Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM

45 posts, read 76,496 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I have taken great care of my 2001 Acura CL-S, has 161k miles on it now.

My question to all you here, do you guys change the power steering fluid on cars? My family has owned multiple cars over 200k and we have never changed the power steering fluid. I have no problems with the power steering at this point. Since I recently moved, I have taken the car to 2 Acura dealers, and 1 said to change it, and 1 said not to change it. I found a private Japanese mechanic and he said not to change it and it's a waste of money. Many mechanics say that power steering is "lifelong" and you shouldn't change it unless you have some problem -said the fluid will always be dark when it's this old and that's normal.

Do I really need to change it? Just wanted to ask the automotive community here! I make sure the oil, tranny fluid and coolant are up to date. I always try to do things myself to save money, so will just order Honda PS fluid from Amazon and change it myself than the $110 that Honda or Acura wanted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
I change it myself, I figure it can't hurt other than minimal cost to me. I do it every year or so, when I am waiting for the engine oil to drain. I usually suck it out with a Turkey baster and refill, run it and redo 2-3 times for a fresh fluid.
You have to make sure you are using the right fluid though. Your Acura probably calls for a Honda specific fluid ($$).

Old 07-31-2014, 12:46 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Your Acura probably calls for a Honda specific fluid ($$).
Honda power steering fluid costs $3.25 per 12 oz jug online. The Honda P.S. reservoir holds about 12 oz. The total capacity of the P.S. unit is about 1 liter. Repeat draining and filling reservoir 5 times to replace 86% of old fluid with new. Do it once at 60,000 miles, then drain and add two jugs every 30,000 miles thereafter. That is more than enough.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:51 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Some cars also have filters in the PS system somewhere. i know BMW has one in the reservoir and the filter is changed by replacing the reservoir. Changing PS fluid is easy and cheap, changing a pump or even a rack is much less so. I've always changed PS fluid and never had a problem in a rack with high mileage cars.. but you never know!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
the Power steering is a closed system and the oil, unless contaminated by dirt if the cap goes missing, should stay clean. Don't fix what ain't broke is always a good idea.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
only the owners manual knows for sure........

Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
the Power steering is a closed system and the oil, unless contaminated by dirt if the cap goes missing, should stay clean. Don't fix what ain't broke is always a good idea.
Even though it is closed system, most power steering pumps are rotary vane. If you are familiar with rotary vane pumps you know that the vanes are designed to wear down over time. Each vane is spring loaded against the machined casting so that as they wear, they still maintain a seal. However that worn down vane material has to go somewhere, into the fluid. Some manufacturers use in-line filters, most do not. Hence the need to replace the fluid and/or filter.

Also do not forget metal particulate from gear box or steering rack use over time. There is quite a bit of metal on metal force in these steering mechanisms that again, wear over time. Flakes and metal bits are then suspended in the fluid.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:10 PM

45 posts, read 76,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
only the owners manual knows for sure........

I always follow the owner's manual. But the Acura owner's manual never mentions power steering fluid, implying don't bother changing it. My friend's 2002 Acura CL manual never mentions anything either.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:35 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
Power steering fluid is about the only fluid I never got specific with.

I always got whatever gas station power steering fluid and used it and its fine. You should only need to refill it if theres a leak. Ive had a leak on the seals that are on the end of the rack. Usually a torn boot on both tie rods is a good indicator of maintenance needed.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:41 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
At 161k miles, it is due for a refresh, no matter what the manual says.
Just use the "turkey baster method".
Buy 2 bottles of the Honda PS fluid.
1. Engine off, use a turkey baster to suck out as much fluid as you can from the reservoir, then top off with fresh fluid.
2. Drive the car around the block or similar, turning the wheel back/forth multiple times.
3. Repeat the above steps a couple more times. You will notice the fluid getting cleaner and brighter red and probably notice less noise from the PS pump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive