Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

How low can you go? Not that low if you live in Quebec.

Road & Track reports that the Canadian province has essentially banned cars featuring extremely lowered suspensions from being registered.

Quebec bans lowrider cars | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:00 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
If you read the ban, it's about lowered cars, it's about cars with more camber than stock, and cars with greater offset wheels than stock, which covers a LOT of modified cars, not just lowriders. In fact, my completely safe BMW would have been illegal there, as well as my stock, Mustang GT with custom wheels.

It's a bad precedent and I'm shocked that SEMA isn't all over this one.

Of course, this is coming from the province that has tried to ban English and English based slang...

Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
I got a ticket for traction bars being below the rims on my Vega when I was a kid. I took them off, got the ticket signed off, and painted them flat black and put them back on. In California nothing can be lower than the bottom of the rim.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:26 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I got a ticket for traction bars being below the rims on my Vega when I was a kid. I took them off, got the ticket signed off, and painted them flat black and put them back on. In California nothing can be lower than the bottom of the rim.

I see cars and trucks that should be ticketed all the time for either being too low or too high off the ground, but rarely do cops pull people over out here in CA for that kind of stuff because our culture is so dominated by being and looking "Cool" that cops pretty much leave drivers alone unless they look suspicious.

I know that sounds stupid but I find this to be true as so many people especially in SoCal drive customized cars/trucks all the time that they look the other way, but cops in CA are very lenient compared to most other states that they frankly aren't too concerned about people in a Chevy or Import being too low to the ground for safety reasons.

Canadians are tightwads.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:12 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I think it is reasonable to require a practical amount of height for the vehicle. Otherwise public infrastructure (such as driveways and speed bumps) could be damaged by a vehicle that is too low.

But unless they can show that "hellaflush" vehicles are unsafe - this is an over reach.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:13 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
They probably got tired of having to clear debris off the road from when these people hit frost heaves and potholes. Or tired of having to tow them off the road when their cars couldn't get through a few inches of snow.

Québec is rough country, weather-wise. I've driven up there many times, and you'd have to be crazy to want to lower your car up there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive