Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What??

Just use your damn turn signal when turning. You don't need to overthink the sh*t out of a very simple task.
It's an exercise in thought. Maybe some are not capable of that. That's ok.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-24-2014 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I'm not sure what a two way left turn lane is, but I'm sure I use my signal there. I use tjem exiting any type of driveway as well. I figure with the two variations of traffic light patterns, and most turn lanes are centered/jutting over with opposed turn lanes facing eachnother, you have either same side left and straight faring traffic with a green, or the turning greens, then straight greens, so yeah I think it's pointless, unless it's a turn option lane.
http://www.muni.org/Departments/poli..._turnlanes.jpg

The center lane there is a two-way turn lane. I still remember my driver's ed instructor calling them "suicide lanes," because both sides of the road use the same lane to turn left.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:32 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
you signal just before you get into the turn-only lane and the slight shift in lanes won't toggle it off anyway. Leave it on. Simple.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It's an exercise in thought. Maybe some are not capable of that. That's ok.
It's an exercise in navel-gazing. Maybe some are not capable of using their turn signals without gratuitous navel-gazing. That's OK, as long as you're actually using your signal when turning.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:45 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
As Charlie Brown would say . . . GOOD GRIEF.

TURN SIGNALS should be used whenever a turn is coming up . . . regardless of the law.
Really. Come on folks. You're driving, it isn't that much of an inconvenience to reach up a few inches...and...you can do it now... flip the lever. Who wants to have some text-er who isn't paying attention try to figure out what you're going to do?

Old 08-24-2014, 01:36 PM

284 posts, read 378,845 times
A few people, myself included, have listed the many reasons why using the turn signal, whenever turning, is such a great idea. Safety, and all that.

Can someone who doesn't think it's necessary please explain the advantages, safety, energy savings, whatever reason they don't bother? Is there any reason, except they're too lazy or inconsiderate?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:59 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
A few people, myself included, have listed the many reasons why using the turn signal, whenever turning, is such a great idea. Safety, and all that.

Can someone who doesn't think it's necessary please explain the advantages, safety, energy savings, whatever reason they don't bother? Is there any reason, except they're too lazy or inconsiderate?
Agree with you. Turn signal-use is one of the rules for driving on the road, and if the turn signal does not work hand signal is used. That's why a cop can give one a ticket for not using the turn signals.

If you read the CDL handbook, truck drivers are very careful to turn the signal long before the turn, and into the turn regardless if they are in a turn lane or not. And before one drives to a turning lane, the turn signal is use; this signal in turn stays on automatically until the steering wheel is turned in the opposite direction and the cut-off switch is placed in neutral by the steering mechanism.

It is just common sense. Other pedestrians, automobile and motorcycle drivers, and so on can't read one's mind and realize one is planning to turn. In fact we humans haven't evolved to the point where ESP is the norm

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-24-2014 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 04:06 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,509 times
I am a stickler for signaling, yup even at 2am when I'm the only car on the road. However There have been times I deliberately have not signaled, but only after surveying the situation very closely*, to conserve the light bulb power in my turn signal. I do self-maintenance on the car for simple tasks, replacing burnt-out turn signals is not fun.

* the times I deliberately have not signaled are only in this one specific situation: when I'm in a left turn lane, and not the lead car in the lane, and the car behind me is not signaling.

If I'm the lead car then I always signal. If the car behind me is signaling then I signal too, because I can tell he/she is a stickler for signaling so I don't want them to be upset with me

Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
http://www.muni.org/Departments/poli..._turnlanes.jpg

The center lane there is a two-way turn lane. I still remember my driver's ed instructor calling them "suicide lanes," because both sides of the road use the same lane to turn left.
A center turn lane, yeah, I mentioned that in my first post.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:33 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
If you don't use your turn signals how do we know you know which way you're actually going to turn. Some idiots get into the left turn or right turn lanes then decide to jump back into the through lanes.
It's the law that you are to use your signals whenever you make any type of lane change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive