Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,297 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm a Southern CA native moving to Chicago for work. My current car is going to my younger sibling, but my job will require a car (getting called in at odd hours, though short commute to suburbs from the city), which I am going to purchase once I move there. I plan to live in a building with covered parking and amenities that allow me to jump in my car at 3am and go to work despite a blizzard, not having to shovel my car out. Please do not try to convince me that I don't need a car, and how difficult the city makes it to own one, etc. Thanks.

Realizing that the most important safety feature is the driver, I want to supplement my driving skills with a safe, well-performing vehicle. It'll be the first new car that I'll be purchasing on my own.

I've done some research, and I'm thinking of getting a Subaru Outback (2.5i, premium vs limited). I am looking for a car that can handle Chicago's snow, potholes, and city parking/driving conditions -- it seems practical to choose the Outback.

Any input/feedback from current/previous owners and any Chicagoans is appreciated.

Also, I want to avoid unnecessary upsells/upgrades at the dealership, especially ones that they'll try to stress as "necessary in the snow", though I know that I should get some kind of coating against the road salt. What else will I *really* need? What things are they gonna try to make me buy that are generally a money trap for car buying in general?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 01:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
You didn't mention if your job is close to a train/subway line - or if you have considered finding a place that is on or near the train/subway. That is absolutely the best option in Chicago. (I lived and worked in the loop area for a few years).

edit to add: That was a few years back and my parking in Navy Pier area was over $300 a month. That was underground in the complex I lived in. When I had to drive to work due to odd hours, near the Sears Tower, that parking added another $20 a day, but was still cheaper than getting a cab both ways.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:17 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
The Subaru is a very good choice. Other cars/ crossovers with AWD and decent ground clearance are a choice nearly as good.

The unnecessary additional-dealer-profit items commonly encountered are: undercoating/ rust protection; upholstery protection; and extended warranties. There may be more. Watch out for stuff that gets added to the contract after you think you have agreed on a price.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:48 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,080,722 times
Will you have the option or ability to keep a second set of snow tires?

A Subaru with all-season tires is a better choice than a FWD car with all-seasons. But if you have the potential to get called in at all hours and actually have to drive during storms (as opposed to after the roads are plowed), a set of snow tires will do wonders for you. ESPECIALLY if you're not used to driving in the snow.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:19 AM

865 posts, read 2,160,544 times
Put snow tires on your current vehicle for the winter months.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
An Outback is a fine choice for year round duty in the north.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,175 times
Moving for an unproven job AND acquiring the debt of a new car? Noooooooooo

Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
The Subaru with AWD is as good a choice as any, but any Front Wheel Drive car with decent ground clearance is fine. I grew up in Chicagoland and lived in the upper midwest for 25 years. The dealer add on that I would recommend in that climate is all weather mats; the carpet ones will get gunked bad halfway through the winter; get the weathertech brand. Also, I would try and avoid large wheeled models; potholes are hell on rims and the less rubber-wheel ration you have the more likely you are to screw something up. Keep in mind that tires are important too; Snow tires are nice in the Chicago winters, but not absolutely necessary, especially with the vehicles you're considering.

Some people really liked remote starts in the cold as well.

I would also look at a Forrester, a Rav4, or a CRV.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 AM

522 posts, read 721,493 times
If you need help finding a car, pop me up. One of my clients is a dealership owner, and will be able to lend a hand.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Moving for an unproven job AND acquiring the debt of a new car? Noooooooooo
Pretty sure he knows what he's doing. You know practically nothing about his position. An "unproven job"?
So how long should he wait to buy a car? 90 days? 6 months?
Knowing nothing of his particulars, you assume far too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive