751 times
You wouldnt be so happy if you had to roll up every single one of the pennies into penny rolls. You cant just take them to the bank loose like that. The bank will deny your deposit and tell you to roll them up. Hours of labor out of spite. Smart move from the dmv

Old 07-25-2014, 03:11 PM

283 posts, read 349,814 times
sure you can
it's 2014, banks have coin counting machines these days

Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,058 times
This dealership is going to receive a lot of backlash over this. It was their mistake that they did not put that labor was not covered under said warranty, I probably would have wanted labor covered under the warranty too. Perhaps the reason business has been slow for him is the way he treats his customers.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Refusing to "take sides" on this one but . . .

I'm always amazed when someone buys a Used Car or Truck (very used in this case) and expect it to be the same as a Brand New Vehicle, including the warranty.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:58 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
I am having an argument about this on Facebook right now..
I'm pleasantly surprised that most people on here - just like me - see no serious issue with this.
money is money.

Besides, I do wonder if there is more to the story..
Person who has to borrow $400 to fix the car, should not have bought a SAAB in the first place that just shows that person did little to no research.

oh, and to the person who said that 400$ is steep; maybe, in your area it is; in IL you'll be paying ~120-150$ an hour for transmission work.
Money is money, but it's a dumb PR move on the part of the dealer.

I don't have a problem with it.. But.. Not good for business.

I just so happen to have a transmission invoice sitting beside me.. Thanks to getting my truck out of the shop yesterday..

Rebuild Transmission Service - $1411.00
ATF Fluid - $49.99
Torque Converter - $389.00
Labor to remove, rebuild and reinstall transmission - $1250

What I want to know is what about the transmission could be fixed at all for $400 including labor. That seems low even for a torque converter... Which you could get a cheap one for a Saab for $200, but.. I'd think you'd be looking at more than $200 in labor to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Refusing to "take sides" on this one but . . .

I'm always amazed when someone buys a Used Car or Truck (very used in this case) and expect it to be the same as a Brand New Vehicle, including the warranty.
I expect whatever is in writing. Obviously, the warranty did not exempt labor charges, so.. Winner - Car buyer in this case.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:38 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually, while pennies must be accepted in payment of a debt or the satisfaction of a contractual agreement, merchants don't have to accept pennies - or any other form of legal tender, for that matter - as payment for goods or services.

In this case, I think the court-ordered refund would probably be considered a contractural obligation. So if loose change is what they're offering she probably has no choice but to take them. The article says that some banks are now charging people to run coins through the counter, but most aren't. If her bank does it's time to find another bank because they're probably charging her for a bunch of other stuff that other banks wouldn't.

My only concern would be, what if it winds up being short? I'd probably insist on having an employee of the dealership come along to the bank to verify the amount.
Merchants definitely impose some restrictions on these sorts of things. Some won't flat out take pennies.

Some won't take credit card unless there's a minimum order. According to contract agreements with the credit card companies, they have to take their card if it's above 50 cents. They can't use "vendor fees" as an excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive