Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:13 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times

Advertisements

Whenever I'm in the car, I can only pull in 2 strong AM stations (1 talk radio & the other a sports channel) & 1/2-dozen FM stations (mostly Spanish speaking channels). There's nothing I want to listen to, but geesh, I thought I would be getting dozens of stations to choose from in any large city in America??? I'm in Encinitas, 30-mi north of San Diego... certainly not a black hole, but being so close to a large city, I'm stunned that I get only static or very poor reception on the majority of stations the Scan/Search feature will stop on. BTW, when I was driving through downtown SD recently, the results were the same.

When in Denver, I didn't have this problem & had tons of stations to choose from. So, why is this happening & is there anything I can do to pull in more stations? I only have a small screw-on antennae on the roof... perhaps I need to buy something better???

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 06:23 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I recently rented a Hyundai Elantra and I thought the radio in it was on the crappy side. My '99 GM had a Delco radio that was always great for reception and for a stock( it was an upgrade CD player) radio the sound quality was very good, too.
The GM had an actual antenna and I think the Hyundai had a built in one. If you have lots of low power AM stations they can drown each other out.
I remember one time our local SE PA radio station lost its main antenna in a storm and was using a much lower power one. On the same frequency was a Christian station out of North Carolina which greatly interfered with reception.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:31 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Is the antenna plugged in to the back of the radio? Is the connection good?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
What kind of car? Factory radio?

Old 08-03-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Is the antenna plugged in to the back of the radio? Is the connection good?
Thanks for the replies, everyone. No idea, Me. I can unscrew it from the roof & was told to do so if going through a car wash... which I've never done (it's only been hand washed). Sorry... I'm not mechanically inclined & don't know how it connects to the interior of the car.

Hoffdano... "What kind of car? Factory radio?"

2011 Honda CR-V (the most basic one, not a fully loaded SUV). Factory radio with CD player & an input for MP3 player.

I'm guessing it's not a broken part, since I had great reception with many radio station choices in Denver (AM & FM), until I relocated here. There weren't any bags squashed into the dash area, whilst relocating, so I'm guessing the wires underneath are all intact???

There have to be a ton of stations in San Diego, no? Is there something I can check underneath the dash? (Forgive my naive q's.)

Old 08-03-2014, 07:24 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Try the AM at night to see if you get more stations, also try another radio to see if it picks up more than the car.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Try the AM at night to see if you get more stations, also try another radio to see if it picks up more than the car.
No difference at night, unfortunately & oops, I don't own a radio, other than what's in the car.

I'm moving out-of-state in Oct... maybe that'll do the trick.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
No idea why you were getting reception in Denver, but not in San Diego. I recently went on vacation in SD and rented a Nissan Maxima. I can confirm the suburbs north of SD have plenty of FM stations.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:03 PM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
If you're only getting 2 AM stations and 6 FMs.. Something isn't right.

Template:San Diego Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are 32 FM stations and 14 AM stations in the San Diego market.

AM.. Let's leave out of the conversation until the end, because.. To be honest.. AM is a beast unto itself. There's MANY things that blow out an AM signal and then there's the power of the station itself.

If you're only getting 6 FM stations out of 32 in the market.. Something is wrong. Do you have a clock radio? What reception are you getting on it? It should, in theory, be worse than you car.

Are you only getting the 6 stations when using scan? If you go through the dial, how many of the stations listed on that Wikipedia page do you get? What's the quality of them?

102.1 you should be getting period. It's licensed to Encinitas, though the transmitter is actually on Mount Soledad. The city of license should always be getting the signal. Though, I can tell you that 106.7 WJFK in DC went to a backup transmitter in the mid 00's and couldn't be picked up well in its city of license of Manassas.. But that was temporary.

AM signals.. Atmospherics play a part in them.. Here in SC, in winter, when the sun goes down, I can get the mighty KCJJ out of Cedar Rapids, IA. I've picked up WLS Chicago here before. Those are flamethrower stations.. WLS is a 50k watt station day and night.. KCJJ is 10kW during the day, but goes down to 1k watts at night, but, the higher in the AM band, the farther the signal can 'bounce'. During the day, even though it's transmitting with 10x the power, that signal probably only goes about 60 miles. There's a few of those AM stations in the SD market that are 500 watts. Those probably only carry to the building that the transmitter is located on.

And.. If the ignition system has any problems in your car.. The best detection for that is AM radio.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:08 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
No difference at night
Something has to be wrong, likely a bad connection to your antenna.

Normally a radio should pick up far off stations broadcasting at 50,000 Watts during night time hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive