Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:24 AM

774 posts, read 2,590,967 times

Advertisements

Sorry dude but you broke the law now it's time to pay up. I would simply pay the tickets and take the points. You don't have a lot of options and odds are the points will never make it back to you insurance company. Mine never have.

For what it's worth. In your situation I would have been going a hell of a lot faster than 88. I was faced with a similer situation with my grandmother a few years back. I won't say how fast I was going but I went from Chicago to Dayton OH in a hair under 4 hrs.

I knew the risk and I'm sure you did too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 07:17 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,663,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Revenue generation is sickening. Absolutely horrifying.
That idea certianly fits your screenname.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:44 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Just pay the fine. Your worry over this is not worth the few hundred dollars. Is GA going to report to CO?
Yes they will, and CO will assign points the same as if the violation occurred in CO.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM

33 posts, read 48,720 times
To the OP...a few weeks ago I got pulled over on the FL turnpike for 85 in a 70 and the ticket was around $250. I was looking for ways around it (ticket clinic, etc) but decided just paying it off would be easier and probably not that much more money. For the points I did some stupid online course for like $25 that should prevent it from jacking up my insurance, and half the answers that I didn't pay attention to during the slides I just googled.

Sucks but the POS cop got me when I wasn't paying attention

Old 08-11-2014, 02:38 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,163,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes they will, and CO will assign points the same as if the violation occurred in CO.
Do you know for a fact that there is reciprocity between these two states? Usually it is between neighboring states, GA and CO seem an unlikely pair. I have had a couple tickets from a couple states away from mine and there was no change to my home state driving record or insurance.

EDIT: According to this, GA is not part of the DLC so OP should be safe. I would get a more official reference than this one to confirm, however.

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/1720...y-with-another

The states I received violations in years back (10?) are in this DLC yet my records were not affected.

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 08-11-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Do you know for a fact that there is reciprocity between these two states?
Yes.

Quote:
Usually it is between neighboring states, GA and CO seem an unlikely pair. I have had a couple tickets from a couple states away from mine and there was no change to my home state driving record or insurance.
It's between all states that are members of the Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC).

Quote:
EDIT: According to this, GA is not part of the DLC so OP should be safe. I would get a more official reference than this one to confirm, however.

Which states have reciprocity with another? - DMV Answers

The states I received violations in years back (10?) are in this DLC yet my records were not affected.
It's not the DLC the OP needs to be concerned with; it's the NRVC. According to the American Asociation of Motor Vehicle Administrators, the body that administers both compacts, both GA and CO are member states. The OP would is advised to figure out what if anything can be done to keep GA from reporting the violation.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:56 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,175,082 times
Quote:
Do you know for a fact that there is reciprocity between these two states? Usually it is between neighboring states, GA and CO seem an unlikely pair. I have had a couple tickets from a couple states away from mine and there was no change to my home state driving record or insurance.

Which states have reciprocity with another? - DMV Answers

For whatever reason the OP is driving around CO and living there for 1+ year on a Georgia DL and insurance/tags.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,799,854 times
RE: All those comments about updating state of residency. What the heck? Stop trying to hijack this thread. The OP admitted speeding and is fine with paying the fine. She just wants advise on how to minimize the overall financial impact. What with insurance consequences, (possible thousands of dollars a year differential), that's a very valid concern.

RE: All those suggestions about flying. Read the posts!
OP's Post (#15): She says she is deathly afraid of flying, plus the ticket would cost $1,700 + rental etc (so totals probably over $2k).

Flying hours:
0.5 to pack vs tossing everything in a trunk.
0.5 take care of cat
0.5 drive to airport
2.0 departure times = find parking and get to terminal (0.5) + ticketing (0.5 assuming expedited, all carryon so no bag check-in) + security & walk to gate (0.5) + gate arrival safety factor (0.5).
4.0 flight time (Googled "DEN to ORL flight time")
1.0 arrival, terminal hiking, get rental
0.5 drive to Moms
=8.5, lets use 9 hours best case
All assuming flight departure time is absolutely optimum per her decision to fly. IE: There are no flights shown from 12:30pm to 5:30pm, so if she clicked the stopwatch at 8:30am, her actual fly out time is 5:30pm, add 9 hours thumb-twiddling, new total
= 18 hours worst case

Cost? Apx $2,000

Goggle Maps says the driving time from DEN to ORL is 30 hours, 2,100 miles
at 25 miles/gal, and 3.50 $/gal = $294 say
= $300 (gas)

12-20 hours extra to save $1,700? I'd drive too!

RE: Those who are criticizing her about speeding: 88 in a 75. It really depends on where this happens. I lived in Atlanta and know a stretch of Interstate that has a 10 mile long stretch used for morning commutes, counter flow, that has a far-left lane 'reserved' for 90+ drivers. I saw it medium full, at that speed, consistently every workday for over 2 years. She could have just been keeping in traffic (maintaining the speed of other drivers being the situation recognized as being the safest).

To the OP: Your concern is to minimize long-term costs, IE: insurance hits. I totally agree. Work the system. If you were local, it's almost a certainty that if you 'fought' the ticket by not admitting guilt & paying, but rather showing up at the court date, a very junior ADA would be there look at everybody's tickets. He'd rubber-stamp you a reduced speed to a +14, (to eliminate points), as long as you admitted that guilt at that time, paid their fine/costs, and didn't clog their calendar.
Since you're not local, you should investigate hiring a lawyer to stand in for you in the same process. Probably cost you an extra $200 fee, but well worth it in keeping off the points.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:58 AM

^^ It was not 88 in a 75, it was 88 in a 70. Anyone who does not expect to get pulled over doing 18 over in virtually any jurisdiction, road type, location, or circumstance is an unmitigated knothead and has no call whatsoever to call the officer who pulled him over a POS.

Furthermore, it's not $1700 to fly. The OP mentioned that's what United and American Airlines was charging for a direct flight. The OP had several other options, such as flying a different airline and/or taking a connecting flight. I was able to find flights from Atlanta to Denver on one day's notice for as little as $150 and non-stop flights as little as $320. So obviously the OP was using the worst-case scenario for dramatic effect. And if my mom were on her death bed, I'd find a way to overcome my fear of flying if the alternative was to drive 2/3rds of the way across the continent and greatly increase the risk of not seeing her one last time. Even if I couldn't bring myself to fly, I certainly wouldn't be blaming a cop who pulled me over for a flagrant speeding violation and who wasn't responsible for me not getting there on time at any rate.

If the OP didn't want us to comment on those aspects of the story, the OP shouldn't have brought them up.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 AM

9,612 posts, read 21,161,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
RE: All those comments about updating state of residency. What the heck? Stop trying to hijack this thread. The OP admitted speeding and is fine with paying the fine. She just wants advise on how to minimize the overall financial impact. What with insurance consequences, (possible thousands of dollars a year differential), that's a very valid concern.
The OP hijacked her own thread by editorializing her feelings toward the officer who was just doing her job by pulling her over. If she'd stuck to the facts the thread would have died a quick, painless death.

Quote:
RE: All those suggestions about flying. Read the posts!
OP's Post (#15): She says she is deathly afraid of flying,
People who are "deathly afraid of flying" get on planes every day if they have an important enough reason to do so, and I think for most people visiting a perent on her deathbed would be fairly important. She wants us to feel sorry for her because she didn't make it home in time to see her mom before she died, so again, she opened the ball on this one.

Quote:
plus the ticket would cost $1,700 + rental etc (so totals probably over $2k).
As others have said, there are better deals available. She didn't want to fly so she didn't make any attempt to find a good deal, and is using the one high price she found to validate her choice not to fly.

Also, as she was supposedly mulling over the decision the price went from $1400 to $1500 to $1700.

Quote:
12-20 hours extra to save $1,700? I'd drive too!
Even if your mom was dying and those 12-20 hours might easily represent the difference between whether or not you got to see her alive one last time?

Quote:
RE: Those who are criticizing her about speeding: 88 in a 75. It really depends on where this happens. I lived in Atlanta and know a stretch of Interstate that has a 10 mile long stretch used for morning commutes, counter flow, that has a far-left lane 'reserved' for 90+ drivers. I saw it medium full, at that speed, consistently every workday for over 2 years. She could have just been keeping in traffic (maintaining the speed of other drivers being the situation recognized as being the safest).
I don't recall every single post in this thread, but I don't believe anyone has really criticized her for speeding. She's being criticized for crying about getting caught speeding. I'll freely admit that I don't always stick to the speed limit; but I acknowledge that it's something I do at my own peril and if a cop stops me I'm not going to refer to him as a F-ING POS as the OP did.

And I certainly won't be doing my speeding in a brand new $60K SUV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive