Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:59 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,671,589 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about the blanks manufacturers put in place of missing options in car interiors (traction control, fog light switches, etc)

It's funny with some base models you will have 8-10 blanks. You know you got the bare bones model. I personally buy the second from base model so I get some nice features. I have never gone full premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,121,230 times
Nope. Only bought one new car. Had just about every option except leather. I liked the interlagos plaid interior better

Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,002,933 times
No. Different option packages have different switches, and some cars are still going to have blanks due to options available in other markets. One was fully loaded, but the "fully loaded" model had brake ducts in the bumper which deleted fog lights - so no fog light switch. There was another "blank" for rear fog lights, required in Europe, not available in North America. Another was fully loaded, but lacked heated seats and mirrors as those were a Canada only feature - so again, blanks on a fully loaded car. Yet another came with hard drive audio in Europe, not in North America - so the audio system had a selector for a feature that didn't exist.

There is no connection between a car being "fully loaded" and the inclusion of blank panels.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 AM

90 posts, read 366,009 times
The blanks always me make me feel like I am missing out on something.

But you can have some fun with those blanks. Make some professionally looking stickers and put things like "Nitro" or "Eject front Passenger" on them

Old 08-18-2014, 08:56 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,671,589 times
Good to know. Always wanted to see one fully loaded with no blanks but looks like that may not be possible on many models

Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 AM

9,121 posts, read 14,660,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback1313 View Post
The blanks always me make me feel like I am missing out on something.

But you can have some fun with those blanks. Make some professionally looking stickers and put things like "Nitro" or "Eject front Passenger" on them
MINI actually made some stickers like that as when they first introduced the car here, even with every possible option, you had at least one blank spot in the row of switches where the rear fog switch would be (fewer options and you had another blank or two). The rear fogs were only available in Europe until people realized you could order the euro switch panel, spend about 30 minutes changing them out and have the dealer program that option on the next time you were in for service. (the actual bulbs were in the rear brake light housing, just not used in the US)

My wife's 2005 Jeep had a couple of blanks in it as we did not have the hard top or locking rear diff. I actually ordered a rear wiper switch and wired it to a garage door opener I hid behind the dash so she could just hit that button and not have to have the opener exposed when the top was open. Less chance of someone stealing it and using to break in or just a jerk throwing it in the trash or something.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 08-18-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 09:42 AM

15,677 posts, read 20,170,578 times
My G35x has all it's available options other than the chrome rims. Not a huge loss there.

My 03 Mustang GT had all the options including the chrome rims and Mach 1000 stereo.

My 1988 Mustang (still have it) has every option except for cruise control (weird combo there)

Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,835,011 times
I've owned cars with blanks on the dash and in more than one vehicle I was able to install the correct switch for whatever feature was missing on my vehicle and make it functional. Frequently, they only use one wiring harness for all models and the connector pigtail will be present there anyway even though there is no switch.

Certain items like fog lights might be tricky to install (especially if the bumper fascia is different) but even if you use aftermarket fog lights you can install the correct OEM switch in the dash so it looks like it belongs there. But other items are so easy to install (like the power trunk popper) there's no reason not to do it.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 AM

3,228 posts, read 2,069,256 times
It's not always possible to have no blanks, and sometimes it's just foolish (financially) to max out on options. I know two people who made some unbelievably stupid purchases recently: 44k for a Ford Escape and 53k for a Ford Edge. I had to shake my head in disbelief regarding the absurdity.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
GM trucks of the 1970s and '80s without air conditioning used to put a little recessed storage area in the dash above the heater control unilt where the AC vent would otherwise be. After driving a few of those I had a hard time firuring out where to put my loose change when I bought one with air conditioning.

Last edited by duster1979; 08-18-2014 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive