Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:08 AM

120 posts, read 286,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
You won't need a car to date in a big city like LA. This isn't high school when you had to pick up the girl and drive her around. You're 26, you'll be dating twenty-somethings or thirty-somethings, they'll be okay with transporting themselves to and from your dates.
Thats what I thought as well (I use to live in San Francisco where nobody owns cars).
But it seems to me that it really is necessary here in LA- from my place to Santa Monica takes 2 hours by public transport! One has to take a 1 hour metro ride, and then another 1 hour bike ride!

I think you are spot on about your branding comment though. I have zero branding right now. I'm all over the place, like a shotgun approach, which I think turns women off because it confuses them. They don't know who/what the eff I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
It isn't about the car getting him dates, it's about the car carrying him and his date to places in the greater Los Angeles area, that can't comfortably be done on a sccoter. And in doing so, he wants the car that he's carrying his date in to be comfortable, and say that he has money to take care of said date.

In that case, I'd say a nice CPO used luxury car. One that says I have money to buy a luxury car, but I'm not buying an overpriced one. Lexus LS460, a CPO M5 or even 550i, a CPO Audi A6 all fill the bill. A 2011 or so Mercedes S55 or E55 AMG would be nice, as they don't look too new, but are still very nice inside. And they aren't old enough to be considered a "hood ride" like the early 2000's S and E class do. Would look good pulling up to a restaurant in one.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
I think you're going after the wrong types of girls (not going to say women here). These girls that want you to "step up your game" will give no care at all that you have worked extremely hard for what you have and will gladly not work at all to take as much from you as possible.

If you want to feel loaded without giving off the I'm looking for a gold digger vibe... go with more of a classic type of car. This will also likely be a factor in showing that you're not "new money".

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
CTS-VSport?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 AM

Or you could just go in a completely different direction all together and do what I'll likely get as my first new car....

Ariel Atom!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:19 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,765 times
i like all the naive people saying that he should remain pure and wait for the right girl who is innocent and not at all concerned with money. hahaha

not telling you to bag a gold digger but girls like guys who are successful and you are. nothing wrong with having a car that suggests you are successful. girls do it with handbags and nice clothes (and cars) all the time.

since you are 26 i recommend something sporty like an Audii RS5, BMW 435 or that Macan you mentioned if you want an SUV.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 AM

120 posts, read 286,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I think you're going after the wrong types of girls (not going to say women here). These girls that want you to "step up your game" will give no care at all that you have worked extremely hard for what you have and will gladly not work at all to take as much from you as possible.

If you want to feel loaded without giving off the I'm looking for a gold digger vibe... go with more of a classic type of car. This will also likely be a factor in showing that you're not "new money".

Exactly why I think the 80s/early 90s era Volvo Station Wagon 240 might be the best bet? But my question is would that particular car send that message?

I don't want people to think I'm some weird broke hippy guy either.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Why don't you tell us what sort of woman you want to attract and we can advise on cars based on that.

I'm totally serious.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerous View Post
Exactly why I think the 80s/early 90s era Volvo Station Wagon 240 might be the best bet? But my question is would that particular car send that message?

I don't want people to think I'm some weird broke hippy guy either.
I don't know what you want out of a car. From what it seems you want a car to be able help land some tang. ANY car should do that as if you're just getting a car to take you from point A to point B that isn't feasible with a Vespa, you should get a car you're going to get the most enjoyment out of.

For me, I also like racing (the legal kind) so having a trackable car is something that I would really be interested in. Your hobbies might come into play. Ex. Say you do a lot of outdoors stuff and go to the mountains... having a Civic isn't going to be the best idea for that.

In general the 80s/90s Volvo wagon is meant for a special group of people that are either going to build it and make it a sleeper, or are more for the utilitarian use of it because it's a wagon. From this thread I don't know if you're in either of those.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:41 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerous View Post
I grew up dirt dirt poor with no parents. I basically worked my ass off and now have "made it", so yes. I'm new money. In many ways I'm still a dirt poor kid who thought having a $1 bill to buy a bag of chips was a lot of money.

So much that I don't own a car. I've never owned a car. I've always had beaters I paid less than $3k for, and hand-me-downs. Currently I drive a Vespa Scooter. I don't have a GF and I don't really go out. One of the reasons is that I live in a city where driving long distances is required, and doing so on the Scooter is a little stressful at night. (Los Angeles)

Am I thinking too much?
Yeah, buy a Volvo if you never want to get laid again.

I had only scooters in high school, due to financial constraints. It wasn't "cool" 25 years ago, it was just lame. In fact that's never really been cool. Few women with any self-respect have use for guys into any of that. As OP mentions.

Likewise, I too didn't own a car worth a hoot until I was 27 (BMW 325i convertible). Got that frugalness from my dad. Exception being my 1981 Supra, discussed elsewhere, that I held for a year or two before buying what I really wanted (a really nice used motorcycle). Yep, still difficult to date as a young adult without a car, indeed. The bad boy on a bike thing is mostly a myth unless you're an outlaw biker, and then the rules of civilized society don't apply anyway.

If you're really at a $100K budget and not trolling, and want to buy new for sure (wan't quite clear to me), take a look at the new BMW M4 coupes that are hot off the press past month or so. Sharp cars, and a middle-of-the-road statement in terms of performance vs. value. In a place like LA it'll blend right in. In fact I saw the first new one around here (Seattle metro) just yesterday, in an interesting metallic factory color. M3s (and now M4s) can be mild to wild, from silver or gray to metallic purple. There is a bit of a cult around them, for good reason, as M3s are considered by many enthusiasts a great runaround car on street or track.

Buddy of mine has an Audi RS5 in Glut Orange. Looks pretty nice, without being terribly obnoxious though that orange-thing may or may not be a fad. I like it. The car certainly performs well. Thinking that was pushing $90K when he took delivery more than a year ago.

I have a 911 Turbo, bought used, on a similar theory to yours, among other things, frankly. They are screamers (supercars) up one full notch on performance and etc. from most of those BMWs, though certainly not all. Few, if any, Turbos are "bargains" (hold their resale reasonably well) and cult of the Porsche 911 is a peculiar thing. New ones are waaaay out of your budget however. If they float your boat, do consider a close look at a CPO 997-series Turbo (c. 2007-11) that may be right about at your budget. I have zero regrets with mine, other than it's useless to haul much: mostly a toy and a way to attract the attention of police.

Must admit, the M3 and M4 are tons more-useful day-to-day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive