Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Really?

Well, let's see: I work with Scouting. We go to camps. 6 Kids - their camping gear, two adults - their gear - just will not fit in a "small car".

We have a travel trailer - and a boat. Once again, a small car does not work.

Now, you may say that working with kids is "excess, waste and gluttony" but, I don't.

You may say that having a travel trailer and a boat for recreation is "excess, waste and gluttony" but, I don't.

So, It is simply a matter of a difference of opinion as to what is "excess, waste and gluttony" now, isn't it

I dare say, you really should not be the judge of someone elses life or tell them how they should lead their life -
hey smart guy i said that i was not directing my comment squarely at you. i don't know you. but since you insist, you can do all that and more with a minivan and achieve better gas mileage, cleaner emissions, and *gasp* even more space to cart those six count em six kids. not to mention it will in many cases be faster than a 2 ton+ SUV to boot

let me tell you about the people i know who drive suv's and big trucks. and i live in the great upper midwest, lemme tell you there's alot of them. they have only one or two kids; they think OMG i'm pregnant i guess i better buy a big suv to fit all of the kids stuff, heh. they've got an attic full of camping gear that never sees the light of day (and frankly, that could all fit into the trunk of my impreza), no boat for most of them, but the ones that do really don't have a good reason not to leave that boat at a permanent dock anyway. i dont need to go on. this is the land of gluttony. people's choices in vehicles completely reflect that. its all about who's got the biggest what and later how they justify why they "need" it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
hey smart guy i said that i was not directing my comment squarely at you. i don't know you. but since you insist, you can do all that and more with a minivan and achieve better gas mileage, cleaner emissions, and *gasp* even more space to cart those six count em six kids. not to mention it will in many cases be faster than a 2 ton+ SUV to boot

let me tell you about the people i know who drive suv's and big trucks. and i live in the great upper midwest, lemme tell you there's alot of them. they have only one or two kids; they think OMG i'm pregnant i guess i better buy a big suv to fit all of the kids stuff, heh. they've got an attic full of camping gear that never sees the light of day (and frankly, that could all fit into the trunk of my impreza), no boat for most of them, but the ones that do really don't have a good reason not to leave that boat at a permanent dock anyway. i dont need to go on. this is the land of gluttony. people's choices in vehicles completely reflect that. its all about who's got the biggest what and later how they justify why they "need" it.

Yeah, the 'ole "mini van" - of course - not much ground clearance with those mini vans - and, they are weight limited on towing capacity.

And, we camp all the time - so, our stuff is not in the attic. And, as for the boat, around here, we have a bunch of lakes - and we like to go to all of them - for us, mooring our boat does ot make sense.

Again, "gluttony" is subjective. You don't like SUV's? Great. I don't like Mini Vans - see, we can each make our own decisions - that is what makes this country great - don't you agree

I guess I shouldn't ask for your opinion on the big motorhomes??

Old 12-27-2007, 04:56 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
They had better not touch the Range Rover. You will see one pissed off chick if they stop making that car.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:50 PM

157 posts, read 651,817 times
Default just for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Results I've seen talk about 100,000 miles plus as the battery life. A pretty good site is epa.gov/otag/consumer/fuels/altfuels.htm. The disposal question is one that you do not find too much information about, as well as the fact that there are some unique challanges to taking care of results from accidents - both on road and the kind that plauged laptops.

Another issue is the fact that you have to look at the entire cycle of energy production. We still would need to generate electrictity to keep the vehicles going. So we must look at the pollution effects of producting the electricity to fill up the batteries and ignore that part of the equation when looking at the benefits of electric vehicles. It's clear, though, that a lot of progress has been made in the field.

My thoughts are to go beyond all this. Why look at electric vehicles that still need the power generation grid and its problems, or using food for fuel. Let's go full out on hydrogen - fuel cells.
I agree about going beyond (although I cannot claim to know much about hydrogen). How about magnetics .. trains, engines .. I know little, anyone know more?

This may not be a great long-term solution for reasons given in Ron's quote, but a 125 mph electric car still sounds FUN !

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Old 12-27-2007, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,730 times
Way to go to the Member " rickers " I Love your view on the SUV !
" I LOVE MY BUICK SUV "

"SMILE" THE SUV ROCKS!
SO DOES THE FLORIDA'S sUNSHINE ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive