Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:41 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Ugh, so angry!
I got a ticket yesterday for not stopping for a "pedestrian" on the cross-walk! But little do you know, that "pedestrian" is an undercover police.. he walked back and forth probably 3 times as I was pulled over, and I counted 6 other cars being pulled over with me in a 20 minute time span. WTF. I'm so angry.

I have no excuses really, except it was a huge street and the "pedestrian" literally just stepped on the cross on the other left side of the road as I just about to approach the crosswalk on my side.

Have any of you fought a ticket of this sort? What can I say?!?!?! I'm going to appeal. I have perfect record until this ****

Honestly, that sounds like a pretty lame ticket. I never really thought about it, but I guess the law says you have to stop. I know I would probably not stop if the pedestrian was something like 4 lanes over, just stepping out if I was right at the crosswalk and I bet most other people wouldn't either.

On the other hand, if they do this often, you might be able to get a good deal from the DA that should not affect your insurance much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 01:47 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,276 times
The cop has to work off the donuts somehow. He figured might as well kill two birds with one stone and write some tickets

Old 08-13-2014, 01:54 PM

283 posts, read 349,814 times
yea so give people tickets for not slamming their breaks and getting their cars slamme into in a busy intersection when there was no chance of hitting anyone. well done cops.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonggamer View Post
yea so give people tickets for not slamming their breaks and getting their cars slamme into in a busy intersection when there was no chance of hitting anyone. well done cops.

Pedestrian safety "stings" are usually more effective and needed in busy and notoriously unsafe intersections, don't you think?

Old 08-13-2014, 01:57 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Honestly, that sounds like a pretty lame ticket. I never really thought about it, but I guess the law says you have to stop..
I remember seeing a stop sign police trap by a elementary school. The PO told me that the school & parents of the kids complained about drivers blowing the stop sign frequently....he told me that he gave out well over 30 tickets in one day.

Of course I can't say this is the case with the OP but its very plausible someone in the community complained this was problematic.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:59 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Pretty common ...

Pedestrian Safety Campaign - People Behaving Badly - YouTube

Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, that's what traffic cops do -- enforce traffic laws or improve traffic safety (in this case, pedestrian safety).
that's the thing they often don't.
they'll ticket you for being 14.5 half feet away from a hydrant or going 2 mph over the speed limit safely to meet a quota but when people are drving unsafely the don't do ****,

the other day i saw a traffic cop give a guy a ticket for alternite side parking (fine he deserved it) while totally ignoring an ice cream truck that was parked diagnally through an intersection at the corner of 2 2 way streets at a stop sign.
so not only did people have to go in the wrong lane to turn, you also couldnt see around the truck on one side to see if any cars were coming.

you tell me which is the safety issue and which is the money grab.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:06 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Ugh, so angry!
I got a ticket yesterday for not stopping for a "pedestrian" on the cross-walk! But little do you know, that "pedestrian" is an undercover police.. he walked back and forth probably 3 times as I was pulled over, and I counted 6 other cars being pulled over with me in a 20 minute time span. WTF. I'm so angry.

I have no excuses really, except it was a huge street and the "pedestrian" literally just stepped on the cross on the other left side of the road as I just about to approach the crosswalk on my side.

Have any of you fought a ticket of this sort? What can I say?!?!?! I'm going to appeal. I have perfect record until this ****
Why would you bother going to court when it was a plainclothesman??? Just pay the ticket and be more careful!

Old 08-13-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Pedestrian safety "stings" are usually more effective and needed in busy and notoriously unsafe intersections, don't you think?
sure so give people tickets for running lights and stop signs in those areas. not for continuing straight ahead when they aren't going to hit anyone, have the green light and have cars coming up behind them. what good does causing damage to cars and people in the cars for no reason whatsoever do?

when some idiot crosses heavy traffic against the light you shouldnt just stop unless you're actually going to hit them.

not one of the pedestrians in that video was actually in any danger of being hit.

those stings weren't about safety, they were a money grab. if it was about safety they would be ticketing the idiots crossing who might cause accidents if people are actually dumb enough to stop for them when there is no way they're gonna hit them.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I remember seeing a stop sign police trap by a elementary school. The PO told me that the school & parents of the kids complained about drivers blowing the stop sign frequently....he told me that he gave out well over 30 tickets in one day.

Of course I can't say this is the case with the OP but its very plausible someone in the community complained this was problematic.
that's totally different than what's being done in this video.people blowing stop signs by a school is a big safety problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive