Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
As any one considered how a semi with a 53 foot trailer goes around a roundabout?
Yes -- see here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
They don't, they drive right over the top!
Only if a) the roundabout is designed poorly, or b) the truck driver sucks at his job, like this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
. . . Roundabouts in the U.S. have failed everywhere they have been installed. . .
No they haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
You should tell that to the multiple traffic circles in my area that seem to work quite well. I'm actually having trouble visualizing what a failed traffic circle looks like.
One with a diameter that's too small to create sufficient spacing between cars entering from adjacent entry points (that is, a car entering from the west is already blocking out a car trying to enter from the south the instant the former enters the roundabout). Like the one at 524 Lee Boulevard in Richland WA. Residents say it's completely useless at managing traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Diagrams and wordy descriptions never helped me, I'm a visual learner. This ad from the Wisconsin DOT is the only thing that has ever made a lick of sense to me:
"Wordy descriptions" can be pretty much reduced to "LOOK LEFT AND GO." (Unless of course you're in AUS or the UK, then it's look right.) If there's an opening when you approach, keep moving. If there isn't, stay put until there is. Easy peasy.

Last edited by Drover; 07-31-2014 at 12:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 01:08 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
Roundabouts in the U.S. have failed everywhere they have been installed.
Really? I'd like to see some proof of this, because we have many of them in New England, and in general, we like them.

Quote:
But at least there's one up side. There won't be a revenue camera installed.
And less waiting around, less wasted gas from idling, fewer emissions, fewer fatal and injurious collisions (roundabout collisions tend to be sideswipes and fender benders, as opposed to broadside and head-on), less congestion, and an overall more pleasant driving experience.

Intersections are some of the most dangerous places on the roadways. Roundabouts manage to increase both safety and efficiency at the intersections they are used. I don't know how that constitutes a failure, because it sure sounds like a success to me.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publication...067/000675.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive