Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I don't care what they look like, what I DO care about is the bumper height of these lifted cars and trucks. I pulled up next to a lifted truck yesterday, and the bottom edge of his bumper was right at my eye level. Great, in an accident, all of my car's safety systems would be pointless and I'd get decapitated, so that his car can look cool to him. Nice.

I know many states have rules about this, but I see so many of these lifted cars and trucks with unmodified bumpers that enforcement must be either lax or non-existent.
I agree, PNW

There is also a huge safety issue as these modification "violate" the overall engineering of the original vehicle design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,063 times
I think they are a riot. Down here in Dade we see them all the time. I just saw a 4 door camry with 22's. I dont know how they lifted it, but it was, and they fit. They are unsafe and lame, but that is time they are spending working on the car and not out mugging people, so it works out in the end.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I agree, PNW

There is also a huge safety issue as these modification "violate" the overall engineering of the original vehicle design.
It must affect the handling, too.
Raising the center of gravity higher.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:32 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,063 times
Dont forget brakes... Bigger wheels, heavier rotating mass, stock brakes dont work as well... You never see them with upgraded brakes..

Old 12-28-2007, 03:33 PM

In other words, they are most likely more dangerous to drive on the street than unmodifed cars.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:26 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
This is a culture in the SE and is very liked especially in the Black community. It's really a Southeast type of thing especially popular in Florida and Georgia. Texas is different as they use cadillac's to caprice's. But box chevy's are not big in Texas. Some are nice but I like the caddy's and caprice's better.

This at the Texas relay's. Just a small example.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nfiwt8sK_aU
If you don't want to hear the music, just turn it down.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:38 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
If one were to try to legally operate a vehicle (LEGALLY) like that in New Jersey they would have to submit it for a rollover test so it can be certified to operate on public roads. My gut feeling is that it wouldn't pass. I guess if someone wanted to build one and take it down the local car show that's their business but I agree that they can't be safe.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:42 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
For those who don't know, Donks are the Impalas, Cadillacs, etc. that people jack up (like a 4 wheel drive) and put on big rims, etc.

Here's an example:

I personally think they look hideous, I'd rather have an actual 4 wheel drive Blazer or something....as opposed to a 2 wheel drive Cadillac that's been jacked up just to fit some big rims on.

Must be a ***** getting up in that thing without a step plate. I can't see how they can even be legal with the bumpers so high...

Anyways what do you make of them?
Well I guess their not low riders! I would probably spend my money on something else.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:12 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yep, Fleet . . . TOP HEAVY equals EASY FLIP-OVER equals SUPER DANGEROUS!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Well I guess their not low riders! I would probably spend my money on something else.
I would definitely spend my money on something else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive