Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This should give you some idea.

As you can see, visibility to the right is quite compromised...
and that is about what tony saw. as you can see there is limited visibility in a world of outlaws sprint car.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:02 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i've watched a few videos numerous times. the engine revs. could that be an acceleration? or a downshift? i don't know enough about those dirt track cars to say. personally, i think it looks like he could have avoided hitting him. he was wearing a go pro, so that footage would at least show if his head was even looking towards the guy.

tragic either way.
The only outlaw car I've been up close to was 1:1 direct - no shifting. That's why they steer more so with the throttle then the steering wheel and spend so much time on opposite lock.

Whether he could see him or not, it certainly doesn't look like TS slowed down. I'm still trying to figure why the guy was pointing and gesturing at the car in front of TS right before he was killed. I would think that would have given him time to see him, so I don't buy that TS didn't see him at all.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:05 PM

245 posts, read 298,412 times
I hope Nascar will start reforming and penalize drivers who get on the track or confront other drivers on the racing track. It is sad that it had to come to this and I don't know if they are taking action or not?

RIP Kevin Ward Jr

Old 08-11-2014, 12:13 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Tony Stewart Hit and Killed a Fellow Racer

Old 08-11-2014, 01:36 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This should give you some idea.

As you can see, visibility to the front-right is quite compromised. You can also see him wiping the dirt off his face shield at 1:21; no windshield on a dirt track is another factor to consider.
Thanks. The visibility looks pretty tough and by the way he's jerking the steering wheel back and forth the handling looks challenging, too.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:45 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Whether he saw him or not, Ward had zero business jumping out his car on to the track in the path of oncoming cars. That's the bottom line. He let his anger and emotions get the best of him and it cost him his life.

Last edited by louie0406; 08-11-2014 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,650 times
TS is an experienced veteran driver, hence, he could have avoided hitting Ward plain and simple. I hope TS pays for this in more ways than one.

Stewart may not be out of the legal woods yet, CBS News legal analyst Jack Ford told "CBS This Morning."

"They're going to look at all possibilities here," Ford said. "There could be some type of charges out of here that don't focus on intent."
In other words, Stewart might have not meant it, but there is still the possibility of charges like criminally negligent homicide if prosecutors can prove Stewart was "ignoring obvious risk," Ford said.

Stewart got in a helmet-throwing incident two years ago and made a statement that could play a role here: "I checked up twice not to run over him. And I learned my lesson there, and I'm going to run over him every chance I got until the end of the year. Every chance I got."

What's next for Tony Stewart after fatal track accident? - CBS News

Old 08-11-2014, 06:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Thanks. The visibility looks pretty tough and by the way he's jerking the steering wheel back and forth the handling looks challenging, too.
Just keeping the thing in a straight line at yellow-flag speeds is a workout. Watch how the front wheel tracks all over the place when he's just trying to go straight on yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
TS is an experienced veteran driver, hence, he could have avoided hitting Ward plain and simple. I hope TS pays for this in more ways than one.
No, it's not that plain nor simple. Even the most experienced driver can't account for the actions of an erratic hothead who gets out of his car and deliberately puts himself in harm's way, especially in very limited-visibility, limited-traction circumstances.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:03 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times
If people would look at the whole Video they would see that when Tony
sped up his car the rear wheels went away form Ward to the left side, not to the right side toward Ward.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:08 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
There's also the question of visibility with the angle the kid was coming from and the wing on Stewart's car potentially blocking his view. Amazing to see all of the "experts" trying to fry the guy before we know the facts. SMH...
Does anyone realize the weight of this post? How much of the dumb A$$ kid in a black racing uniform would Smoke have seen when not looking for him on the track. He is following a car following a pace car and that is work enough. I don't think many people ealize the configuration of those cars - everything sticks out on the right side - far - so the car can hang out and power slide through the turns - that's how they steer. Ward's family knows this.

BTW...the wing creamed the kid. Did anyone catch that? I was watching for it.

A motorcycle is blocked by your index finger. The roll cage and wing struts get in the way when racing, let alone watching for an unseen kid in a black suit and helmet on a dimly lit dirt track in the middle of the night.

Those who think Stewart is other than a good racer know little of his success in sprint cars. I saw him race at Ventura with Kenny Irwin and Mike Bliss the year he won the Triple Crown. He has won the sprint Cup championship 3 times. He has driven in the Indy 500. The man owns his own racetrack. You seriously think he is going to purposely run down another driver? He might throw punches but so do other drivers. Ward wanted to throw something...too bad he threw his life away.
Smoke is feeling really down about this because he isn't the monster some make him out to be. He wouldn't own that race team if he was as ass. He has the only woman in the sport on his team.
He refused to drive at Watkins Glen Sunday.

One thing that struck me as odd...cops went onto the track...why? Where were the officials? I have never heard of cops on a race track; new one on me.

I get to see WOO 10/3 in PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive