Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to buy a exhaust kit from Rock Auto because it's only $155.

He asked me to see if they are reputable. There's a discrepancy among the review sites.

Resellerratings ranks it 1-1/2 stars out of 99 reviews.

Customer Lobby ranks it 5 starts out off 16,329 reviews.

Yelp ranks it 4 starts out of 33 reviews.

I'm inclined to believe customer lobby since it's based on such a large number of reviews, but I wanted to check here to see if any CD members had an opinion.

Last edited by Hopes; 08-21-2014 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 04:43 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
By Auto Rock do you mean Rock Auto?

RockAuto Parts Catalog

If this is what you are referring to, I've ordered parts from them in the past with no issues at all, granted it has been a few years. I do remember that they were steep on shipping costs, but if you bundled a bunch of parts together, the shipping gets reasonable.

If you are referring to something called Auto Rock, then I have no clue.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Rock Auto! Silly me. I fixed it and changed the thread title.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Old 08-21-2014, 04:54 PM

522 posts, read 721,741 times
yep, they're alright.

Bought many a part from them in the past.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:56 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
RockAuto is a big name in the parts world; I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them. I've purchased several parts from them over the years and have only two gripes:

1. Shipping can be pricey, especially if the order contains multiple items coming from separate warehouses. The prices are all shown upfront during the 'Checkout' process, but it can be a bit of a frustrating game deciding which parts to order to truly get the best overall price.

2. The packaging can sometimes leave a bit to be desired. I've received several parts that were thrown into shipping boxes many times too large with no padding, leaving the part to jumble all over within the box. As of yet, it's never damaged the item itself (though the item's packaging has taken a BEATING), but it'd be nice to see a bit more care.

FWIW, Amazon has been making headway into the auto parts world as well. It'd be worthwhile to pop the part number for your item into their site and see what comes up. I've often found them to be much cheaper than RockAuto, especially once shipping is considered.

Mike

Old 08-21-2014, 05:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I've ordered parts that had a vague description and ended up not fitting. In some cases I couldn't get to the repair. Their return policy is pretty good. I have no problem using them. I usually price check between a Rock Auto Partsgeek and 1AAuto. I just go by part numbers. Whoever has cheapest price and shipping gets my business.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:05 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
Rockauto.com is by far the best and cheapest place to order car parts from. Last night i placed an order for:

belt tensioner, serpentine belt, 2 inner 2 outter tie rod ends,2 tie rod adjusting sleeves, rear tail light lense all for $179 including shipping Placed the order around 11pm last night got an email this morning saying it's shipped on it's way.

All that stuff I ordered would cost me over $400 from the chain part stores I checked. And it's quality name brands MOOG for tie rod ends, Gates for the tensioner, Goodyear gatorback belt.

This is the 6th time I ordered from Rockauto.com they are phenomenal

Old 08-21-2014, 05:12 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
Yeah shipping is somewhat higher at Rockauto but who cares. Try buying the same parts at Advance, Pepboys, Autozone, Oreillys, Napa and you will pay double or triple. I save at least over $100 every time vs buying from a parts store.

The only thing parts stores are good for is if something breaks and you need it NOW. If you can wait about 4 days for parts it's a no brainer. I usually don't wait for a part to break on my vehicles I am meticulous with preventative maintenance that's why I can wait for a delivery.

p.s. You also get quality OEM quality name brand parts from RA not the chinese crap most part stores sell.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:41 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Rockauto is good. Cheap prices and reasonable if you get it shipped from one warehouse. Advance Auto with coupons can also get you some very nice deals and you can get it same day

Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,144 times
I've ordered parts 50+ times from them...they have never disappointed me and they stand behind their products. From a bumper to a window motor to an ABS sensor to a radiator...always cheaper than the rest and really fast shipping. If I order on Monday, I know that i will have part by the weekend. Sometimes you can find stuff on super clearance and get a really smoking deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive