Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 04:18 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

I found out that I need a car to drive to my internship. I was trying to get away without having to get one and just rely on the bus, but my shift ends after the bus stops running. My other option would have been to take a cab, but even that doesn't work, because the person I'm working under wants me to have transportation ready when we get off, and we get out at different times, so it looks like I'm stuck looking for a car yet again.

Here are the options I was interested in:

Lease a vehicle for about $200 per month. I think the more fuel efficient vehicles will add up to less money used when you factor in fuel and maintenance costs. There is less that can go wrong with a new car than a used one. I could easily be looking at $1000 or more in necessary repairs for a used car. A vehicle lease also usually requires a lower credit score than a vehicle purchase.

Buy a used car off of Craigslist or from the back lot of a dealership. This is where I've gotten many of my cars in the past. I know of a mechanic who can check them for me, and I know a few of the signs of a bad deal--the car has to crank and run, it has to have clean parts, the fluids must be clear, the seller can't act like he/ she is in a hurry to get rid of it, it shouldn't make any unusual noises, the owner shouldn't be afraid to drive it, and it shouldn't be priced too far above or too far below its suggested resale value. A lot of research is required to get a car that will potentially last, and usually even careful searching leads to cars that need significant repairs.

What should I choose? I will need a car until about January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Can you work out a long term rental? It may be worth doing something like that. With coupons and discounts and since you don't need it past 4-5 months even if it costs slightly more than 200 a month you're not stuck with a used car or a 24-36 month lease

Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Do you have cash?
Will you need a car after January?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:13 PM

423 posts, read 457,794 times
In your case, I say go buy a used Honda Civic for $10k and call it a day. Leasing in general is a "waste" of money, because you're paying for a car just to drive it(its favored among people who like to change cars often). Where as buying a car, you own it after you finish paying it off and only end up losing money to depreciation. With leasing, since the car is new and new cars typically depreciate more, you are paying more in the long run.

Not all used cars are bad and require $1000 in repairs. I picked up a used Corolla once and all it needed was $100 worth of work(TCU reset and 2 new tires).

Old 08-21-2014, 12:56 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
'because the person I'm working under wants me to have transportation ready when we get off.'

Why? Is that a job requirement? Sounds like they plan on bumming lots of rides from you. Bad enough it's an internship and you won't be paid.

Get a cheap beater, the appeal of riding with you will fade fast. In no way should you incur auto debt for an internship.

It would help if we knew what the budget was.......

Old 08-21-2014, 01:43 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Without a steady paycheck, buy the nicest car you can pay for in CASH.

I bought a Volvo 240 sedan at a Salvation Auto Army auction for $475 once. It was such a great car.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
'because the person I'm working under wants me to have transportation ready when we get off.'

Why? Is that a job requirement? Sounds like they plan on bumming lots of rides from you. Bad enough it's an internship and you won't be paid.

Get a cheap beater, the appeal of riding with you will fade fast. In no way should you incur auto debt for an internship.

It would help if we knew what the budget was.......
Really, I want the cheapest thing I can get away with. I would take a beat-up $500 junker if I knew it would run well and get me to and from my internship on time for the few months that I need it. I'm still a college student; we don't have a ton of money.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:45 PM

^^^ Then do it. That's the way to go. Just get AAA for emergencies. I do that with new cars, too. Get something like a blue hair ride, a Crown Vic or Buick. They will never want a ride.

My '02 LeSabre is bulletproof and it would retail for 3500 top end.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
^^^ Then do it. That's the way to go. Just get AAA for emergencies. I do that with new cars, too. Get something like a blue hair ride, a Crown Vic or Buick. They will never want a ride.

My '02 LeSabre is bulletproof and it would retail for 3500 top end.
The more I think about it, that does seem like the way to go.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:10 PM

kmb, if ye have never heard of him please Google Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University.

A job does not make debt okay. You are still gambling on future returns. Play with what you know you have now.

Crown Vics, Malibus and other police type boats are easy to work on and everybody knows how to. Yeah, Toyos and Hondas are the reliability staple but they also have that cool factor. Get a geekmobile and kiss your coworker goodbye. Also, the bluehair rides aren't as desireable so they can be had el cheapo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive