Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:40 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

I have a similar problem, I only have high-speed on the blower motor.

On my vehicle, the high-speed blower has voltage directly wired to the motor.......lower-speeds go through the resistor-pack. So I am going to assume I have a bad resistor-pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 10:00 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have a similar problem, I only have high-speed on the blower motor.

On my vehicle, the high-speed blower has voltage directly wired to the motor.......lower-speeds go through the resistor-pack. So I am going to assume I have a bad resistor-pack.

It almost always is.

That's a good, typical wiring diagram of how these things are setup.

Let's say you have a break in the resistor between 1 and 2 using that diagram. In that case, you'll have 2, 3 and High, because there's still a path to ground.

If you have a break after 3 in the pack.. Then you'll only have high, because, as you can see, when you're set to High, the resistor is totally bypassed.

If you had a situation where you had NO speeds at all.. Then it gets tricky. Obviously, first thing to check is the fuse and you hope it's that, but then.. You have the potential for it to be the switch, and this diagram is pretty basic.. In newer cars that switch probably isn't leading directly to the resistor, it's probably going to the BCM in some weird Fly-By-Wire setup. If it is the fuse, then the question becomes.. Why did the fuse blow? This situation is the one that has the biggest chance of turning into a nightmare.

I'm no fan of loading up the parts cannon.. And while you could obviously pull the pack and test it with a multimeter.. If I were you.. I'd head down to your local parts store and get the pack and throw it in. On the off chance it's not the resistor pack, you're not out much money. And.. the relative accessibility of this part on most vehicles usually indicates how common it is for them to go out. If I were a mechanic being paid to fix the problem.. I'd test the pack before ordering/installing a replacement.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:12 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFL View Post
My Ford's AC hasn't been working on low, but today 2 stopped working. What is this, the blower motor?
JULY 2014

Haven't heard for OP since 2014. Is it fixed yet?

Old 12-10-2018, 10:57 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
JULY 2014

Haven't heard for OP since 2014. Is it fixed yet?

OP said it was fixed, and was the resistor, in post #19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive