Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
You're right, there was no distracted driving before cellphones and won't be after we ban all of them, cause cellphones are the only things that can and do distract drivers.

Or maybe you're just an idiot.
Says the person with a reading comprehension problem. Where in my post did I say there was no distracted driving before cell phones? I didn't. I was pointing out why they made a law focusing on cell phones as opposed to other forms of distracted driving. Unlike other forms of distracted driving, a cell phone records the exact date and time, down to the second, of every call and text. This is evidence used in the collection of accident reports. They don't have such hard data for other forms of distracted driving. Also, some of those other forms of distracted driving are not as common nor socially accepted practice as cell phone use while driving.

I wonder if those arguing against cell phone driving laws are people addicted to their phones?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:42 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
looks like you two bozos are the ones not caring about the 'law' as it's clearly noted above.
thanks for the reply anyway
The bozo is actually YOU for going to court (TWICE) with no lawyer.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Unlike other forms of distracted driving, a cell phone records the exact date and time, down to the second, of every call and text. This is evidence used in the collection of accident reports. They don't have such hard data for other forms of distracted driving. Also, some of those other forms of distracted driving are not as common nor socially accepted practice as cell phone use while driving
That would also explain why they go after speeders but not other accident-causing factors as much that aren't as readily quantifiable but are also found to be contributing factors. That doesn't make it right. When you single out one thing but not all things consistently, it's tantamount to a witch hunt of sorts.

Regardless, they can't get that evidence (I'd imagine) if you wipe your phone first, unless they subpoena your phone records, but how are they going to do that if they don't know your number or if it's a TracPhone type of phone not possessing account information in that way?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:15 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Principle is a very personal thing. Some people are willing to go to jail for their principles. Some things matter alot to you, but I could give a rat's butt about. And vice-versa. This is something that has stuck in his craw.. I say, good for him for standing up for what he thinks is right. More people should do it. I'm not OVERLY optimistic about his chances.. I think he would save himself alot of headaches by just paying the fine. But.. If he wants to fight it.. More power to him. never should the power to fight injustice (real or perceived) be taken away. And, legally, he does have a valid argument..
Extremely good point. In another thread I took a lot of criticism for fighting a ticket that I thought was stupid. I partially posted here just so i can save this response.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times
I advise you to turn off your phone before you enter the courtroom.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That would also explain why they go after speeders but not other accident-causing factors as much that aren't as readily quantifiable but are also found to be contributing factors. That doesn't make it right. When you single out one thing but not all things consistently, it's tantamount to a witch hunt of sorts.

Regardless, they can't get that evidence (I'd imagine) if you wipe your phone first, unless they subpoena your phone records, but how are they going to do that if they don't know your number or if it's a TracPhone type of phone not possessing account information in that way?
If the accident is serious enough, you won't even think about wiping the phone.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:14 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Actually you're not using basic grammar to break that sentence down. it does not break down like that:

"Manually enter multiple letters" or "text in the device as a means of communicating with another person"

"In the device" is a prepositional phrase and is separate. So the break down is thus:

"Manually enter multiple letters or text" "in the device" "as a means of communicating with another person"

the law according to the rules of grammar, clearly states not to manully enter letters or text.

So by the letter of the law, he is correct. He didn't "manually enter letters or text," nor did he actually read text.
I think your interpretation of the law is correct. However, I'm having some trouble reconciling it to the OP's situation.

If someone is using this app that's totally voice-activated and has both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road while he's using it, how does a cop even know he's texting?

Feel free to call me a.cynic, but the available information suggests that we're not hearing the whole story.

Last edited by duster1979; 08-09-2014 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 07:22 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
And you made the "quota" list. Being as you wasted my time by bumping this thread up, I'll resume repping those others who've time you've wasted.

Are you texting and driving now?

Old 08-09-2014, 07:58 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Hi, i got a ticket 3 months ago for "texting while driving". I was at the airport, picking up wife; going 5 miles per hour, and using the "Text by Voice" app which allows for texting without any type of manual input into the phone.

I went to court last month and the judge didn't agree with me that the law says only "manually entering multiple letters or text in the device as a means of communicating with another person" is illegal. The officer said (i think incorrectly) that all texting is illegal.

i have a appeal court date next week (by a Jury!) and could use all the help i can get.

Any advice for presenting my case in court?
Just saw a stat on texting while driving. More than 30,000 accidents a years attributed to texting while driving, which is over 80% of all accidents.
I don't think a judge is going to be sympathetic to your case....

Old 08-09-2014, 08:00 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
looks like you two bozos are the ones not caring about the 'law' as it's clearly noted above.
thanks for the reply anyway
And you don't care about anyone but yourself.

And even if it was not the law, self-centered people like you are why our trauma center has so much business.

Pay your fine and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive