Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 AM

11 posts, read 13,111 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I left my car sitting for 6+ months, and now it won't start unless I jump it. Do I need to buy a new battery? One person told me to slow charge it overnight, and that should keep the battery alive. Is this true? Where can I get a budget-friendly car battery? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Many junk yards will sell a good battery for few bucks.
CLEAN BATTERY TERMINALS AND POSTS, it's all rusted.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:52 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
If you don't want to go the junk yard route, any auto parts store will sell and install a batter for you. (autozone, pepboys, napa, orileys, advanced, ect....)

Old 07-26-2014, 09:48 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
Depending on age of battery, a low amp 'maintenance' type charge may bring it back to life, for awhile...if it's 4-5 yrs old or older, I would replace it.

That low, slow charge via Battery Tender or C Tek type charger may resurrect it, if not too old/not depleted by sulphation process, or not. And, it may take 24-36 hrs to bring it to green.

Imo, unless one has or wants to buy a decent maintenance charger, (~$50), I rec'd a new batt, as others have: AZ, et al install them.

Only caveat is that most batts sold in stores already have very reduced CCA and volts from sitting. Every new batt I have bought in last several decades goes on a low amp charger for a day or so, to bring it up to snuff.
YMMV...
GL, mD

Old 07-26-2014, 09:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Auto Zone has good batteries. Consumer Reports rates car batteries every couple years and Auto Zone regularly rates near the top of the list. They will install the battery for free but you have to bring the car to the store for the free installation.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:08 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
I can cannot believe the prices of batteries has increase dramatically. I jus bought one two weeks ago.

Wherever you buy it from. Make sure you get one with a good warranty. If you plan to keep your car for more than two years. Get the 5 years warranty. Make copy of the receipt. The receipt they give you will fade.

When these battery dies, it die immediately. It's not like the old days, where you can try to charge it.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:13 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Costco is around $75 for a battery. very easy DIY job on most cars.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiysz0nN View Post
Hi guys. I left my car sitting for 6+ months, and now it won't start unless I jump it. Do I need to buy a new battery? One person told me to slow charge it overnight, and that should keep the battery alive. Is this true? Where can I get a budget-friendly car battery? Thank you!
Sears is another good source for a new battery.

I would definitely NOT recommend jump starting and driving it as that only puts an added strain on other components of the vehicle's electrical system.

A New Battery is a bargain by comparison. Also, if you plan to allow your vehicle to "sit" for extended periods a good Battery Tender will eliminate this problem in the future as long as your use it regularly.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:56 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
walmart

Old 07-26-2014, 03:06 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Any auto parts store near where your car battery breaks down is the easiest and simplest way to go. It doesn't matter if you're surrounded by hardware stores, or in the middle of a one-horse desert town in Arizona. Just get it fixed.

It is often worth the extra funds to buy not only the battery that your driver's manual recommends for your car, but also for a prolonged manufacturer's warranty (I'd rather do, say, four years than two years). Some stores offer warranty extensions of 1-2 years beyond the expiration of the manufacturer's warranty, for a price, of course.

I'm still using my battery I bought in 2010 and it was a "low end" battery, but with I think a four year manufacturer coverage. I'm doing fine. I remember driving it up and down hills for three miles during rush hour from my office to the auto parts store, hoping my car just wouldn't die. I had to have the car jumpstarted and if I slipped the clutch just once, the engine would shut off...and I would have been sitting in a traffic lane with a dead car. That was not a fun experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive