Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:19 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times

Advertisements

It's called common sense also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 02:25 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Ugh.

I know of NO state that gives anyone right of way. The states only stipulate who must YIELD right of way.

If I must yield right of way, I do so. Even if the [redacted] who doesn't know the rules sits at an intersection, holding up the entire world because he or she doesn't know a damned thing about right of way. Usually after a minute or two, they figure it out and make their turn.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:15 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
I drive defensively, not to be a nice guy, but because i have an aversion to death, mine and others.

I do not expect others to follow the rules of the road, or even the law, and my defensive approach has paid observable dividends in terms of not heating a child who darted in front of my car on a side street, a dump truck that flipped over in front of me, and several misses involving other cars crashing red lights.

I live in a country where there is basically no traffic enforcement, anywhere; everyone is taught to "follow the rules"; and people make up their own rules.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:01 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
+1 They must have seen too many of those captain obvious commercials
As opposed to posters that have been here for years with large rep points doing the same thing

Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
But he really didn't have anything to say, hence the "Captain Obvious" comment. All he really did was start yet another ranting "I hate it when people do this" thread. Most people hate something that other people do on a regular basis, this is not newsworthy.

And on the other side of the coin, most people do something at one point or another that other people hate. Of course this is an anonymous environment and I don't know what most people here do outside of this board, but my "real life" experience has taught me that those who bring up these captain obvious complaints are those trying to divert attention from their own shortcomings.
I'd put money on there being at least one person who does this, never realised that it is dangerous because safe traffic flow depends on predictability, and will stop after reading this post. That is a public service.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
I see it all the time, where someone is very tentative in making a turn and they slow down traffic to the point of being dangerous. For example, you are making a left turn and there is a guy coming the other way who is making a right turn into the same street. Instead of keeping moving, he stops dead and sits there, supposedly to be nice to you, but he actually confuses the situation because you are not sure if you should go or what.

If these drivers had simply kept moving they would have maintained the flow of traffic and not run the risk of someone rear ending them or otherwise hitting someone else.

Don

Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 AM

78,323 posts, read 60,517,579 times
I've actually seen an accident caused by this and had someone try to be "nice" to me....clueless that they were waving me forward....into the path of another car. I just sat there then pointed at the other car coming and they looked sheepish.

My pet peeve is people pulling up across from you and not putting a turn signal on so you don't know where they are going. When I can tell they are actually intending to turn across my path I'll actually turn off my turn signal and 95% of the time they get the clue and turn theirs on at that point.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Giving up your right of way "just to be nice"

That is really effin' annoying.
But I doubt most people understand right-of-way rules as it is.
So maybe they just don't know it's their turn and they're waving you on bc they are confused.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
They are being "nice" to the car they are "letting in", but at the same time, they are BEING RUDE to all the cars behind them (who have been waiting forever)!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:19 PM

17,983 posts, read 27,442,251 times
If you work for the city like I do, have a cdl like I do, you are taught to not go when they wave you on, but rather to just follow the rules of the road.

This is a good topic because it's generated discussion and educated some of y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive